Why become a member? ×

Bass amp advice please..

ChrisF

I want to get my own amp rather than use my band mates all the time.

I want something that will keep up with the rest of the boys, who seem to think that louder is always better ( Im working on them ).....but I don't want something too heavy as I have a bionic left hip.

I should be ok financially to get one in a few weeks, but I think it will almost certainly be second hand.....hopefully have about £200 to spend.

So... any features that it should particularly have...or that I should avoid ??

Don't know if it matters, but I don't bow.....its all slap and pizz. We play rockabilly....both heavier punkabilly style and a more blues style.

Oh..and I use a Fishman Pro Plat preamp too.

cheers.....Chris

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1369152583' post='2085527']
If you're using piezo pickups, avoid cabinets that have a pronounced midrange hump.
[/quote]

I do use a piezo....how would I know about the midrange hump ??

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1369153613' post='2085548']
Mmm£200 for a light bass amp ...tricky . The way I see it, you need 250 watts to cope with loud drummer, and you would be fine with this in most pubs too.
Markbass would've been my first recommendation , or gallien Krueger which are cheaper .
Over to other basschatters ...
[/quote]

Blimey 250 watts !?!?! ...that's twice what I was expecting

That underneath an MB200 would be a tidy little starter rig at around £400 the two. BTW I use a piezo with a 10" Wizzy which is regarded as quite midrangy. You can eq any honks out quite easily. Ah, just noticed it's a 15" which may be a bit 'slow' for a DB.

Edited by bassace

Having been on a similar search myself not too long ago, I'm afraid I think you're going to struggle. The GK MB112 is one of your best bets for around the £200 mark. At the top end seems to be the Markbass mini, which a lot of "pro" players I've met use. But that's about 4 x your budget. I held off, saved and went for somewhere in the middle and bought a Genz Benz shuttle 3.0 10T. Tiny and powerful enough for pub gigs on its own. But again you'd need to double your budget and then a little more. For the money, I'd go for an MB112 ii. Others will almost inevitably know better though!

I use an Ashdown Perfect Ten mini rig, it's only sixty watts but is very efficient and kicks out enough to keep up at pub gigs, if we do a big club I go through the PA.
They're discontinued but you can pick them up on ebay for around £150, it's a small head unit with two ten inch speaker cabs, individually the three components are very light and you can run one or two cabs and placement is very flexible being separate.
Perhaps not your dream amp but it works for me and is in your price and weight range, so much so I'm going to get another if one comes up locally for even more power/flexibility.

FWIW, speaker size doesn't really matter, I've seen DB's used with all sorts, from 2 x 15's to 16 x 5's, all can be made to sound good. Problem is that for a £200 budget, you won't get modern lightweight speakers to get enough volume for heavy rockabilly / punkabilly gigs. I know they're 'heavy', but my money would be on an old Trace Elliott, either a 4x10 or 1x15 combo, with bags of power to spare.

The GK MB112 looks good for the money....nice n light too.

Its only for home use,pub gigs and the occasional small club. My mates is a 60w Peavey.. and its mentally loud so I thought maybe going up to 100w would be more than enough.

The Roland seems a bit out of my price range for a higher wattage model...but I will keep looking

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1369169384' post='2085859']
nothing wrong with 15s for DB, if you get a cab with a horn or tweeter in that will take care of the
attack on a slow to respond 15, not that its ever been an issue for me. I think if your on a budget
dont count anything out until uouve tried it, you may turn up an unexpected gem.
[/quote]

yup.. good advice, I will keep looking.. and keep an open mind. Pretty sure my mates Peavey is a 15..and I would buy it off him.. if he was selling.

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1369173073' post='2085945']
How loud is your band? Are you talking authentic rockabilly or more punky modern style? Good rule of thumb is twice the wattage of the loudest gtr amp. Theres nothing worse than being drowned out...
[/quote]

Bit of both really ..some of our stuff is loud punky style..and some is more authentic style..but still loud. Im trying to educate the others (as they are all fairly new to rockabilly ) about balancing the sound better.... rhythm and lead guitarist are finally getting it, but the drummer is still way too loud.

Im trying to get across how important the bass is to rockabilly..and how it needs to not be drowned out.....I think he is getting it....slowly...bloomin hippies ;-)

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1369174352' post='2085985']
Dude, buy this...its a steal at 160
[/quote]

Yup.. I agree. And Birmingham isn't all that far from me. I asked him how much it weighs. Although Im hoping that a few months or so down the line I will be able to lift heavier stuff again.

I would double that wattage if you have a loud drummer. Being underpowered will drive you crazy if you're not going through a pa and the room is big or full. You'll end up turning up too much and distorting horribly.

We're by no means loud for a country rock/rockabilly band, but without PA support I need 350W if I'm to have any headroom at all. And that's with a very efficient cab (a Midget).

If your back is ok, and the budget is low, I'd say choose loud over light. And don't worry about loud being feedback prone. Feedback is caused by a host of factors, not just the loudness of the amp.

Edited by fatback

I've used a fishman dual piezo pickup for seven years. I bought a fishman preamp too, but ended up not bothering with it. I never found the need for an amp, as I've always just DI'd into the PA. As long as you have a monitor for yourself, or a little amp, then you'll be grand. Depends on the show of course!