Why become a member? ×

Zoom B5 dream

tonyclaret

God, I think I need help. I had a dream last night that Zoom followed in the footsteps on the G5 and made a bass version.

Doesn't seem be any inclination from
Zoom that this is in the off in.

I'll continue to dream :-)

Edited by tonyclaret

• 1 year later...

hi all! i decided to write to zoom to tell them how i want so much a ZOOM B5. They answered me and i think if we are a lot of people to write them

they will consider seriously to create the ZOOM B5.

their answer:

[font="Arial"][size=2]Dear Sir/Madam,[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size=2]Thank you for your email.[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][font= ][size=2]Your opinion has been noted. Anyway we [/size][/font][font= ][size=2]will forward your email to person in charge for future reference.[/size][/font][/font]
[font= ][font="Arial"][size=2]We look forward to your continued business in the future.[/size][/font][/font]

[font="Arial"][size=2]Sincerely yours,[/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size=2]ZOOM Corporation <<[/size][/font]

[font="Arial"][size=2]how to write them:[/size][/font]

[url="https://webmail1f.orange.fr/webmail/fr_FR/read.html?FOLDER=SF_INBOX&IDMSG=26406&check=&SORTBY=1#"][email protected][/url]

The problem with the G5, trying to make it work for a B5 version is that the architecture can't handle the dynamics of a bass signal to accurately recreate the sounds we want to hear from this pedal. It'd have to be substandard audio quality. However, if Zoom upgraded the processors that appear on the G5 then it's entirely possible that a B5 would be possible. Frankly, I'd love one. - The B3 is excellent but I often wanted an extra slot or two of effects.

Incidentally, the entry level B1XON can handle 5 effects at once, so to create a B5 with TOTR processing, isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Zoom have already posted that they can not provide the 6 effects at once processing of the G3 on the B3 due to the hardware limitations after a petition to them. They aren't daft though - it's obvious there is demand from us bass players. I expect something won't be too far away!

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1410532816' post='2550497']
I'd be happy with a B3 with midi…
[/quote]

Would also work for me. I've a superb lil MIDI controller that mated up with the B3 wouldn't take up much floor space. The ability to flip to new patches of three active effects would transform the B3 I feel.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1410532816' post='2550497']
I'd be happy with a B3 with midi…
[/quote]

Although a massive faff, I saw this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDnf59tq-o Midi for the G3 - I guess it'd work with the B3 too!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1410547442' post='2550711']
Although a massive faff, I saw this: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDnf59tq-o[/media] Midi for the G3 - I guess it'd work with the B3 too!
[/quote]
I lost interest in that vid after 0.09. Sorry but my MIDI controller days are long behind me!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1410997404' post='2555548']
Must have a shot at MIDI control of a B3. I've got MIDI control of an MS-60B, though I'll need to build something to do the job as lugging around a desktop just to change patches is a non-ideal solution.
[/quote]

Ohh, i actually have an MS60b, what can you control via midi on it? things like tempo or just program change messages?

Just program change and apparently you can put it into tuner mode too, though I haven't found out how to yet.

If you've got a Windows PC, download and install MIDI-OX, connect the MS60B, start up MIDI-OX, go to Options | MIDI devices and select the MS60B in MIDI Outputs and click OK, then move your mouse along the toolbar until you find "Send MIDI controller messages", click on that, and you'll see a window that you can either select an absolute patch number from (upper right hand section, patch number = ((section - 1) * 8) + number) or scroll through patches (in the bottom part of the window, select "Patch change" from the drop-down on the left and then scroll up and down with "Value" on the right).

I'm going to see if I can do some sniffing to find what other signals the Edit & Share software sends to a B3 and see if the MS60B reacts to any of those.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1410529759' post='2550439']
The problem with the G5, trying to make it work for a B5 version is that the architecture can't handle the dynamics of a bass signal to accurately recreate the sounds we want to hear from this pedal. It'd have to be substandard audio quality. However, if Zoom upgraded the processors that appear on the G5 then it's entirely possible that a B5 would be possible. Frankly, I'd love one. - The B3 is excellent but I often wanted an extra slot or two of effects.

Incidentally, the entry level B1XON can handle 5 effects at once, so to create a B5 with TOTR processing, isn't out of the realms of possibility.

Zoom have already posted that they can not provide the 6 effects at once processing of the G3 on the B3 due to the hardware limitations after a petition to them. They aren't daft though - it's obvious there is demand from us bass players. I expect something won't be too far away!
[/quote]
Let's hope it's not too far away. The G5 looks like it allows up to 9 effects at once.

• 1 month later...

I've now got an Arduino sending patch change messages to an MS-60B (would also work for a B3). There's basic debouncing which looks as if it's working as I want. I would have liked to display the patch number but I need to consider how to do that with the limited number of pins or possibly use an Arduino Due. As the Due includes a USB host, while a Uno or similar needs a USB host shield, the Due may be the way to go anyway.

I now need to box it up. That may be a little problematical due to the way all the connectors are orientated and the fact that the DC power socket is centre-positive, rather than the normal centre-negative.

• 4 weeks later...

While I'm waiting for a couple of bits to arrive so I can finish the program controller off, I have been idly toying with a micro USB to female OTG adaptor and a copy of MIDI Commander by Bordero on my Android phone (a Nexus 5, other Android phones are available) which allows me to change patch by pressing a button on the screen. Definitely easier than twiddling knobs and you can go direct from one patch to a non-adjoining one. I may adapt an idea from that to a Due-based foot controller. Really needs a power in on the OTG adaptor so the phone doesn't go into standby.