Why become a member? ×

Kids , beginner nylon or steel string

lojo

Im sure this must have been done before, if so please forgive me and post a link if pos.

Question is, my daughter aged 9 is now doing proper guitar lessons, learning to read and play from the start

Obviously fretting is easier on the nylon, but as I learnt the hard way , no teacher, sore fingers on both 6 string and bass it makes me wonder should it be straight to steel.

Teacher is cool whatever route we take, but I want to give my daughter the best chance, is this nylon string thing the widely accepted leaners route? Or is it debatable among teachers?

I reckon nylon is only the way to go if both daughter and teacher want to go the classical route. A well set up steel string isn't really any harder to play and fits in to most forms of popular music rather more readily. Having said that, I started on nylon string, took classical lessons through my teens and now don't even feel the urge to own a nylon string, so this is very much a personal viewpoint. The reading side of those lessons was very useful though.

• 2 weeks later...

What music do they listen to? No good making sounds that don't sound like the music that you are interested in. Steel strung and a good set up if going that way, proper set up means easy playing, most beginner steel strungs are dreadful..

I've seen 3/4 size Fender classical guitars selling for about £50 new.
They're not going to be fantastic for that sort of price, but they'll be playable.

I reckon you'd struggle to find a playable steel strung guitar in that price range.

EDIT: Reminder to brain, read all the posts before replying! :D

I got my first guitar, electric, when I was 13 years old. Nobody in my family knew about ultralight strings. My Grandfather bought me a set of Black Diamond strings, which were probably about a 12-52 gauge. So even though my guitar had only a 24 inch scale, it had quite the tension, especially for a new player. I remember distinctly, when it came to learning barre chords, of placing my left hand fingers in position, using my right hand squeezing down over my left hand fingers to help hold the strings fretted, and playing the chord until my left hand gave out, leaving a fair amount of blood on the rosewood fingerboard. Thirty-eight years later, I'm glad I did, as it got my hands in shape like nothing else ever would have.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1367156101' post='2061826']
Picked up a Fender 3/4 classical educational guitar in local shop for £63 with gig bag

Bottom 3 strings are wrapped in steel , g,b,e are nylon
[/quote]

...Nylon, every day of the week ! So , good choice !

Ask yourself - have you already got a nylon-strung acoustic? They are lovely to play if/when your child abandons it :) Unfortunately, my son seems to have taken to it rather well, so I don't get to play on it that often :D

I got him an Ashton 3/4 scale, which was very reasonably priced, sounds fantastic and holds it's tune well now that the strings have bedded in. Similar to [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ashton-CG34-Classical-Guitar-Accessories/dp/B003YFHNX0/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1370952692&sr=1-4&keywords=ashton+acoustic+guitar+blue"]this one on Amazon[/url] - it was a LOT cheaper from my local music shop though!