Why become a member? ×

DR Black Beautie Strings - never again....

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1399900116' post='2448739']
Haha :lol: I do play pretty hard, fret clank is part of my tone! I don't have problems with Elixir strings though, they lasted me a year until I snapped the E
[/quote]
something I've never managed to do, snap a string. I'm guessing you like a bit more top end zing to your tone than I do, I used Elixir happily for a while till I found the call of neon pinks string too hard to resist, haven't found they flake any worse than Elixir's though

I have used Orange Neons without any problems...I've got another set waiting to go on my ACG when I change the current set.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear about problems with the Black Beauties as I've got the 30-85 from a 6 string set, which Mark from Bass direct broke so that I could have these, waiting to be used. I've had these for about a year so I probably won't get a refund if there are any issues.

I haven't come across a single set of DR strings that I liked. They get a lot of love on here and when I was looking for an improvement over the Elites and D'addarios that I had been using I went out and bought 4 or 5 sets based on recommendations on this forum. Unfortunately I hated them all. IME finding the right strings for you and your bass is simply a question of trial and error. Recommendations are nothing more than a suggestion as what suits one player and bass may well not suit you at all.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1399968206' post='2449336']
100%! I hear bad reviews of Elixirs all the time but I love them.
[/quote]
like most things in life, there are loads of opinions on strings, if it wasn't like that everybody would buy the same ones and Basschat would be a pretty boring place

Chaps, do yourselves a favour and check out LEGACY bass strings from Strings Direct. They're nice and tight and don't go sharp when fretted, don't flop about like some limp d*cks and consistently sound and feel damn nice.
I can't think who's make they feel like, but here's the best bit.

Set of four 45/105's = £7.99

Set of five 130's = £9.99

Yes, you read right.

I got them on my Aria Pro 2 and my old trusty Precision and gig regularly with them.

I'm in no way connected to the company, I just want to pass this on. I hate seeing and hearing people getting ripped off with all the hyped up crap out there.

Well, excuse me for trying to help.

You just carry on shelling out £40 a time for strings that the paint peels off, you have to make a dozen phone calls or emails and wait for replacements for dead//broken strings and all the while you can't use your favourite bass till they arrive.

Personally, I'd give DR the biggest sod off tablet I could and find listen to people giving good advice on decent affordable smile-making strings and carry on with un-interrupted playing.

Just can't help some folk.............

I don't see that you are helping, you just sound like you have a bee in you're bonnet and need to sound off about it.
The DR strings have a certain tone, look and feel. How is recommending a completely different string, and slating the DR's off to those who use them helping?

I personally don't care for your opinion or attitude, ( and I expect that's mutual )but you are of course welcome to express it.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1400413709' post='2453560']
Chaps, do yourselves a favour and check out LEGACY bass strings from Strings Direct. They're nice and tight and don't go sharp when fretted, don't flop about like some limp d*cks and consistently sound and feel damn nice.
I can't think who's make they feel like, but here's the best bit.

Set of four 45/105's = £7.99

Set of five 130's = £9.99

Yes, you read right.

I got them on my Aria Pro 2 and my old trusty Precision and gig regularly with them.

I'm in no way connected to the company, I just want to pass this on. I hate seeing and hearing people getting ripped off with all the hyped up crap out there.
[/quote]They feel a bit like Roto's but I did not really like them

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1399967138' post='2449323']
I haven't come across a single set of DR strings that I liked. They get a lot of love on here and when I was looking for an improvement over the Elites and D'addarios that I had been using I went out and bought 4 or 5 sets based on recommendations on this forum. Unfortunately I hated them all. IME finding the right strings for you and your bass is simply a question of trial and error. Recommendations are nothing more than a suggestion as what suits one player and bass may well not suit you at all.
[/quote]

Totally agree. Many hate Rotosound Steel Rounds, yet for me they just work best (I do like the Nickel Rounds for more vintagey sounds though). If I`d gone by recommendations/reviews I probably wouldn`t have even tried them, but I figured seeing as all my fave players use them - on their Precisions natch - then it made sense to try them, and am very glad I did.

