In Ear Monitors - help needed...

680 replies to this topic

#61 ukbassboy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

I was very close to buying a pair of T1s but went for a pair of Aud-5Xs from http://audioearz.com/
I didn't take this decision lightly and put a fair bit of research in to finding the ones that were best for me. After reading a lot of (very positive) reviews on headfi I decided that the wait for the 5 driver 5Xs were worth it, especially as I had the opportunity to get them tax free. Mitch, the guy that does them was really helpful and I happily recommend him.
I actually prefer the acrylic to the silicon; I have silicon earplugs for work and they acrylic just slide in and out easier which I prefer. Silicon will give you a little bit more noise isolation but in saying that, Mitch actually fills part of the 5Xs with silicon so that evens things out a bit.
Yamaha TRB5Pii
Yamaha BB605 modded with Ultra Jazzes and Bartolini 5.4 Pre Amp (gigging bass)
1979 Fender P Bass in Natural
Musicman Bongo 5HH in Desert Gold
Crafter 4 string acoustic (for when I'm just too lazy to turn on my amp!)

Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0
bareFaced Big One
Ashdown ABM410T

#62 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

Good stuff - what colour scheme did you go for in the end then? (this is a very important factor when it comes to cIEMs!)

What are you using in front of you IEMs? Wired/Wireless?

#63 ukbassboy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

I went for clear in the end as I wanted them to be as inconspicuous as possible, especially for when I´m using them on public transport and stuff. I quite like how you can see all the drivers crammed in their too which isn't a problem when they are well made and devoid of defects. I´ve seen some that have the first half inch coloured (normally red-left/blue-right) which would help disguise any ear wax a little.
If you have any question about potential IEMs then head over to head-fi (pun intended) as a guy called average_joe has done some incredibly indepth reviews of the best Custom IEMS. He was also very forthcoming with advice when I messaged him direct (see here for his reveiw of the ones I bought http://www.head-fi.o...eciation-thread)
Oh, and I've stuck with wired into the IEM mixing desk as I dont need to wander around on stage and just prefer the simplicity of being plugged in. Its also a LOT cheaper!
Yamaha TRB5Pii
Yamaha BB605 modded with Ultra Jazzes and Bartolini 5.4 Pre Amp (gigging bass)
1979 Fender P Bass in Natural
Musicman Bongo 5HH in Desert Gold
Crafter 4 string acoustic (for when I'm just too lazy to turn on my amp!)

Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.0
bareFaced Big One
Ashdown ABM410T

#64 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've spent many an hour trawling through head-fi. Some very informed people on there... some very not so informed too! I've checked a lot of average_joe's threads. Seems particularly clued up with real world experience - unlike alot of guys out there posting drivel on the internet!

#65 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

View PostEBS_freak, on 26 September 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Quite excited - I have been asked to audition a truck load of iems against my T1s. Looking forward to some JHA16 action... my credit card is trembling.

How this came about is that I was talking about ACS and the T1s, (being more than peeved that the ambient system still hasn't materialised) and I started thinking, given what the retail price on these ambient systems are reporting to be, it may aswell be prudent to look at other IEMs to gauge how good my ACS T1s fair against some of the real top end IEMs. I haven't missed the ambient sound at this stage - I thought I would (hence my want of the ambient system)... so thought I would investigate just how good the quality of the sound coming from the ACS really is and maybe rethink. Who knows...

Rethink done! My ACS are going to be taking backseat against my new order. Guess who spent the weekend auditioning CIEMs?

#66 VicMacKey

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi there,

Newbie in the IEM world have questions about IEM wireless systems for you the experts !

I understood the IEM part is the most important part.
So for those who bought ACS IEM, T1 Live or T1 seem to be a great choice.
Did you make your ACS IEM custom with molding it to your ears ?
Or ACS is selling top of line IEM as standard without molding ?

Another point is I cannot make a decision about the frequency range for the IEM wireless systems.
Wireless systems like the Shure PSM900 or Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3 seem to become obsolete as frequencies are used or reserved through time for other applications.
How make a decision about a wireless system according to the frequency range ?
This would be a shame a 1 Grand IEM wireless systems would be not usable after a few years only.

