Why become a member? ×

DIngwall compatible strings?

What are the options?

Obviously there are Dingwall's own Voodoo line (made by GHS I believe). Bass Direct also list 'Payson' strings but their gauges don't seem to match with the Voodoos. I can see a 105 E on the longer scale being having a very unequal tension to the rest.

Are there others that will fit?

Are there enough owners yet to make D'Addario do a set of extra long Pro-steels?

I've used D'Addario Nickels (Reg.Light 45-100) on my ABZ4, and while it's close, they do fit. I use DRs now (Sunbeams 45-105 and Lo-Rider 45-105), and they fit as well. Tensions are great for me, but I play mostly with a pick, so I like a higher tension.

I don't think I've encountered a string that didn't fit, but that is on the 4 string.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was selling strings online, I had a Dingwall player as a customer. He had a fanned fret 5 string. He would order a standard long 4 string set of DR's (DR's have a generous winding length) as well as an extra long B string (40" winding). He was very happy with that set.

Tom

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372078038' post='2121250']
Have they learnt how to make them consistently good yet?
[/quote] That's another story however since I did have to get replacement G from the set then maybe not!! I got them from Strings Direct. You buy the set - RS665EL but you actually get the 4 string extra long set with an additional B. Here they are................. [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/918535/rotosound-rs665el-swing-bass-stainless-steel-roundwound-bass-guitar-strings-45-130-5-string-extra-long-scale/"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/p/918535/rotosound-rs665el-swing-bass-stainless-steel-roundwound-bass-guitar-strings-45-130-5-string-extra-long-scale/[/url]

I've just ordered a 45 65 80 100 130 Super long set of D'Addarios

From experience the 45 and 65 will be much higher tension than the rest, so I've ordered a normal 40 and 60 to replace them. They are normal scale, but as the D & G are both under 35 scale they should fit fine and equalise the tension across the board a bit.

Fingers crossed!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372088706' post='2121406']From experience the 45 and 65 will be much higher tension than the rest, so I've ordered a normal 40 and 60 to replace them. They are normal scale, but as the D & G are both under 35 scale they should fit fine and equalise the tension across the board a bit.[/quote]
Tension varies as the [i]square[/i] of the scale length, so the shorter G & D strings should have noticably less tension than the longer E & B strings. I'd try the 45 and 65 first, because I think they will match up just fine on the fanned fret scale. They do on my half-fanned P/J custom bass.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372455344' post='2126083']
Bollocks.

The D'Addario Super Long Scale are too short on the B string by about 8mm.

This is on an ABZ5 so they would no doubt fit a Dingwall Super J what has a slightly shorter scale.

That's £30 down the toilet then.
[/quote]

Sue them ;)

That's a sod! I called Strings Direct and talked them through my length needs. They are very helpful. Also there is a great guy over on TB who is all knowing about strings. Put a post over there. I needed a set for a 35" through body 5 set hence ending up with the Roto set as mentioned above. They are the longest string sets you can buy except for TI at £70 a throw!!.

A

• 1 month later...

I tried the Paysons Stainless

The tension is a bit too high for me in standard tuning. Great for when I drop it by a tone though.

I'm going to try some Fodera and some Circle K next I think.

I'm just trying to get a lower tension than the stock Dingwall strings, but with a brighter top end - like the D'Addario Pro Steels.

No luck so far!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372455344' post='2126083']
Bollocks.

The D'Addario Super Long Scale are too short on the B string by about 8mm.

This is on an ABZ5 so they would no doubt fit a Dingwall Super J what has a slightly shorter scale.

That's £30 down the toilet then.
[/quote]

An old thread but I'm glad I searched and found this post! Guess I can't put SL's on my Dingwall!

• 4 weeks later...

I've chatted to Kalium and Chirs has been super helpful. Originally we talked about getting some decent strings for my 7 stringer. I'm very impressed with a 183 gauge I have for a low F# and I'm yet to try the 190 he also sent over for an even lower low E! Sadly my usual string supplier is unable to help with the Dingwall string situation so I will either go with Dingwall strings (naturally) that Bass Direct get in or indeed Kalium.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody! A very good strings compatible with Dingwall basses are SANSONE STRINGS. Italian handmade custom strings prodct withhe right lenght for e use on a Dingwall bass.
I use this strings with my Fodera Imperial Elite andKubicki Ex Factor and, when i' ve bought a cutom Z1 Dingawll bass i've decided to use SANSONE STRINGS FOR DINGWALL.
Great stainless strings :)

Try for trust!!!

• Like 1