Why become a member? ×

installing a Musicman pickup on a Fender Jazz - YouTube demo added!

Shonks

[i]YouTube link down the page: I did the mod and now demo-ing the result - check it out![/i]

I have just acquired a Musicman humbucker from a 90's 5 string stingray and I'm thinking of sandwiching it between
the two existing p'ups on my 5 string (90's USA Fender) jazz bass.
That's the position that looks as close to a stingray as the other p'ups will allow.

The thinking behind it is to make it something my 4 string jazz can't do as my 5 and 4 are more or less replicas of each other with J East retro electrics.

Originally I wanted a 5er that sounded exactly like my 4er and its almost is.
Now I think it's slightly self defeating and it would be nice to have the 5er sound completely different, so the idea of installing a humbucker will give me the best of both worlds (i hope).

I know some of you are thinking why not go out and buy a stingray, but I love my Jazz Basses and think it would be cool to have the Ray on a 'switch' as it were.

the idea it this:
install 2 toggles, one for series/parallel and one to switch between the jazz neck p'up or the Ray p'up.
The Ray then can be used on its own or combined with the bridge p'up which remains as is .(gawd knows what that'll sound like)

You don't see any commercial basses with a humbucker at the neck and a single coil at the bridge which to me seems more practical than the common config which is the other way round.
Why is that? is it a crap sound or something??? Surely the hot-rod P basses are just that.

I know the old argument that its never going to sound like a Ray..blah blah..but it should sound tasty though. (meaty, like a beef sandwich)

so...what do you think? am I mad? will it work? its a lot of routing and once it's done there's no going back.

I've attached a photoshop mockup of what it'll look like

Edited by Shonks

You might be mad, but you're not alone ...
- [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/musicman-mm-jazz-pickups-same-bass-748258/"]http://www.talkbass....me-bass-748258/[/url]
- [url="http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?t=43019"]http://forums.fender...pic.php?t=43019[/url]

[attachment=135252:Jazz-MM 1.jpg] [attachment=135253:jazz-MM 2.jpg] [attachment=135254:jazz-MM 3.jpg]

Id replace the neck J with the MM but in the position you have put them then tap the MM so you can have the single coil ala original J. A neck J + MM probably wouldnt give you that much more than an MM on its own. Also makes life simple with still just two pickups going into a J-Retro. Id talk to John East himself. He will know exactly what to do with his amps. Ive pondered this sort of multi pickup config myself on a 5er but twin tapped J at the bridge for MM or J and a P at the neck.

A

I've thought about just replacing the bridge p'up and add a coil tap switch, but that puts the MM p'up in the wrong position (no big deal), and the single poles wont sound like a regular jazz when switching back to the original config (probably)

i like he fact I'm not alone and that natural jazz with the extra pickup look cool enough - i like it.

I wonder still why its not popular though, it seems like an obvious mod to me.

Check out the Delano Hybrid pickup too, it covers both the MM sound and J sound when placed in the bridge position of a bass (or neck position come to think of it!)
I like the idea and certainly since playing a Sandberg VM the other day, I've become quite attached to the idea of a P/MM bass as the sound was superb when both pups were mixed. I'll be seeing what bass I want to drop an MM pickup in to soon!

Thanks for the pictures, just makes me wanna do a custom even more now!

If it were me I'd replace one or other of the J pups with the MM, if you did the neck one and got a new scratchplate then you could always go back to standard JJ configuration in the future, although I have to say it looks quite cool in pink with the 3 pups :)

ok ...I've installed it now!
I actually did it the same as my photoshop mockup ie: the MM in between the jazz p'ups.

At the moment i've installed a DP3T switch so that I can select between the jazz bridge or MM and centre position gives me both,I've got the MM in parallel mode as are Stingrays.
When the Jazz (bridge) and MM are on together they are in parallel mode too.
Its all hooked into the John East deluxe Marcus Miller preamp and initially it sounds FLIcking amazing. Only on my living room practise amp at the mo so still got to give it a thorough workout.
This config means I can have any combination of the three pickups and enhance them with East preamp so I'm happy. I did a pretty good job with the install too!

i'll keep you updated ... S

Edited by Shonks

ok folks,
I've been playing with it for a few days now, and have a gig this weekend so its gonna be fun.

The MM is a little bit more north than the Ernie Ball basses. I've also found out the the p'up sold to me by Andy Pask, by the way, was rewound by Kent Armstong himself, and overwound at that, which gives it a much darker sound (apparently)
On its own through the 'East' electronics is sounds very much like a 'Ray' which was my aim. Combining it with the others in pairs gives it a
Warwick-esque kinda sound.
All three together is quite a unique sound- a beefy cross of the jazz bass and the stingray....and it's pretty amazing and unique.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! this post will self destruct in 10 seconds :ph34r:

Edited by Shonks

here's a few pix for now, I'll get some sound clips up next week - I know the bass looks f'cked up and was reliced a bit, but its worked a lot and has earned the cosmetics..
In case you're wondering: Its a USA 94 jazz bass standard thats been modified quite a bit!
Its got the John East Marcus Miller deluxe preamp on board.
The toggle switch in the middle is a 3 way: MM//MM and bridge//bridge
The front toggle switches : front p'up //blend control.
The top back toggle: active/passive
bottom back toggle/ isolates the battery (great for leaving it plugged in without wasting power)

the MM p'up was a little larger than anticipated which meant i had to file off the corner of the metal plate - not a big deal.
I'd say the MM p'up is about 1.5 cm north of a stingray, but to my ears sounds exactly like the the 'Ray' especially with a few minimal tweeks on the preamp - sounds like three basses in one to me because the MM and front p'ups together sounds like a Warwick FNA.

Edited by Shonks

• 1 month later...

still didn't get the sound clips together (soz). I've been doing quite a few sessions and gigs with instrument and to confirm - this was a great mod and having the East pre amp boosted in the hi mids and MM p'up on its own sounds just like a ray.

Flipping switches instead of basses is a great way to go.

My Jazz to Ray muscle memory is spot on and can change without difficulty.
combinations of 2 back p'ups, 2 front, or all three gives me a Warwick sounding growl too.

loving it even more!!!!

Edited by Shonks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1374166615' post='2146060']
ahhh, you see, now I have to put (another) one on my fretless Jazz. Would it be considered 'over the top' to have an HH Jazz? :blink:
[/quote]

Just finished it this week. I f***ing LOVE my bass now. Sounds like a Jazz but with loads more "oomph"! Photos (edit - and samples ) later...

Edited by paul_5

Pics! Pics and more pics!

I'm in a similar ground, i have an old bass that was offered to me by my grandmother, it's a Maison TB bass (bass collection copy). It has a nice body but weak electronics. I've decided to not let it being unused, i'll change the nasty active J pickups for Bart humbuckers and add a Glockenkang preamp, then i'll remove the frets and treat myself with a nice fretless that i'll use (i don't want to sell the bass).

Just did a little test recording tonight after finishing the bass for a separate track to demonstrate the HH fretless Jazz setup.

http://snd.sc/1e6Q5Nh

The first sample is a little distorted due to the ridiculously hot output of this baby... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...