Last but not least :
AKG released the IVM 4500 wireless system in 2012, as Shure released PSM 900 in 2011 and Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3 in 2009.
The're all in the same price range.
Shure PSM 900 seems to be a winner... but why buying an 2 or 3 years old product when the newest seems to be the better as transmitting sound through wireless required the best technology available ?

Thanks a lot,

#67 LiamPodmore

Ummm..... I play bass?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Interests:Anything that sounds good, and some things that don't. Oh, and those computer things, i like them too.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostVicMacKey, on 07 November 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Hi there,

Newbie in the IEM world have questions about IEM wireless systems for you the experts !

I understood the IEM part is the most important part.
So for those who bought ACS IEM, T1 Live or T1 seem to be a great choice.
Did you make your ACS IEM custom with molding it to your ears ?
Or ACS is selling top of line IEM as standard without molding ?

Another point is I cannot make a decision about the frequency range for the IEM wireless systems.
Wireless systems like the Shure PSM900 or Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3 seem to become obsolete as frequencies are used or reserved through time for other applications.
How make a decision about a wireless system according to the frequency range ?
This would be a shame a 1 Grand IEM wireless systems would be not usable after a few years only.

Last but not least :
AKG released the IVM 4500 wireless system in 2012, as Shure released PSM 900 in 2011 and Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3 in 2009.
The're all in the same price range.
Shure PSM 900 seems to be a winner... but why buying an 2 or 3 years old product when the newest seems to be the better as transmitting sound through wireless required the best technology available ?

Thanks a lot,

ACS T Series are only sold as custom moulds as far as im aware, and i don't think you should have too much trouble with any of those 3 systems. The Sennheiser still seems to be a touring standard, and i believe (though he'll correct me if i'm wrong) that EBS_freak uses the Shure PSM900 system and highly rates it. The latest wireless tech is all moving toward digital stuff, which isn't adequate for IEM's at the moment due to latency issues as far as i'm aware.

Liam
Instruments:
1986 Fender MIJ Precision|2010 Fender Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe V|2007 Ibanez GSR200|Yamaha FJX720SC|
Amps:
Warwick ProFet 5.1|Gear4Music 25B|
Effects/Pedals:
Boss TU-2|MXR M80|Marshall JH-1|Pedaltrain Nano|
Random Stuff:
AudioSpares & Control Cables|Elixir Strings|Fender & Dunlop Straps|

My Photography: Facebook Flickr

#68 tonyf

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

View PostMoJoKe, on 26 June 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

The MEI1000 is very good, the output is strong and good quality and not had any issues with noise or dropout, so all good so far. I like the sound of a talkback system, that sounds interesting. it's definitely a problem which we'll need to address too!

Is yours the MEI1000 X version? Just all confused about the differences between the G2 and X version. Seems to be frequencies. Is that right?

What does the MEI1000 offer above and beyond the MEI100?

T
Bassist for Second City Soul - Playing classic and contemporary soul, funk and R&B (http://www.secondcitysoul.com/)

Stuff an' ting
Basses:
Spector Euro 4 LX (Cherry Red) | Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn DPLE 4 (Sherwood Green) | Yamaha Nathan East Signature (Blueburst) | Sire V7 5 String (Swamp Ash Sunburst) | Funker Derision build (White/Maple) - build diary here
Amplification: EBS HD350 + Bergantino CN212 | EBS Reidmar 250 + Classic 112 | Line 6 Lowdown 110 Studio | Auralex Gramma Pad
FX/Outboard: EBS Microbass II | Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeller | MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter | MXR M288 Bass Octaver | EHX Bass Micro Synth | Sony GWZ-B30GB Wireless | LD Systems MEI1000X + 1964 Ears V8

View my feedback

#69 Gunsfreddy2003

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Interests:Funky music!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

Yep ACS T1 are only available as a custom fit monitor, they are good and I am happy with mine but EBS Freak is right into all of this and has opted for another brand offering multiple bass drivers and he said that the bass response blew ACS out of the water so definitely worth checking out his opinion and findings.

