Why become a member? ×

Zoom H4 help?

BassBod

I need some help with this - its a good little field recorder/usb audio interface. Like an Edirol, but with more built in stuff (mic simulations, effects etc). But when you record a .wav file (44.1khz,16 bit) it won't be recognised by (for example) Windows Media Player? This means you can't just copy files from the H4 to PC then burn a CD - you have to first copy them in/out of something like Audacity to get them to work??

I'm new to this digi stuff, and I just don't understand.. when is a .wav file not really a .wav file.....anyone got an explanation/fix?

cheers

BB

Yes, iTunes converts and plays fine, but not WMP (or Sonic Record). But, if you import/export (as wav) through Audacity the resulting wav files are fine - I guess something is done to them in the process that the H4 doesn't do when it creates them??

Seems very strange to me, but them I can't seem to load photos onto message boards anymore.....where's my bass..

BB

I've never had this problem before, but I might not have tried to record at that WAV quality yet. Have you checked that your Zoom is running the latest Firmware? Check the latest at [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php[/url]

I think there was a release a couple of months ago.

Thanks peted,

I've only had the H4 for a couple of days - it shows version 1.3 on startup, so I don't think any of the updates would apply. Still puzzled - had a look at a few Zoom discussion pages and there is no mention of this isuue? I suspect its as much about using better CD burners as the Zoom box?

BB

I've just checked one of my recording I did at 44KHz and it seems to play fine and gave me the option of burning it to disk using Windows Media Player 11. I can only think that the version of Media Player you've got installed isn't liking something in the WAV header of the files. Do you have to change the format or sampling frequency at all to get Media Player to behave?

Had a quick look again - WMP is ver 11, so that's current. I downloaded an audio file converter, and WMP works fine if I convert the H4's .wav files to .wma. If I don't then WMP won't open, play or burn these .wav files. There was an error message somewhere about these files missing a "PCM codec" whatever that means? Its too late to be trying to sort this out....so I'll look again over the weekend.

Thanks for the interest!

BB