Why become a member? ×

installing a Musicman pickup on a Fender Jazz - YouTube demo added!

Shonks

• 3 months later...

i've installed the Bartolini jazz pickups in there now (as per youtube vid).
While the sound is right up there the A string disappears, it's at least half the volume of the other strings.
This doesn't happen with the MM p'up switched in and did not happen with the stocks.

Anyone else had this problem with the Barts on a five string?

I've contacted Bartolini via an email and waiting for a response ( 3 days waiting )
I'll keep you posted

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1404936734' post='2497225']
Love the sound of the front Jazz pup with the MM! Do you think the Barts are more sensitive to string to pup gap (the A being furthest away than the other strings)?
[/quote]i've played with that option - raised the others deliberately high and the A is not still good. The Ernie Ball sound fairly solid whatever I do.
the Bartolini people are still not answering - it's almost a week now.
I'll be writing some damning reviews all over the net soon if they dont respond...grrrrr

I've buggered about with pickups and positioning for the best part of a year now, and have finally settled (for now) on a Jazz configuration with a MM hum bucker next to the bridge pup. I don't use it much, but blending it with either of the other two (all 3 at once isn't anywhere near as impressive as I thought it would be) adds a lot more definition, particularly when I'm just using the neck pup for a 'P' bass sound.

I've put mine touching the bridge pup, as I thought that's where I thought it sounded the best with my setup, but the OP's looks equidistant between the J pups.

Edited by paul_5

although I generally love the sound most of the combinations in this set up I find myself using the standard JB or just the MM.
Being a big fan of Sly Stone and Larry Graham i love the JB p'ups full on for funk vibe and the stingray for general finger style comping.

Both classic, distinctive great sounds, and to have them both at the flick of a switch is quite a thing.

All the other combos are great for recording and playing around with but you can't beat the obvious classics B) ...IMO