Why become a member? ×

Wilkinson Tremelo

Les

Recently bought a Cort M700 for a song. It has a Wilkinson trem on it but the guy couldn't find the trem arm. After a bit of research I think i need the push in one 5mm. Has anyone got any experience of the guitar or Wilkinson trems ? It's not the end of the world if I get the wrong one as they aren't too expensive but any advice appreciated.

Ta

Les

I have a lovely Patrick Eggle which had this trem. I loaned it to a friend and it came back with the arm missing.

I contacted Wilkinson direct and was quoted about £80 for a replacement because it wasn't made any more and would need to be a custom job.

Sounded way too much so I didn't bother. Got some sort of aftermarket thing but it doesn't really work properly in the way the original did :(

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1369169452' post='2085865']
There may well be an equivalent available from axesRus.
[/quote]

And if not, I've bought a few things from GFS and they're OK.

Don't expect much in the way of comms as the guy processes tons of sales and the in-transit time can be glacially slow. But it's all got here in the end and it's all been good value for money.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1369183237' post='2086111']
Don't expect much in the way of comms as the guy processes tons of sales and the in-transit time can be glacially slow. But it's all got here in the end and it's all been good value for money.
[/quote]

Thanks guys, it's comms I want to be honest cos' I can't find out what arm I need. Might just go for the standard push in arm and see, like I said it's not very dear.

i'm pretty sure that you've got a wilkinson vs100 trem there, so the replacement arm should be this one

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/bridges-parts-tailpieces/bridge-parts/tremolo-arms-and-arm-parts/tremolo-arm-for-wilkinson-vs100-by-gotoh-push-in-arm-55mm-dia-2-p-4124.html"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/online-shop/guitar-bass-parts/bridges-parts-tailpieces/bridge-parts/tremolo-arms-and-arm-parts/tremolo-arm-for-wilkinson-vs100-by-gotoh-push-in-arm-55mm-dia-2-p-4124.html[/url]

matt

Thanks Matt, it's been a pain trying to research this on the net but the one set of specs someone mentioned was the VS50 II trem, and to be honest it looks like it is, as the hole for the trem arm has a small allen key grub screw on the side. (I've only just spotted it after watching a vid) So I've just ordered the bar for that.

Here's hoping. :unsure:

Les

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1369311033' post='2087579']
oh and i should have said that the wilkinson trems are very highly thought of!
[/quote]
I've recently bagged an uber rare Wilkinson VS100C in gold. The C stands for convertible so it's possible to have the best of both trem and hard tail worlds. Wilkinson stopped making them quite a few years ago and this was the first one I'd found for sale in 10 years. I had a look at alternatives like the Stetstrem but the Wilkinson was still the most elegant solution and easiest to retrofit into a strat body. I haven't fitted yet as it was delivered to Chez Ped.

Through the Steinberger forums, I know of a guy in Ireland who hand makes hard to find pieces of guitar hardware. I'll try and dig out his details as he might be worth approaching and the trem arm might be relatively simple to make.

I'm very pleased for you Kiwi :(

If this is your trem arm
[url="http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Wilkinson-VS50-Push-in-Tremolo-Arms-p/vs50arm.htm"]http://www.axesrus.c...s-p/vs50arm.htm[/url]
pm me your address and you can have a spare :facepalm:

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1369744887' post='2092193']

I've recently bagged an uber rare Wilkinson VS100C in gold. The C stands for convertible so it's possible to have the best of both trem and hard tail worlds. Wilkinson stopped making them quite a few years ago and this was the first one I'd found for sale in 10 years. I had a look at alternatives like the Stetstrem but the Wilkinson was still the most elegant solution and easiest to retrofit into a strat body. I haven't fitted yet as it was delivered to Chez Ped.

Through the Steinberger forums, I know of a guy in Ireland who hand makes hard to find pieces of guitar hardware. I'll try and dig out his details as he might be worth approaching and the trem arm might be relatively simple to make.
[/quote]

I have a feeling mine is a Convertible.

If you release the trem and let it drop it swings vertically downwards and locks the bridge in place.

Great idea but I seem to remember it needed a fair bit of setting up.