Why become a member? ×

broken Innovation E string

odonovanr

I set up my bass with Innovation strings a few months ago and was very pleases with the sound. Then the sound of my E string deteriorated, but I first thought that maybe I was playing as usual. I decided to put one of my previous strings to feel if there was a change, and: surprise, the string is broken is a most unusual place. I don't even see how I could have done this myself.

Richard

[url="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/odonovanr/media/string_zps786fa0ff.jpg.html"]http://s1303.photobu...6fa0ff.jpg.html[/url]

Edited by odonovanr

• 5 weeks later...

I'm meeting Richard in about a week and he's going to bring the string with him for me to take a proper look... My first thought was the same as yours, but apparently the tone of the string has gone as well, so there would seem to be something else going on... I trust you've not had an issue with the sound going off...? (Other than the natural loss of top end over time)
Cheers!
Daf :)

I don't think so, no. They sounded good when I took them off, but at first I did think something inside had broken when I took them off and saw them all floppy like that. When I saw they were all like that I just assumed it was normal.

Would be nice if you could find out if this is normal though, given that I was going to sell the set to a friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Right,
we had a look at the string and i removed the silk wrap to take a look inside...
The string is fine - Whew! ;)

the core is folded back on itself to make the loop for the bar, and the point where it appears to kink is where the double thickness core ends and the metal wraps coming down from the playing area also end; so it's the only bit of the string that is only core, which means it's much more flexible. (hope that makes sense!) - see pic... (The scrubby look of the core is just glue)

[url="http://s91.photobucket.com/user/daflewis/media/IMG_1564_zpsa013fe96.jpg.html"][/url]

If that's a rubbish explanation please let me know!! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After meeting Daf, I went to Wales and visited the factory. A string was made before my eyes and having seen that, it seems obvious that the kink is inevitable and that Daf's explanation is right. Because the core is not metal, it will be much more flexible than steel core strings.

When the strings are wound, the core has a quite thick sticky stuff around it. I suppose that this glewy substance gets cracked under tension, but since it has no part in the string resistance - given exclusively by the thread of the core - there is nothing wrong.

And since the new version of the braided strings will have a core which is even more flexible, it will appear to be worse when in fact they will be all right!

So why did the sound go wrong on my string? No idea, and now that Daf has shredded it, we probably won't know. :(

People at the factory were extremely kind and it was very interesting. Great place! :)