Why become a member? ×

kustom 4x15 cabinet

Muziekschuur

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Muziekschuur' timestamp='1368133864' post='2073769']
I have a kustom (chanute) 415b cabinet. From the '80's. So it's a tolexed cab, not with naugahyde. I was only able to locate one other Kustom 415b and this is in the Usa. I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen/played one.
[/quote]I didn't use a 4x15, but I did for a couple of years play through a pair of tuck and roll 4x12 columns. With the drivers available then that's what you had to do, just as it took two 8x10s to handle the original SVT head in 1969. Thanks to modern driver technology no one really needs more than four tens, or two fifteens, though that doesn't stop people from doing so.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1421778327' post='2664919']
I didn't use a 4x15, but I did for a couple of years play through a pair of tuck and roll 4x12 columns. With the drivers available then that's what you had to do, just as it took two 8x10s to handle the original SVT head in 1969. Thanks to modern driver technology no one really needs more than four tens, or two fifteens, though that doesn't stop people from doing so.
[/quote]

[size=4]Few folks really need [/size]427 [size=4]cubic inch [/size]V8 en[size=4]gines, either, or 4wd pick-ups. There's a lot of 'em about, though. It's a funny ol' world.[/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421788799' post='2665120']
[size=4]Few folks really need [/size]427 [size=4]cubic inch [/size]V8 en[size=4]gines, either, or 4wd pick-ups. [/size]
[/quote]True, but you don't have to haul a 427 out of your crib and put in in your car before taking a drive and then haul it back in again when you return. :unsure:
OTOH if you're going to drive a pickup in snow country it's best to have AWD, as RWD is next to useless when the weight balance is 65 front/35 rear.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1421793988' post='2665226']
True, but you don't have to haul a 427 out of your crib and put in in your car before taking a drive and then haul it back in again when you return. :unsure:
OTOH if you're going to drive a pickup in snow country it's best to have AWD, as RWD is next to useless when the weight balance is 65 front/35 rear.
[/quote]

True, but you have to pay at the pump for the privilege of going 'Thump, thump, thump'. Front wheel drive is quite good in snow, too, and it doesn't snow everywhere all the time. Not everyone has a ranch in Montana.
If one is going for maximum efficiency in cabs, isn't there any 'logic' to using efficient transport (according to each's needs...)..?

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1421808205' post='2665309']
Don't forget the Hiwatt 415 used by John Entwistle at Leeds. When I first saw The Who (1970) he had 4 412s and 2 415s. Fantastic!
[/quote]Also ancient history. That's the same time frame when I was using eight twelves in 200 seat rooms, only driven by a 50w Bassman head, because the drivers were such sh*te that it took that many to run a clean low E. Today I only need a 1x12 to do that. Listen to Jack Bruce on '[i]Wheels of Fire'[/i]. I doubt it sounded as dirty as it did because he preferred that sound, it was because it was the best he could do with the gear available then. He didn't have that same crap sound on the TV broadcast I saw of his last reunion gig with Eric and Ginger.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1421849808' post='2665729'] Also ancient history. That's the same time frame when I was using eight twelves in 200 seat rooms, only driven by a 50w Bassman head, because the drivers were such sh*te that it took that many to run a clean low E. Today I only need a 1x12 to do that. Listen to Jack Bruce on '[i]Wheels of Fire'[/i]. I doubt it sounded as dirty as it did because he preferred that sound, it was because it was the best he could do with the gear available then. He didn't have that same crap sound on the TV broadcast I saw of his last reunion gig with Eric and Ginger. [/quote]

I think Bruce must have liked that dirty sound to some extent, as in the 70's when gear started getting cleaner he had clipping diodes installed in his bass to get some dirt back!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1421851100' post='2665758']
Any excuse to repost this link to the story of the Burman 4x18, posted by Kiwi, no. 46 in this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/58420-show-us-your-burmans/page__st__30__p__972632__hl__bumper%20brown__fromsearch__1#entry972632"]http://basschat.co.u...__1#entry972632[/url]
[/quote]

[i]"Anyway, a local band called 'This Years Girl' wanted to try [the 4x18 cab] so they took it to the Lacarno Ballroom in Sunderland for a gig. I gave strict instructions DO NOT SWITCH IT ON UNTIL I GET THERE! As I arrived the bass player had switched on the amp, plugged in his bass and was about to pluck the bottom E string.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! Everything went slow motion as i moved towards him. He hit the string and all the glasses of the previous nights drinking just disappeared from the top of a grand piano. I don't mean vibrated off the top, they actually disappeared and smashed to the floor!! Light fittings in the ceiling fell out and crashed to the floor! Worse still, people standing by the bar at the back of the room looked like they were vomiting beer!!

I turned from the stage area and ran towards these people. As i ran from the stage to the bar, an distance of about 20 yards, i could feel the air waves of low frequency going up and down my body which made me feel nauseous. At the bar, the bass was punching and hitting everyone including me in the throat! I discovered that the people at the bar weren't being sick as such, they were physically incapable of swallowing their beer!

I managed to reach the main switch behind the bar and everthing came to an abrupt end. Of course the bass player turned round oblivious to the mayhem and destruction that had happened. To him the sound on stage had sounded normal but the cab was producing ultra low frequency that is unaudible to the human ear but can destroy your internal organs at high volumes! I can't remember [color="#ff0000"]Bumper[/color] [color="#ff0000"]Brown[/color] taking delivery of the cab! In fact I can't remember much at all after that episode - it's a blank."[/i]

Now that's what I call a bass cab!! :lol: B)