Why become a member? ×

String question

ped

I have been using Elixir strings on my Jazz for a while now and I love them, however the B string is just too short and tapers about one inch before the nut (the bass is 36" scale). The strings that camp on it were Daddario of some kind - I have left the B string on (with purple ball end) but now it is beginning to show its age against the super bright Elixirs. I ordered a nickel .125 string from D'addario but it was too short and had a brass ball end.

Does anyone know where I can get a single extra long scale B string. I would really prefer a coated one - do the Warwick EMP strings taper towards the headstock?

Cheers
ped

Overwater strings are suitable for 36" scale (I have a set on my Extra-Long scale Overwater Original 2 at the moment) and don't have any taper until they reach the silk wrap (you should be OK unless you're through-body stringing in which case the active length will be marginal). Alternatively you could try [url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/"]Newtone[/url] who can make strings to just about whatever spec you want.

However neither brand are coated though...

Thanks mate - I spoke to Jim at Newtone and he will get me in some D'Addario super long steels at my request. I did eventually come accross the Overwaters and Ken Smith strings but not sure about singles, although I am sure if I ask I could get some.