One thing I would ask is Do you really need a wireless system? Unless you are very mobile on stage the answer is probably no! A wired system is a lot cheaper my friend!!

View PostLiamPodmore, on 07 November 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

ACS T Series are only sold as custom moulds as far as im aware, and i don't think you should have too much trouble with any of those 3 systems. The Sennheiser still seems to be a touring standard, and i believe (though he'll correct me if i'm wrong) that EBS_freak uses the Shure PSM900 system and highly rates it. The latest wireless tech is all moving toward digital stuff, which isn't adequate for IEM's at the moment due to latency issues as far as i'm aware.

Liam

1977 Pre EB Stingray
2011 Musicman Stingray Classic 5 (with East 3 band pre-amp)
GB Rumour 5 string
Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 String
EBS HD350
Bergantino HT112ER
Bergantino EX112ER
Hartke HA1400
SWR Workingman 1x10" x 2
SWR Workingman 1x15"
Akai Deep Impact
TC Electronics Polytune
TC Electronics Corona Chorus
MXR Bass Envelope Filter
SFX blender/looper
Boss OC-2
Aguilar Filter Twin
Cables by George L and pedalboard by Pedaltrain

http://www.soularfunk.co.uk

My Feedback

#70 VicMacKey

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate!

Fact is, I played once on a very large stage.
First, the wire going from the bass to the pedalboard discońnected as I was going too far from my area.
I hope I ll play on this kind of stage once again.
And the idea comes from the Guitar player to go wireless as he frequently has the same issue as he is moving a lot on stage, large or small.

Second, believe it or not, we had a very bad sound on this large stage.
We try to bring our own sound guy with us at each gig but he is not always available. He was not there this time.
So sometimes we have a bad sound on stage, despite the fact sound is good for the audience. I mean I sometimes don't hear what the Guitar is playing, kick is muddy, bass notes are not clear and so on.
So we also though it was time to have IEM.

Why being wired with IEM while you'd like to be wireless with your instrument?

If we go wired we'll still have the disconnection issue. But I perfectly understand your point, going wired is the best solution regarding the price, the latency, the hassle on stage, the overall sound quality.

Edited by VicMacKey, 08 November 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#71 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

ACS make all their T series IEMs as customs from impressions of your ears. Personally if you arent going for custom fits I would stick with the Shure buds or in particular the Sennheiser IE8s if thats within your budget as they develop a good amounts of bass. Also gives you option of getting some custom tips at a later date if you want to go down that route. ACS are guys that will make you great custom fit tips.

ACS is just one IEM manufacturer and I have been looking into many customs again. As Ive stated earlier in the thread, I rate ACS very highly but I believe that there are now other systems that will give you as good as, if not better audio for less money but you probably won't have the advantage of the silicon fit. It all depends if you want to go with the ambient pack option... and thats if it ever materialises. Also, ACS is silicon as opposed to acrylic. Without trying to push any particular brand, I'd certainly be looking at 1964, UM, Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Alien Ears for starters on the custom front.

As for frequencies, your choices are limited to what bands have been allocated by your country. For example, in the UK, theres channel 70 (free for all) and channel 38 (free for all if you hold the license). There are also licenses that you can obtain for ad hoc events or venue licenses but these are generally limited to large scale events. In the UK, most bands are going to be using 38 or 70. So in short, you are told by legislation what frequency band you are allowed to use and your kit must run on yhis frequency. If you dont, you may be unlucky and have to answer to the law and expect big fines or worse. So in short buy the correct gear for the correct frequencies. Be wary of buying stuff off ebay. There are alot of guys trying to offload channel 69 gear in the UK which is now illegal to use. Generally, license bands are pretty stable... Some manufacturers also offered a cheap service to modify older equipment to the new frequency bands. To be honest though, I think we are stable for a good period of time now.

