Why become a member? ×

String Identifier

ubassman

[b]String:[/b] "Kaplan"
[b]Made by:[/b] D'Addario
[b]Info:[/b] [url="http://String%20"]Product info[/url]
[b]Identifying colours at the winding end : [/b] E lime green , A black , D gold, G red.
[b]Identifying colours at the tailpiece: [/b]All strings have a black silk winding spiral over the natural silver string . The spiral ends with a half inch long solid black winding about 3 inches away from the tailpiece, and theres another solid black band up to the gold coloured buttons.

[b]Personal review:[/b] I got these as an alternative to Belcantos. Aboslutely hated them for about 2 weeks until they bedded in and stretched - now they are my all time favourite string. Good soft but clean pizzicato sound the bowed sound and attack of the string is really impressive.

Edited by ubassman

[b]String:[/b] "JAZZERS"
[b]Made by:[/b] Pirastro
[b]Info:[/b] [url="http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/The-Jazzer-00001/"]Product info[/url]
[b]Identifying colours at the winding ( peg) end : [/b]pale green , black, brown, red.
[b]Identifying colours at the tailpiece: [/b]E gold, A pale green, D blue, G red. Black buttons with white felt padding

[b]Personal review: [/b]Nice string for pizzicato but quite hard to drive if you plan to do any bow work ( the string is very silky slick and the bow tends to skid rather than grip).

[b][/b].

Edited by ubassman

[b]String:[/b] "OBLIGATO"
[b]Info:[/b] [url="http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Obligato-00006/"]Product info[/url]
[b]Identifying colours at the winding ( peg) end : [/b]pale green , black, red , brown.
[b]Identifying colours at the tailpiece: [/b]Red silking with black spiral to all strings , with a black solid band at the end. Black buttons and white felt pads.

[b]Personal review: [/b]Great all round string - the Obligatos are pretty versatile and suit bowing and pizzicato.

[b]String:[/b] "FLAT CHROMOSTEEL SOLO"
[b]Info:[/b] [url="http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Flat-Chromesteel-00001/"]Product info[/url]
[b]Identifying colours at the winding ( peg) end : [/b]Pale blue, dark blue, yellow, green .
[b]Identifying colours at the tailpiece: [/b] White silking with burgundy spiral to all strings , with a burgundy solid band at the either end. Black buttons and white felt pads.

[b]Personal review: [/b] The strings I have are for Solo tuning ( also available for Orchestral tuning ). Strings that sing! Do wear out quite quickly though !

Hi! - Maybe this can be helpful - with a translation programm: [url="http://geba-online.de/KatalogSuche.php?katalog_db=3"]http://geba-online.de/KatalogSuche.php?katalog_db=3[/url] . There also has been a good website of Kort Basses Berlin but they closed their shop this spring and the website seems to be no more longer available. - Best, Thomas

Thanks for the post Thomas, there are a lot of strings out there ! ... what strings do you use ?

Perhaps BC-ers could just take a photo of the strings at the tailpiece and the peg box and identify the make? I have often time been sat watching a bassist and thought to myself "I wonder what those strings would be like on my bass ?"...only to find that theres just not much on line from a visual point of view to identify them.

Would be good to build a visual library ... we all want our basses to sound amazing !! :sun_bespectacled:

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1370177744' post='2097235']
[b]String:[/b] "OBLIGATO"
[b]Info:[/b] [url="http://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Obligato-00006/"]Product info[/url]
[b]Identifying colours at the winding ( peg) end : [/b]pale green , black, red , brown.
[b]Identifying colours at the tailpiece: [/b]Red silking with black spiral to all strings , with a black solid band at the end. Black buttons and white felt pads.

[b]Personal review: [/b]Great all round string - the Obligatos are pretty versatile and suit bowing and pizzicato.

[/quote]
These are also great strings for Yamaha Silent basses and NS uprights.

Brilliant. I've only spirocores a and belcanto's so far in my few years of playing. Spirocores are rubbish IMO. The belcanto's are great. Very growly and a huge sound. They roll a tiny bit for me. I might change the e though as its not so good for pizz for me but the a,d and g are surprisingly pizz friendly. Would you recommend the obligatos for orchestral work at all?

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1370275082' post='2098440']
Brilliant. I've only spirocores a and belcanto's so far in my few years of playing. Spirocores are rubbish IMO. The belcanto's are great. Very growly and a huge sound. They roll a tiny bit for me. I might change the e though as its not so good for pizz for me but the a,d and g are surprisingly pizz friendly. Would you recommend the obligatos for orchestral work at all?
[/quote]

Sam, are you playing on the orange Belcantos at the mo ...maybe post some pictures? I like Obligatos and they are fine for Orchestral but for me don't have the depth of character of Belcantos - but they have a good pizz and are a great all round string.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1370276812' post='2098487']

Sam, are you playing on the orange Belcantos at the mo ...maybe post some pictures? I like Obligatos and they are fine for Orchestral but for me don't have the depth of character of Belcantos - but they have a good pizz and are a great all round string.
[/quote]

Yep orange belcanto's. there not great for pizz for I've found the perfectly useable on gigs except for the e. my jazz pizz is a mixture of classical and jazz. Sort of a downward motion that works well with the a, d and g.

Very excited going to the contrabass ago on Thursday.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1370364070' post='2099766']
Yep orange belcanto's. there not great for pizz for I've found the perfectly useable on gigs except for the e. my jazz pizz is a mixture of classical and jazz. Sort of a downward motion that works well with the a, d and g.

Very excited going to the contrabass ago on Thursday.
[/quote]

...should that be the Contrabass Shoppe ?? !! If you are going up North and are near Nottingham try out Turner Violins - they have a great selection of Frenchies.

Any chance you could take some photos of you Belcantos and add to this reference?

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

To add on the Heritage, they do a pretty fair imitation of gut, considering they are steels. Witness the amazing Phil Palombi playing the reconstructed bass of the late great Scott LaFaro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqQ9dCk9oU

• 3 months later...

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1380200960' post='2222216']
Not sure if I have attached the file correctly but was wondering if anyone recognised these strings. They appear pretty high tension to me.[attachment=144648:20130926_124504.jpg]
[/quote]

Thomastik Superfexible. They're good strings, similar to spiros but with a bit less of a metallic edge to the sound.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what these are?
At the nut end the colour of the end of the strings are Red G, Yellow D, Blue A (I don't have the E)

at the tailpiece end black with gold/yellow spirals...

Thought they were helicore hybrids or something but the colours at the tailpiece don't match up....

• 1 month later...