Why become a member? ×

My first custom build by Alpher Instruments = Complete!

Jellyfish

Hi guys.

I've recently decided on a lovely custom spec 5-string bass to be built by the guys at Alpher Instruments. They've only recently started building, but their work is absolutely stunning. I'd urge you to go and visit their Basschat topic in the affiliates section [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/203781-alpher-instruments/"]here.[/url]

The specifications are [i]fairly[/i] basic, with a couple of oddments:[list]
[*][b]Body:[/b] 1-piece Claro Walnut with Tru Oil finish
[*][b]Top wood:[/b] Spalted/Spider Burl Maple
[*][b]Mid Veneer: [/b]Wenge
[*][b]Neck:[/b] 1-pieces Wenge, quartersawn
[*][b]Fingerboard:[/b] Madagascan Rosewood
[*][b]Tuners: [/b]Hipshot Lightweight
[*][b]Bridge: [/b]Hipshot Single String bridges with [b]15.3mm string spacing[/b]
[*][b]Nut: [/b]1.75" graphtech
[*][b]Pickups: [/b]2 large-pole piece Humbuckers
[*][b]Preamp: [/b]2-band John East Preamp
[/list]
Most of this stuff was only decided after having a good talk with Chris at Alpher Instruments as he continued to bombard me with pictures of beautiful woods and presented me with options I didn't think possible. Originally, I wanted a lightweight 5-string bass with tight string spacing. After a quick discussion regarding available bridges, it was decided that single string Hipshot's would give me a crazily tight string spacing of [b]15.3mm[/b]! The rest of it is fairly regular, apart from the lovely and exotic looking woods they have available.

[b]A nice picture of the Claro Walnut that will be used as the body wood:[/b]

[b]And the neck wood that I fell for after being shown it![/b]

Updates will hopefully be coming thick and fast over the coming weeks as they get to work on my dream bass. :)

Edited by Jellyfish

oooh I like alpher's work (lucky enough to have had a go on a few too :D) nice looking spec too - I'ld like to hear/see a alpher with a mm pup as think it would look good - where you having it placed? the rear jazz pup position or the MM sweet spot?

Cheers man, we're both equally excited about how the final product is going to look. They pick out some absolutely stunning pieces of wood that I've never seen anything like before!

Not much excitement to add yet, but I've kindly been sent (taunted with) a picture of the 2-band John East preamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Another exciting little update, the pickups arrived! My request was something similar to the Musicman Bongo, and also large, exposed pole pieces! I'm going to have to wait a while until I hear them of course, but I don't doubt that Catswhisker Pickups did a good job. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Icunningham' timestamp='1377822596' post='2192482']
I had the pleasure of playing a couple today, my god they are stunning instruments. I was totally blown away by the necks on them both. Absolutely incredible
[/quote]

Oh man, that's exciting to hear. :)

• 4 weeks later...