As for release times of the systems, I dont see much to be gained by buying the latest and greatest. I dont think it follows like that. I bought the system I thought performed the best to my ears. This is all open to debate Im sure but at the time I bought my until the Shure and Sennheiser were pretty much identical in price. All my wireless systems are Shure so it seemed to make sense... and I can plan using Shures wireless workbench so that was cool for me. Industry standard wise, I believe there are as many Shure systems out there as the Sennheisers albeit in the PSM1000 form.

If you are going wireless instrument, it doesnt make much sense to go wired iem.

Edited by EBS_freak, 06 December 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#72 VicMacKey

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info !

Another question, I don't know if it has been already submitted but : is there a significant difference when number of drivers is increased ?
I mean 3 drivers seems OK, why 5 drivers, dual bass, etc ?
What's the most efficient configuration for live performance you would recommend ?

BTW I checked out the brands you mentionned, selected the models I was interested in, and tried to find the prices, it seems they're all in the same price range now compared to the ACS : http://www.handhelda...jectbin%2Cprice

Sorry to burden you with this and thanks again!

#73 Monckyman

Recidivist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

For what it's worth, myself and a client I work for (drummer) are very happy with our Shure E5c's into custom ACS moulds.
if you can find a pair for under £200 and gets some moulds that's some fine in ears for about £300

Fender-Ampeg

Feedback here>http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1407853

#74 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

With regards to whether there is a difference when increasing the number of drivers, the answer is yes and no. First up, when adding drivers, they need to be added so that they work in phase and such that the crossovers work in harmony with the frequencies of the drivers. Secondly, the addition of drivers can then add bias to a certain frequency range, typically the bass. So double the number of bass drivers typically givens the iems a greater amount of bass... however this doesnt always hold true. For example, doubling the bass can be done so that the headroom of the bass is increased but theres no perceived increase in the bass. This just means you can go louder before your drivers start to struggle as the load is shared between drivers.

For live performance I would always go for the system that gives you the most bass as that is the hardest set of frequencies to amplify, especially live and especially if you are a bass player or drummer. As to which iem is best, I guess that it comes down to budget and what you want to hear. You may prefer the sound of a duo to a triple or a quad. For example, a common discussion in the iem world is the difference between the jh13 and jh16. The 16 has two more bass drivers and develops more bass than the jh13s. For standard listening, a lot of people prefer the flat response of the jh13s whilst musicians using them for live use or bass heads plump for the jh16s. Everybody hears and prefers different sounds signatures so its best to audition iems for your prefered sound. ACS I think are quite pricey for a triple driver unit (they are actually a single and dual driver configuration as opposed to three seperate unit) compared to some of the competition... but having said that, I quite like the response of my ACS T1s but would say that I find the bass adequate as opposed to being full on. There are times where I crave for more bass and greater headroom.

As another option to moulds for universals... 1964, Unique Melody, Alien Ears are a few companies that will reshell your universal (or custom) IEMs if you manage to find a great set of universals at the right price... however, this does not mean a great sounding of universals will sound as great when reshelled; unless the alignment and shell volume is kept similar, it will change the characteristics for the better... or worse! A bit of a gamble!

There are lots of options out there so its best to keep what has been said in this thread in mind and go from there.

Edited by EBS_freak, 14 November 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#75 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostVicMacKey, on 11 November 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

BTW I checked out the brands you mentionned, selected the models I was interested in, and tried to find the prices, it seems they're all in the same price range now compared to the ACS : http://www.handhelda...jectbin%2Cprice

I didn't check your link earlier as I was out of the country and didn't want to get hit for roaming data costs but having seen it now, I don't agree that the prices are at all comparable... especially for a triple driver monitor.

