Why become a member? ×

DB Masterclasses + Cool Gigs

ubassman

[b]Who: [/b][color=#0000ff]Matthew McDonald [/color]
[b]Why: [/b][color=#0000ff] Principal bass of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra and Visiting Professor of Double Bass[/color]
[b]What: [/b][color=#0000ff]Masterclass[/color]
[b]Where[/b]: [color=#0000ff]Royal Academy of Music on Monday 13th , 6pm- 9pm [/color]
[b]How much:[/b] [color=#0000ff]Free![/color]

Anyone else going? [url="http://www.ram.ac.uk/events?event_id=1863"]More Info [/url]

Edited by ubassman

I'm back from the masterclass. It was lovely to meet Peter and Floyd!

At first I didn't know what to expect from the evening, especially as I realised it would be comprised of three performances by students in the presence of Matt and not a performance cum talk of his. But after a few minutes I was soo into it that I have now decided that I want to try bowing on my uprights just out of curiosity.

It was awesome to see how students who were already excellent performers were attentively listened to by Matt, and then had their performances deconstructed almost note by note and an incredible amount of constructive criticism thrown at them, from their bowing style with regards to the piece of music in question to the expression they put to their playing, to the degree of piano and forte to apply, and much, much more.

After watching it all until the very end I feel very much like the beginner I am, but I'm massively inspired.
Such a pity we weren't allowed to record or take photos at all.

Thank you again Peter for posting this topic in the first place. :i-m_so_happy: :sun_bespectacled:

Was a great evening ! - the Royal Academy have some great young players and Matt's playing is just effortless and inspiringly good . Well worth going and really nice to meet a couple of fellow BC-ers!

So, Sylvia fancy tackling the Bottesini? ( ...just need to apply a bit 'Italian humour' - I think you may be a natural at that !! ) !! Thanks for the BC lanyard - I shall wear it with pride! ;)

Floyd, great to meet you and keep us posted - I think you mentioned that theres a masterclass at the Royal College of Music next week ...this could be habit forming !

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1368485731' post='2077745']
So, Sylvia fancy tackling the Bottesini? ( ...just need to apply a bit 'Italian humour' - I think you may be a natural at that !! )
[/quote]

LOL quite possibly, whatever that may be! Alternatively I need to make us feel the "Italian funny" as opposed to the "comedy funny". Not sure there's much difference between the two, though, at least outside music! :D
[All of the above were descriptions of the most suitable style for playing one of tonight's pieces of music.]

It was indeed a great night.

Floyd mentioned this and so I thought I would just post it here. Daytime event starting at 10 am.

[b]Who: [/b][color=#0000FF]Paul Ellison[/color]
[b]What: [/b][color=#0000FF]Masterclass[/color]
[b]Where[/b]: [color=#0000FF]Royal College of Music , London, Monday 20th May , 10 am[/color]
[b]How much:[/b] [color=#0000FF]Free![/color]

More info [url="http://www.rcm.ac.uk/events/listings/details/?id=227081"]here[/url]

Its coming to the end of the academic year at the colleges ...nothing in June at the moment ....however theres the Bass Fest in Frome , Somerset, August £150 for 5 days masterclasses and tuition and a great opportunity to meet other bassists !

http://www.recitalmusic.net/spweb/content.php?contentid=351

These Masterclasses are really something else ...if you play DB can't recommend them highly enough ! It was a real treat to sit through 3 hours of playing from 6 of the best young bass players based in the UK and currently studying at the Royal College of Music.

Whether you are into classical playing (or never intend using a bow) theres so much information shared it really opens up the possibilities for the instrument , good posture, navigation of the fingerboard, techniques ...valuable for any DB / EUB player and whatever style. Hope that some more BC will support masterclass events like this in the future !

Paul Ellison who was over from Texas has perhaps the most engaging and nurturing approach to the way he speaks to 'students' and the audience, and just has the most simply way of providing instant fixes for all sorts of musical challenges - if he's ever in town again ..go see him !! Thanks Floyd for the heads up on this !

Ill defiantly have to head over to some of these when i have the time/money. As far as i know there's about 5 of us studying double bass in Dublin all together so there's never any masterclass's over here. Which is a shame because that leaves me with about 3 people in the whole country who i enjoy getting lessons of.

Cheers for all the links, i really have no excuse except lack of funds as i have so much family to stay with over there.

Edited by fatgoogle

• 2 months later...

[b]Who: [/b][color=#0000FF]Dan Styffe[/color]
[b]Why: [/b][color=#0000FF]Principal bass of the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra and Professor of the Norwegian Academy of Music[/color]
[b]Where[/b]: [color=#0000FF]Royal College of Music, London on Friday 4th October , 2pm [/color]
[b]How much:[/b] [color=#0000FF]Free but tickets required.[/color]

More info [url="http://www.rcm.ac.uk/events/listings/details/?id=216833"]on the event[/url] More info on [url="http://www.danstyffe.com/"]Dan Styffe[/url]

Anyone else going?

not only that but also...

[b]Who: [/b][color=#0000FF]Edicson Ruiz[/color]
[b]Why: [/b][color=#0000FF]Bassist with the Ber[/color]lin Philharmonic Orchestra and soloist
[b]Where[/b]: [color=#0000FF]Royal Academy of Music, London on Thursday 17th October , 6.30pm - 9.30 pm[/color]
[b]How much:[/b] [color=#0000FF]Free but tickets required.[/color]

More info [url="http://www.ram.ac.uk/events?event_id=2032"]about the event [/url] More info on [url="http://www.edicsonruiz.com/"]Edicson Ruiz[/url]