Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

MoJoKe

OK firstly Mr EBS_Freak, thank you. I feel you've probably gone far beyond what's expected from you just in helping me.
Cant thank you enough. Really appreciate it.
Ive taken you up on your suggestion and contacted my local dealer of the UE900s.
I will let you know what they come back with regarding price etc. May even just get moulds first as last :blush: :D

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469026080' post='3095193']
That's brilliant.
Ordered :)
Can i join the club now? B)
[/quote]
Nice one.

We don't need clubs round here :P We just share the knowhow with anybody prepared to listen!

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469032228' post='3095247']
I'll be able to hear you crystal clear now ;)
Thanks again, really have been superbly helpful
[/quote]
No problem - and let us know how you get on. Enjoy the revelation!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1469050398' post='3095461']
No problem - and let us know how you get on. Enjoy the revelation!
[/quote]

Ordered the P1, a 15M XLR to Jack lead, and the UE900s all for under £250!
Should all be here by Monday at the latest, so I'm looking forward to giving them a blast at next weeks rehearsal!

That's going to be sweet. I'm expecting pics of your new gear! :) (It's been a while since we've had some pics on this thread).

Congratulations on your purchases and I'm waiting to hear your feedback from your first outing!

Those UE900s are going to give you the bass that I know you are going to crave. Just make sure you get a good seal and go with the idea that the only things that you can hear are what you put in your mix. Remember your auxes need to be sent pre fader too. There will be a setting to select this on the Behringer interface.

Big thumbs up.

Tried the set up at last nights practice. I'm converted!!
The seal wasn't 100% all the time from the standard memory foam tips, so will look to custom moulds next, but for the meantime, bloody hell what a difference!
Don't need a speaker anymore so wondering if i even need an amp, or if its a better idea to purchase a quality Pre-amp and have that driven by the PAs power amp.
Don't even know if that's possible!
A Whole new world of opportunity has been opened to me :lol:

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469606422' post='3099621']
Tried the set up at last nights practice. I'm converted!!
The seal wasn't 100% all the time from the standard memory foam tips, so will look to custom moulds next, but for the meantime, bloody hell what a difference!
Don't need a speaker anymore so wondering if i even need an amp, or if its a better idea to purchase a quality Pre-amp and have that driven by the PAs power amp.
Don't even know if that's possible!
A Whole new world of opportunity has been opened to me :lol:
[/quote]
Woop! Welcome to the new world.

Glad to hear that there has been a revelation. I'm surprised you can't find a set of tips out of that lot that will seal properly - however, your ears may be like mine - completely odd shaped and nothing stays in there (apart from my customs). At least if you go for a reshell you haven't thrown away money as you can still make use of the UE900s as the donor - so all is good! (Can't really do that with 215s!)

Talking of which - how are you finding the UE900s? You have enough bass - without any signs of struggling? I think you'll be stoked with the dual lows, especially when you take them out on a gig. If you do go custom moulds, I think you will be further impressed - the customs give an extra something that you can't even begin to contemplate until you have them - perfect seal, greater isolation so you can control your mix even better - and crucially even further extension of the bass (the better the seal, the better the bass response).

It's crazy that people balk at the cost of IEMs - but when you consider what people spend on Bergs, Vanderklays etc... and just use them for a monitor on stage (with the PA doing all the work out front) IEMs can actually be pretty cheap and actually deliver you a far superior sound at a far safer, more enjoyable volume. I'm kind of jealous of people going through the revelation and seeing how good in ear monitoring can be. I'm pretty far along my IEM journey now but have found it to be extremely addictive chasing the perfect onstage mix in my ears. Nothing compares to that first gig I did with a proper IEM setup though. Game changer. Even years on, I still love it and am completely addicted.

re: preamp, unless you are recording, I would wager that the inbuilt preamp on your X18 is infinitely more tweakable than any analogue preamp. What I would do, is either physically split your bass into two channels on your desk, or digital replicate the input of one channel onto another channel on your desk (through routing). That way, you can eq just your bass for front of house and eq for your inears independently - this is obviously different to the global EQ that you have on your aux out. You'll find that the sound that you EQ out the front is not ideal for inears - you'll probably want to curb the treble... and the bass - well, that depends upon if you are running subs out front or not. Same with guitar too - guitar can sound thin through inears so make use of the processing on the desk on a channel strictly for your inears.

Above all, keep experimenting.

Well i have nothing to compare the UE900s to really, apart from standard headphones. Which isnt really fair.
But i was impressed! Really impressed.
To be fair the seal is good, 90% of the time. Just now and again when i go to speak or sing etc, i lose the seal.
Cant complain at all really, just being picky (and justifying the custom moulds :rolleyes: )
Yeh i would have thought you're right regarding the pre amp on the X18. I think it will take a bit of research, and trying a few things out.
It's all good though, i look forward to all the experimentation with my new bit of kit :)

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1469623214' post='3099792']
Well i have nothing to compare the UE900s to really, apart from standard headphones. Which isnt really fair.
But i was impressed! Really impressed.
To be fair the seal is good, 90% of the time. Just now and again when i go to speak or sing etc, i lose the seal.
Cant complain at all really, just being picky (and justifying the custom moulds :rolleyes: )
Yeh i would have thought you're right regarding the pre amp on the X18. I think it will take a bit of research, and trying a few things out.
It's all good though, i look forward to all the experimentation with my new bit of kit :)
[/quote]
If you try your standard phone headphones (e.g. those apple phones that people seem to rate) in the band situation, you should discover their shortcomings pretty quickly - particularly if you are running uncompressed bass.