Check the prices from here -

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/

Westone ES3X - £799
M Fidelity SA32 - £780
JH Audio JH7 - £620
ACS T1s - £609
Puretone Classic 3 - £609
Lear LCM3 - £440
Rooth LS3 - £400
1964-V3 - £399
Unique Melody Aero - £395
Minerva Mi-3 - £395 (silicon based like the ACS as opposed to acrylic)
Alien Ears C3 - £370

That's quite some spread of costs. If I was looking at spending approx the amount of money on T1s now, I think I would be more likely to push for something like the 1964-V6-S... just for the added headroom over the ACS. Of course, I'd be auditioning the range to see which one works best for my ears... but I would be very interested in hearing the difference between say the Alien Ears and the Westones... and the 1964s and Jerry Harveys for example.

#76 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Tony's been buying....... looking forward to your feedback man!

#77 mr zed

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:All things Bass and motorcycles.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Mr Zed has also been buying...........gone for a secondhand Sennheiser EW300 G2 model with a secondhand pair of Westone UM2's to get me started. All look brand new and sound brilliant. Total cost was £450 which to mind mind is a budget price for a quality system. Agreed, it is not the latest up-to-date kit but it sounds great to me and does the job extremely well. As money allows, i'll go for custom molded buds to further improve things (probably the 1964 quad drivers) but for the time being, i'm a happy bunny. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Russ (EBS Freak) who really has gone above and beyond with advice on these threads and for the many detailed PM's we have exchanged which has put me right on the in-ear journey. Russ, you are a fine example of what makes basschat so good!
Basses

Musicman 25th Anniversary HSS 4 string (2009) - flame/maple
Musicman Stingray HH 4 string (2014) - natural/rosewood/tort
Fender Jazz American Standard 4 string (2012) - olympic white/maple/tort
Harley Benton Progressive 5 string (2015) - white/rosewood/black
Double Bass of unknown origin

Effects

Zoom B9.1UT

Wireless

Stageclix pack wireless guitar bass system
Sennheiser G2 IEM/1964 Ears Qi's

Amplification

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0
2 x Bergantino HD210's

Motorbike

Suzuki GSXR 1000 motogp replica (2016)

#78 tonyf

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostEBS_freak, on 19 November 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Tony's been buying....... looking forward to your feedback man!

I have :-)

With more of Russ's invaluable assistance over the past few weeks, I've made a start on putting together our IEM solution.

My band consists of two main vocalists, a keyboard player, a guitarist, the drummer and me. Our keyboard player and drummer are now going wired IEMs, both of them having purchased some Shure SE215s as a toe into the earbud market. Both seem really happy for the moment but intend on investing on better buds as and when funds are available.

With the sale of a bass a few weeks ago, I had some spare cash so went out and purchased a LD Systems MEI1000X with a couple of receivers. The plan is for me and the guitarist to try these out over the next couple of gigs and iron out any problems. The MEI1000X allows you to run in mono, stereo or use the "focus mode" which allows one to pan from one side (left or right) into a centre mono mix. This means we can potentially use the one transmitter for two separate mixes.

Well, that's the theory. We need to have a think about how we set it up as we're currently limited with AUX outs on the desk so it maybe that me and Paul (the guitarist) share the same mix in focus mode (from left) and then the vocalists share the same mix in focus mode (right). That'd be a compromise for the moment (until we upgrade the desk) meaning we'd just need to buy a couple of more receivers for the vocalists to use the single transmitter. Dunno, we'll see if that can work if we can get me and Paul happy with the one mix.

In terms of buds, I've had a pair of Shure e2cs for a few years which have given good service with my iPhone but I wanted something better for the IEM solution. Russ has done wonderful work in making me realise that it's a whole world of wonder in choosing buds but I've had to really limit myself with how much to spend. Perhaps at some point in the future I'll splurge out on some serious custom molds kit but in the meantime, I've managed to score a pair of Shure SE535s which seem to be pretty amazing compared to the e2cs.

