Why become a member? ×

Shhh, don't tell the missus, I've just pulled the trigger.

Maude

You mean they don't come with frets? :0)
I've played EUB for a year and a fair bit of fretless EB already so should be a fairly painless transition. I did put dots in the third, fifth and position on the EUB to start with in white pencil but don't need them now. I had them for a bit of security as I learnt to play it in an acoustic band that was already gigging, fairly laid back stuff but still a bit nerve racking to start with. First gig was providing background music for seven hours Saturday and Sunday at an art and crafts fair underground in December, a strange start.

It only left midday Friday, I don't know if it will move over the weekend and the holiday Monday, I hope so though.
It'll probably all go smoothly until it reaches good old Britain, then the 'can't be arsed' brigade will have their part to play.
Fingers crossed it'll be soon.

Edited by Maude

Woo hoo, it'll be here tomorrow!
Bit of a bummer though as it's going to my inlaws, I'm picking it up after work but I have rehearsal with the band I play EB in so won't even have time to unpack it, it'll have to wait 'til Friday.
It's the acoustic band rehearsal tonight so EUB it is again.

It's here . . . . . . and the fingerboard's not attached!!
It was delivered to my inlaws and I made sure they checked it for damage before signing. I didn't know it would have a 'tilt watch' on the box and my inlaws didn't know what it was, they thought it was an electronic chip for tracking. The tilt watch was red and the driver who checked it with the inlaws didn't point it out!! There is no damage to the box so they have signed as ok. I don't know how a fb can come off without any damage to the box, it's packaged so that the fb is in the centre of the box away from any surfaces so the box would need to be pushed in a long was to meet the fb, maybe just bad glueing.
I'll contact Gedo in the morning to see where we go now.
What is the fb glued on with normally, animal glue or just pva? As long as I know what glue to use I'm more than capable of glueing and clamping the fb in place, the breaks in the finishing are easily lined up to sit it exactly where it was, but that's not the point. This has really take the joy out of buying a new bass. :(

Edited by Maude

Aw man that's a shame. If there's no damage to the box then it sounds like it just fell off. Take a photo of the box and the bass and send them to Gedo, I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

I'm very surprised, I haven't heard of anybody having problems with their basses in the past. Maybe it's karma for lying to your wife. ;)

I received my ( first :) ) upright back in January from Thomann in this box ;

When I opened it the fingerboard wasn't attached ;

So I researched which glue to use and decided to go for hide glue .

I made a glue pot from the smallest slow cooker I could find , a lid I cut out of plywood with a hole in for a heat-proof plastic bowl that you get microwaveable desserts in , and a meat thermometer .
I had to wait to get hide glue pearls from mail order because I couldn't find any on this one-horse island , so I slowly acclimatised the bass over a few days to a heated , humidified room ( 24 hrs in the soft case in the room first ) , and heated the ebony 'board over a radiator before gluing .

I had no problems and the bass has been fine since . :D
These resources were helpful ;

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0148.html"]http://www.stewmac.c...ive/ts0148.html[/url]

[url="http://woodtreks.com/animal-protein-hide-glues-how-to-make-select-history/1549/"]http://woodtreks.com...t-history/1549/[/url]

Hope that helps .

Gedo have been very good about it, they've offered to pay for the repair over here or asked if I could do it myself. I will do it myself as it's no biggy, just waiting for Gedo to come back with a partial refund offer as I have in effect bought a damaged instrument.
It will definitely be hide glue incase it needs to come off in the future.
Has anymore used the liquid hide glue that Titebond now do, still a proper hide glue but is liquid so a longer 'open time' which can only be good on a big area.
Just bummed I can't get practicing on it, we have a gig a week on Thursday and I was hoping to debut it then.
At least it's just the fb and not the neck or anything. TBH there wasn't much glue on it, just a thin strip down each side and a wiggle down the middle, Friday afternoon in the board glueing department maybe.

The rest of it is lovely Pete, I got the same one as you in the end, I wanted the matte antique finish but they were on back order 'til August. This is a tiny bit too 'look at me with my new bass' for me if you know what I mean, but it is a looker, the back is incredible for plywood, really pronounced flaming, and the sides. A tiny part of me thought it would be too showy but now it's here I love it.
I'll get some pictures up when it's fixed.

That's the thing, I'm more from the rockabilly camp than the classical, but it's all good.
I went for an adjustable bridge as well because I haven't settled on the perfect height for me yet, and if I start/join a rockabilly band I might want ti raise it up a bit, it just makes sense.
They put on Innovation Rockabilly strings but I might end up with Innovation Honeys, I need to put my name on the trial list when the bass is fixed. I like the old skool thump rather than the more modern sound. Plus the Rockabillys are black and look cool!
German bow and gigbag included but no rosin, or just not found it yet :)
I'm going to order the Hidersine (sp) gigbag as it's more padded and robust than the gedo one, the bass will be a rehearsal and gigging bass so will be out the house once or twice a week so it needs a bit more protection.