When singing - yeah, that's a problem for some people too - if you go custom, make sure you go for an open mouth impression if you are the lead singer - or semi open impression if you are a backing vocalist. Justification of the customs is fully understandable - I just don't think you can get anywhere near the seal of customs with universals.

Experimentation is key - get to grasps with what you have got before spending anything - especially things like Avalons! :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1469632054' post='3099908']

Experimentation is key - get to grasps with what you have got before spending anything
[/quote]

Planning on setting up and having a good few hours to hone in a good sound as possible this weekend

Sorry in advance if this has been covered, but does anyone have a source for custom moulds which will take either SE215s or normal filters, depending on what is needed at the time? My son is a drummer and we all know what that can do to his ears. He has a pair of 215s but I want to get him a set of moulded plugs. If he could plop the 215s in as in-ears it would make sense for now.

TIA.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1469699765' post='3100375']
Sorry in advance if this has been covered, but does anyone have a source for custom moulds which will take either SE215s or normal filters, depending on what is needed at the time? My son is a drummer and we all know what that can do to his ears. He has a pair of 215s but I want to get him a set of moulded plugs. If he could plop the 215s in as in-ears it would make sense for now.

TIA.
[/quote]

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/iems/custom-fit-earphone-sleeves.php
http://acscustom.com/uk/product-category/hearing-protection/

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1469717885' post='3100612']
Thanks for these. I was hoping for ones which would accept either 215s or noise reduction filters depending on the circumstances.
[/quote]
They may do - best to ask - I know that ACS universal single driver fits into their moulds - which also houses a standard size filter. Given the fact that their universal single driver also takes standard fit tips, it should figure that their moulds should take a 215 as 215s take standard tips also.

Update on the Apex/Adel situ.

The Apex and Adel are different modules apparently with the former offering greater isolation and improvements over the latter. I don't know what's going on but it's pretty pants that 64 kept this one quiet whilst still accepting orders for the Adel knowing this to be the case.

Anyway, there's a YouTube video showing the Apex. Wondering if this is some break away from Asius or something else legal based.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1469699765' post='3100375']

TIA.
[/quote]

[url="https://snugsearphones.co.uk/"]Snugs[/url] do custom sleeves for SE215's. I don't think you can swap them with filters but you could always just use the SE215's as earplugs as well when needed.

My Linum Bax cable on my ACS Evolves has gone faulty at the jack end. I still don't think there's enough support on there for how thin that cable is. I'm still tempted to see if ACS will reshell them into customs for me at some point.

the trouble I have with IEM is for the full mix everything has to be miced up, which is unnecessary for a pub gig, I saw a band on Friday that just used IEM in one ear, which allowed them to hear the drums etc with the other, I have asked this question before and was told it wouldn't work because you'd have to have the volume too high in the one ear, but I spoke to the band afterwards and they got on with it just fine

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1470567878' post='3106738']
the trouble I have with IEM is for the full mix everything has to be miced up, which is unnecessary for a pub gig, I saw a band on Friday that just used IEM in one ear, which allowed them to hear the drums etc with the other, I have asked this question before and was told it wouldn't work because you'd have to have the volume too high in the one ear, but I spoke to the band afterwards and they got on with it just fine
[/quote]

I would wager the band aren't clued enough to realise the damage they are doing to their ears. Using inears properly means you have no - absolutely no at all - whistling ears after a gig. I would wager this band have whistling ears after a gig in both ears, so probably don't even realise the extra damage that the overly loud inear piece has done to their one ear because it's whistling anyway. It's setups like this that cause people to say, "I tried IEMs and they are crap". No they aren't. Their implementation is crap.

You know, you can mic up an average sized band with very few mics... a kick and overhead for the drums will get you an OK mix... stick a mic in front of the guitar cab and DI your bass. Everything else will be going through the PA anyway I would presume. So it's not that much of an overhead to protect your ears is it?

The other thing to consider, is that bands actually sound better out front with less volume on stage and your PA doing the work - so it makes sense to mic up anyway. For example, you have a loud guitarist in a pub situation - lets say he's standing stage left. He's ripping the ears off the punters at the front in front of the cab. Meanwhile, a few people deep back in the audience, the guitar is occluded and difficult to hear properly... at the back of the pub, you can't hear the guitar at all. Due to the highly directional nature of guitar cabs, all the audience that are stage right can't hear much anyway.

Best thing to do, is mic it up and let the PA do the work - voila, everybody can hear clearly and the mix stands a much better chance of sounding decent no matter where in the audience you are standing.

Result? The band sounds better, you have a situation where you can set up a decent inear monitoring situation and your ears are likely to be healthier for longer.

Lets not also forget that a band with IEMs is a lot, lot less likely to suffer with feedback problems that tends to be common place with pub bands. Nobody likes that sh*t.