Why become a member? ×

Acoustic guitar strings for volume

kristo

I currently have a Takamine EF407 electro acoustic guitar as my main acoustic. I usually just play at home but lately I've been to a few jam nights and taken it along. I'm struggling to get enough volume from the guitar alone (there are no amps etc). It's a small guitar (New Yorker style), and I'm pretty sure the last strings I put on were Extra Light Ernie Ball Earthwounds.

I was wondering if putting a heavier gauge string on might increase the volume a little, and if so, how heavy would the guitar be able to handle? The guitar scale is 24 3/8 inches I think. Cheers.

That's a fairly small body guitar so heavier strings will help, 12's will be fine as that was what the guitar was shipped with, I'd suggest an email to takemine before fitting anything heavier though as not all acoustics will take the tension of very heavy strings, I know that my mcilroy is only warrantied if I don't go above 12's, luckily that's my favorite gauge so I'm fine (newtone heritage are my all time favorites)

Due to the size of the body I'd expect that volume wasn't on the agenda when it was designed.

Matt

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1368098305' post='2073093']
I currently have a Takamine EF407 electro acoustic guitar as my main acoustic. I usually just play at home but lately I've been to a few jam nights and taken it along. I'm struggling to get enough volume from the guitar alone (there are no amps etc). It's a small guitar (New Yorker style), and I'm pretty sure the last strings I put on were Extra Light Ernie Ball Earthwounds.

I was wondering if putting a heavier gauge string on might increase the volume a little, and if so, how heavy would the guitar be able to handle? The guitar scale is 24 3/8 inches I think. Cheers.
[/quote]

Heavier strings, for definite. Try a set if 13s. A set of phosphor bronze. I'm currently using D'Addario exp acoustic strings at the minute. Lighter strings have less volume, heavier strings have more bass. I have a set of 11s on mine at the minute, and interestingly, I can downtune the bass E string by an entire octave. You can definitely go pretty light with the bass strings, but it wouldn't sound great (too trebly) or even be very loud.

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1368211137' post='2074596']
That's a fairly small body guitar so heavier strings will help, 12's will be fine as that was what the guitar was shipped with, I'd suggest an email to takemine before fitting anything heavier though as not all acoustics will take the tension of very heavy strings, I know that my mcilroy is only warrantied if I don't go above 12's, luckily that's my favorite gauge so I'm fine (newtone heritage are my all time favorites)

Due to the size of the body I'd expect that volume wasn't on the agenda when it was designed.
[/quote]
This.

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1368363005' post='2076076']
Cheers for the advice. I put some bronze 12's on it yesterday and it is significantly louder, and the neck seems to be fine....,
[/quote]

it wouldn't be the neck that i would be worried about, the top of the body is the thing to watch, keep an eye out for any change in shape, the reason that my guitar won't take 13's is because it has a lightly braced cedar top which might not take the strain of the heavier strings, i wasn't sure how Koa was for strength,