Why become a member? ×

Shortbass One

kristo

I've just ordered one of these in the hope of it holding up in acoustic practices. They seem to be pretty loud from the videos I've seen. Anyone tried one?

http://www.shortbassone.com/?p=24&lang=en

Looks interesting. I'm not keen on the tiddly 20" scale of the Kala U-Bass but the 23" shortbass one looks a bit more usable. Its bigger brother, the 26" scale one, looks even better. I can't find these for sale over here anywhere. Did you order direct from Aquila in Italy and how much are they? Can't see any prices on their website.

I have a Ubass that I dig for practicing whilst the tele is on, but it's not loud enough unplugged. It sounds great plugged in though! If the Shortbass works out I'll probably sell the Ubass though.

I ordered it from here:

[url="http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=ilvm_fly_admirable.tpl&product_id=1172&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=it"]http://www.mercatino...temid=1&lang=it[/url]

Came to around £385. I was also interested in the 26" scale one but I'd like something now and have no patience. :)

• 1 year later...

Thought I may as well resurrect this thread as I can't find any more recent ones!

I heard about the ShortBassONE a while back via my endorsement with Aquila and finally got around to reserving one today. I believe they've only recently sorted out a UK distributor for them and they're selling like mad!

Can't wait to try it out, my main gigging bass is a U-BASS and I'm intrigued to compare the two... I really love the Red series bass strings so if the bass is designed around them it should be pretty impressive!

• 2 years later...

RE-RESURRECT pt 2

Hello!

Anyone got a hold of one of these and care to say something about them?

I have a Kala "Rumble".... not good enough for acoustic situations. Am looking online but can't find anything (fretted) and the Shortbass website doesn't have a contact button...

Anyone got the 'Basic" model? I am wondering what the difference can be between that and the new one that isn't yet available...

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1493892140' post='3291539'] RE-RESURRECT pt 2 Hello! Anyone got a hold of one of these and care to say something about them? I have a Kala "Rumble".... not good enough for acoustic situations. Am looking online but can't find anything (fretted) and the Shortbass website doesn't have a contact button... Anyone got the 'Basic" model? I am wondering what the difference can be between that and the new one that isn't yet available... [/quote]

I own the 'basic' model which is a Shortbass one12. I love mine and gig it regularly in a 'mostly' unplugged trad/folk session, i.e. fiddle, button accordian, flute, banjo and percussion unamplified and just myself and an acoustic guitarist plugged in.. The Shortbass has a very nice acoustic tone but would not be loud enough to play in a noisy pub session environment unamplified, so I use a small Phil Jones combo and just enough volume to allow the bass to sit into the mix with everything else... There are no controls on the bass and like any acoustic instrument you need to keep an eye on feedback, its not really a problem at very low volume but a volume control would have been very handy... anyway you dont get one so it is what it is...

The bass itself has a very pleasant warm rich tone which is mostly due to the custom Aquila strings and it did not take me long to adjust to the super short scale which is great fun to play and it is a feather to carry and transport... comes with its own really nice padded gigbag too... I own several basses and have used most of them in this particular session and the other musicians unanimously prefer the tone of the Shortbass over all the others, it just sounds right for the music we play (Trad Irish mostly)

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer for you...

Cheers Dave

thanks Dave that all sounds pretty good! I am wondering what the new sb60 will bring to the sound and volume... plastic back-body.... so shop seems in stock of the fretted one.

[quote name='DDR' timestamp='1493898606' post='3291606']
thanks Dave that all sounds pretty good! I am wondering what the new sb60 will bring to the sound and volume... plastic back-body.... so shop seems in stock of the fretted one.
[/quote]

Oh thats a newer type... mine is 3 years old so its the older model with the spruce top and mahogany back... I'm sure the new one will still sound very nice because I think the strings are what make that warm double bass like tone anyway... good luck if you are buying one, I'm pretty sure you wont be disappointed :)