The triple drivers in the SE535s really do make a world of difference compared to the previous single driver pair. I guess it's all relative though, when you compare lesser spec'd monitors to higher spec'd ones. Hence the reason why I've told Russ I REALLY MUST NOT listen to anything else now for a while after splashing a load of cash on the SE535s. :D

I've got a small Mackie 12 channel mixer at home so have tested the system with a mic, bass and some music from my iPhone. it's surprising how much easier already it is to sing with the isolation in the phones and my vocals properly mixed into the foldback. I've always struggled at some gigs to pitch as the monitors are generally prioritised for the vocalists. However, with wearing IEMs, this seems to be a positive move for monitoring my bvs and bass.

Looking forward to gigging this weekend to see how it all hangs together in the "real world"

Yet again Russ, thanks for the invaluable help and I think from this point forward, you should now be known as IEM_Freak ;)

Cheers
T

Edited by tonyf, 19 November 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Bassist for Second City Soul - Playing classic and contemporary soul, funk and R&B (http://www.secondcitysoul.com/)

Stuff an' ting
Basses:
Spector Euro 4 LX (Cherry Red) | Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn DPLE 4 (Sherwood Green) | Yamaha Nathan East Signature (Blueburst) | Sire V7 5 String (Swamp Ash Sunburst) | Funker Derision build (White/Maple) - build diary here
Amplification: EBS HD350 + Bergantino CN212 | EBS Reidmar 250 + Classic 112 | Line 6 Lowdown 110 Studio | Auralex Gramma Pad
FX/Outboard: EBS Microbass II | Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeller | MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter | MXR M288 Bass Octaver | EHX Bass Micro Synth | Sony GWZ-B30GB Wireless | LD Systems MEI1000X + 1964 Ears V8

View my feedback

#79 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for the name check! :P

Glad that you have sorted yourself out - that's a great deal you've scored for the money! The EW300 will serve you well I am sure... nice find.

Have you gigged with them yet? How do you find them if you have? A revelation?

I think the 1964s are perfect - a quad with double bass drivers at a great price (not cheap but very competitively priced compared to the competition)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Edited by EBS_freak, 19 November 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#80 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

I wish I had filmed you and Greg at your gig so as to let people here understand why you are all wireless or maybe just clueless :lol:
PAT testing and food later then, see you in a bit :)
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#81 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

And thanks to Tony too!

The sad thing is, I'm kinda addicted to this stuff... as Tony has no doubt found out! (My wallet hates it when my brain goes into IEM mode!)

The good news for you Tony, is my latest order won't fit in your ears.

Besides, I'm more interested in the case :P

Edited by EBS_freak, 19 November 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#82 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 19 November 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I wish I had filmed you and Greg at your gig so as to let people here understand why you are all wireless or maybe just clueless :lol:
PAT testing and food later then, see you in a bit :)

Clueless. Yeah - that's more like it!

Yup. Looking forward to it! (Well, not so much the PAT testing element, more the food element and waitresses that look like your ex-girlfriends...!)

#83 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Food is always good, waitress thing just a bit weird. l8rs :)
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#84 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

View PoststingrayPete1977, on 19 November 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Food is always good, waitress thing just a bit weird. l8rs :)

You're not wrong. Freaks me out.

#85 tonyf

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostEBS_freak, on 19 November 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Besides, I'm more interested in the case :P

The plugs are amazing but that case is truly awesome in it's own right. There's nothing so sexy as shiny carbon fibre. Yummy!

Stuff an' ting
Basses:

View my feedback

#86 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 7,957 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Posttonyf, on 19 November 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

The plugs are amazing but that case is truly awesome in it's own right. There's nothing so sexy as shiny carbon fibre. Yummy!

I just hope that the whole thing lives up to my expectations - otherwise I've made a very costly mistake! :P

#87 mr zed

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostEBS_freak, on 19 November 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Thanks for the name check! :P

Glad that you have sorted yourself out - that's a great deal you've scored for the money! The EW300 will serve you well I am sure... nice find.

Have you gigged with them yet? How do you find them if you have? A revelation?

