Why become a member? ×

So, why is that we are DB and EUB players?

ubassman

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1370620701' post='2103614']
Still hankering after an electric cello and maybe a Chapman Stick, but either of these will require some serious graft just to get a noise from them at all! :D
[/quote]

Ive never really got Cello, seems like a violin and a double bass decided to mate and that was a weird result.
I like Chapman stick some really cool tunes come off them, though id never pick one up...im having a hard enough time with four strings :blush:

Saw and heard my first Stick on the movie Dune Gurney halleck is "playing" it. Its actually Emmett with his arms sticking out past Patrick Stewart.

Edited by Owencf

After 28 years of trying to get an electric bass to sound convincing in a Jazz setting, I finally gave in. Now I wince slightly at yhe wasted decades ;) I have to say I just think it has a more musical timbre and sounds great as a solo instrument whereas I don't feel the same way about the electric. I love the music I play on it more; end of discussion.

I started out playing e-bass, but could never quite get the sound I wanted. Then, one time, while watching the Rock Around the Clock movie, it all became clear how the sound was made...

[media]http://youtu.be/gYIE5lkjXAo[/media]

Marshall Lytle - a great guy and a great bass player - the upright bass world is poorer without him.

[url="http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/may/26/marshall-lytle-bass-player-comets-and-jodimars-die/#axzz2Vp0o1g2x"]http://www.lasvegass.../#axzz2Vp0o1g2x[/url]

Edited by invicta59

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1370873291' post='2106649'] I started out playing e-bass, but could never quite get the sound I wanted. Then, one time, while watching the Rock Around the Clock movie, it all became clear how the sound was made... [media]http://youtu.be/gYIE5lkjXAo[/media] Marshall Lytle - a great guy and a great bass player - the upright bass world is poorer without him. [url="http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/may/26/marshall-lytle-bass-player-comets-and-jodimars-die/#axzz2Vp0o1g2x"]http://www.lasvegass.../#axzz2Vp0o1g2x[/url] [/quote]

This is sweet, seems to be a lack of gimmicky crap a plethora of artists use these days.
Never thought about using a Bass as a sled..

I had an old (seriously cr..ppy) DB from my school,
discovered the Bass guitar and only many years later realised again that it's the feel of the DB,
the strings,the board, as well as the sound that's utterly addictive............

Always loved the tone of a DB but kind-of-accidentally became a singer-songwriter and stuck with the guitar for years. After a brief dalliance with a cello (stopped that when I finally found a cellist who could improvise!) I managed to pick up a cheap gear4music bass. We have a really relaxed open session at a pub not far from me and after about 6 months I took it down there to jam along. I've absolutely loved it since picking it up. The cello is a lovely complement to an acoustic guitar and I still work with the cellist but for sheer fun I don't think the DB can be beaten.
Plus it's cool as hell ;~)

Chris F - similar story for me but it was watching Steve Whitehouse when I was a young 15 year old psychobilly. I've been hooked on that boom, clickety clack ever since!
Took me a long time before buying a bass - I love standing at the back trying to hold it all together and when it comes together its a great great feeling.

[quote name='paddy109' timestamp='1372268038' post='2123673']
Chris F - similar story for me but it was watching Steve Whitehouse when I was a young 15 year old psychobilly. I've been hooked on that boom, clickety clack ever since!
Took me a long time before buying a bass - I love standing at the back trying to hold it all together and when it comes together its a great great feeling.
[/quote]

Ah the Sharks.... another great band. B)

But screw standing at the back..... I want to be right up the front.... Im definitely the exhibitionist out of the 4 of us :blush: :ph34r:

Chris - reformed recently for a tour and CD! the Sharks had split by the time I was old enough to go to gigs and Steve had already formed Frenzy.
I recently recorded in Alan Wilson's famous Western Star studio (ambition fulfilled). It was a far cry from Rockabilly though.

Chris - reformed recently for a tour and CD! the Sharks had split by the time I was old enough to go to gigs and Steve had already formed Frenzy.
I recently recorded in Alan Wilson's famous Western Star studio (ambition fulfilled). It was a far cry from Rockabilly though.

Started on Bass Guitar in School Big Band. Had Double Bass lessons to a point but other life and music got in the way. When had space bought a decent Stentor (Elysia). Nothing hurt so good as playing the Buddy Rich arrangement of Norwegian Wood :D (I had to step up my game with the rehearsing band I was in). But then the band came to nothing and I lost the will to live depping for Trad Jazz Militants :ph34r: Fast forward 7 years and through having decent fretless bass guitars I took the plunge and got hold of a Bespoke Superlight EUB. Bass (as opposed to bass guitar) is so expressive, in fact I'm off to practice now. I don't even mind that first gig back is depping for Trad Jazz militants :P

• 2 weeks later...