I haven't tried the DR BB's,
but had been using the Nexus black coated.
They do sound like Roto's... duh
but the coating wore off too quickly (after a couple of hours).

If Black coating is your thing, maybe try the Aurora strings from the US.
I've had them on for around 8 weeks, average 1 gig per week plus rehearsal,
they're still coated, but they have lost their zing which suits me!

Point taken Dave bass5, thing was I was just amazed after reading over a dozen or so posts about the poor quality of DR's that some people actually defend them. I was simply stating that the price of so called super strings on the market is WAY over the top just to hammer away and sweat over them at a gig then bin them once they've died. I'd rather buy cheaper decent sounding strings and not think twice about the prestige/brand name/colour.

Your opinion is yours and probably loads will agree with you, but hey, we're all different and the world spins around nicely for that reason.

All the best, old bean.

I never had a problem with Sunbeams or Lo Riders in years of use - now I've switched to D'Addario balanced tensions, I prefer the feel (& the price).

These issues do seem mostly confined to the coloured strings. There's probably a reason not a lot of companies make them. Look cool, though, especially the black ones.

I went for these on looks. They sounded great at first but thought they tailed off fairly quickly, sounding generally passable, which I guess would've been where they'd have stayed...

Then the E snapped on me. Tuned to D. Not in a rush to get back to them tbh.

Great post :)

I like D'Addarios and Elites a lot,which are cheap in comparison. I tried DRs based on not only the colour, but the fact that they are coated and supposedly last longer, which would make them worth the money. I found they actually died faster than any other strings I've ever used!

The only coated strings I have tried that have actually performed as the manufacturer claims are Elixirs. I beat my strings to death and they lasted just over a year with very gradual degradation of tone. I only really noticed a change just before I changed them, which I only did because I broke one!

I'm currently trying out Warwick EMPs, which sounded incredibly aggressive for the first few gigs, but again have lost their brightness fairly quickly. I don't know how I manage to kill these "super strings" so fast! :lol:

Edited by chrismuzz

• 5 months later...

I'm rejuvenating this thread as I'm so disappointed with the last 2 sets of DR Black beauties I've had.
I always used to buy cheap nickles, then I succumbed to the hype. The first set were replaced after I complained. The second set lasted 3 weeks before going dead.
Expensive and IMO a complete waste of my hard earned cash.
Never Never again.

• 2 weeks later...

I definetly found the DR coloured strings to die pretty quickly, usually within a week and a half which (in fairness) is longer than Ernie Ball/Rotosound/Fender strings have lasted for me. My sweat must be made of acid or something but D'addario prosteels and Payson SS strings are the only strings that have kept their zing for more than a month for me.

Including Elixirs which still sounded great 8 months later (only stopped using them as I sold that bass and can't actually fit them on my current bass).

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1417567760' post='2621950']
I definetly found the DR coloured strings to die pretty quickly, usually within a week and a half which (in fairness) is longer than Ernie Ball/Rotosound/Fender strings have lasted for me. My sweat must be made of acid or something but D'addario prosteels and Payson SS strings are the only strings that have kept their zing for more than a month for me.

Including Elixirs which still sounded great 8 months later (only stopped using them as I sold that bass and can't actually fit them on my current bass).
[/quote]just wondering whether it's just Black Beauties that people are having trouble with or all DR coloured strings,. I use neons and they last me about 6 months, admittedly they're not quite as zingy after a month or so but I can compensate for that with a touch more treble on the amp

Edited by PaulWarning

I snapped the A string on my first set and the G string on my second set, although they were reasonably old strings at that point. Currently debating what strings to go for next. I love the feel of the BB's and they look very cool! CBA breaking bass strings though....I'd gone my entire 18 year playing career without breaking one and then 2 in 6 months after switching to BB's.

Of to google these Rotosound Nexus strings now!

I tried DR coated strings twice, not the black beauties though. First set had a dead G string so I complained and got a replacement set (can't fault their customer service). But the strings only sound good the first time you play them, they pretty much die instantly! Bizarre because DR strings are amazing but the coated ones are horrible!