I think the 1964s are perfect - a quad with double bass drivers at a great price (not cheap but very competitively priced compared to the competition)

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Only had a chance to test that everything works ok before Mrs Zed snaffled said newly acquired kit, wrapped it in shiney red & white paper with pictures of reindeers on and proudly stated "these are for Christmas". Bit harsh if you ask me - I mean they're not even a toy are they? So, these will be used in anger for the first time on our new years eve gig. Looking forward to it, and i'll report back early in the new year.
Basses

Effects

Zoom B9.1UT

Wireless

Amplification

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0
2 x Bergantino HD210's

Motorbike

#88 mr zed

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Posttonyf, on 19 November 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

I have :-)

With more of Russ's invaluable assistance over the past few weeks, I've made a start on putting together our IEM solution.

My band consists of two main vocalists, a keyboard player, a guitarist, the drummer and me. Our keyboard player and drummer are now going wired IEMs, both of them having purchased some Shure SE215s as a toe into the earbud market. Both seem really happy for the moment but intend on investing on better buds as and when funds are available.

With the sale of a bass a few weeks ago, I had some spare cash so went out and purchased a LD Systems MEI1000X with a couple of receivers. The plan is for me and the guitarist to try these out over the next couple of gigs and iron out any problems. The MEI1000X allows you to run in mono, stereo or use the "focus mode" which allows one to pan from one side (left or right) into a centre mono mix. This means we can potentially use the one transmitter for two separate mixes.

Well, that's the theory. We need to have a think about how we set it up as we're currently limited with AUX outs on the desk so it maybe that me and Paul (the guitarist) share the same mix in focus mode (from left) and then the vocalists share the same mix in focus mode (right). That'd be a compromise for the moment (until we upgrade the desk) meaning we'd just need to buy a couple of more receivers for the vocalists to use the single transmitter. Dunno, we'll see if that can work if we can get me and Paul happy with the one mix.

In terms of buds, I've had a pair of Shure e2cs for a few years which have given good service with my iPhone but I wanted something better for the IEM solution. Russ has done wonderful work in making me realise that it's a whole world of wonder in choosing buds but I've had to really limit myself with how much to spend. Perhaps at some point in the future I'll splurge out on some serious custom molds kit but in the meantime, I've managed to score a pair of Shure SE535s which seem to be pretty amazing compared to the e2cs.

The triple drivers in the SE535s really do make a world of difference compared to the previous single driver pair. I guess it's all relative though, when you compare lesser spec'd monitors to higher spec'd ones. Hence the reason why I've told Russ I REALLY MUST NOT listen to anything else now for a while after splashing a load of cash on the SE535s. :D

I've got a small Mackie 12 channel mixer at home so have tested the system with a mic, bass and some music from my iPhone. it's surprising how much easier already it is to sing with the isolation in the phones and my vocals properly mixed into the foldback. I've always struggled at some gigs to pitch as the monitors are generally prioritised for the vocalists. However, with wearing IEMs, this seems to be a positive move for monitoring my bvs and bass.

Looking forward to gigging this weekend to see how it all hangs together in the "real world"

Yet again Russ, thanks for the invaluable help and I think from this point forward, you should now be known as IEM_Freak ;)

Cheers
T

Congrats on the new system Tony - glad it's all starting to come together for you. Let us know how you get on with your IEMs after your gig this weekend.
Basses

Effects

Zoom B9.1UT

Wireless

Amplification

Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0
2 x Bergantino HD210's

Motorbike

#89 tonyf

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostEBS_freak, on 19 November 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I just hope that the whole thing lives up to my expectations - otherwise I've made a very costly mistake! :P

If it doesn't, at least you've got a totally bangin' shiny carbon fibre small snack box :D

Stuff an' ting
Basses:

View my feedback

#90 tonyf

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

View Postmr zed, on 19 November 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Only had a chance to test that everything works ok before Mrs Zed snaffled said newly acquired kit, wrapped it in shiney red & white paper with pictures of reindeers on and proudly stated "these are for Christmas".

Genius! I like the cut of your jib goodly sire!

Wondering if I can convince Mrs TF to allow me extra "christmas pressies" this year?

;)

Edited by tonyf, 20 November 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Stuff an' ting
Basses:

View my feedback

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users