Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

Ahead of next weeks band rehearsal I have spent a couple of hours this evening learning: Muse Plug In Baby. The Killers All these things I've done. Deelite, Groove is in the heart.

Quite enjoyed myself really :)

So, what new tunes have other BC'ers been working on today?

Edited by gary mac

I love Groove is in the Heart.... Simple bassline yet grooves like nobodys business :D

Today, I haven't picked up my bass, but have been working in composition.

This weekend I have to put some SERIOUS practice in..... Only three weeks tomorrow until my festival gig, and Ultimate Floyds first gig!!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1370550054' post='2102663']
Ahead of next weeks band rehearsal I have spent a couple of hours this evening learning: Muse Plug In Baby. The Killers All these things I've done. Deelite, Groove is in the heart.
[/quote]
What even Bootsy's speaking part in 'Groove...'? That's impressive. :D

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370550260' post='2102666']
I love Groove is in the Heart.... Simple bassline yet grooves like nobodys business :D

[/quote]

It does rather :)

I really like the Muse number but I suspect it wont prove to be a popular choice on the pub circuit around these parts.

Been asked to look at 'All My Life' by Foo Fighters but I'm not convinced it is right for the set so I'm going at it a bit half heartedly and not sure what the correct bassline actually is, it's a bit low in the mix. For once I'm not so sure the guitarpro file for it is all that accurate. Guess I'll sort it out eventually.
Edit, found some fat kid playing along to it on youtube so I'll just rip that off, sounds close enough. I'm just so dedicated...

Edited by KevB

More of 'in the last week or so I have been learning/scoring/jotting notes for' this little lot for a dep. The list is from the dropbox folder of the songs run through at a r/h for the dep last Tuesday:
01 - Turn On Tune In Cop Out
02 - Super Duper Love
03 - Do You Want The Truth
04 - I Try
05 - Valerie
07 - Young Hearts
08 - Do Me
09 - Living For The City
10 - Superstition
11 - Not That Kind
12 - Love Foolosophy
13 - Signed Sealed Delivered
14 - Somebody Elses Guy
15 - I Want Your Love
16 - Rehab
17 - You Can Keep Your Hat On
18 - Come Together
19 - Master Blaster
20 - Teardrops
21 - Long Train Running
22 - Moves Like Jagger
23 - Mr Big Stuff
24 - Play That Funky Music
26 - Money's Too Tight
27 - Forget You
28 - Cosmic Girl
29 - Celebration
30 - Le Freak
31 - Seven Nation Army
33 - Sex Machine
34 - Disco Inferno

Nothing too awkward, except possibly the run in Master Blaster. Some more fun than others, for example 'Moves Like Jagger' is possibly the most tedious bass line that I was at some points playing hammering on to the bass & doubling on the synth :lol: Got my disco flairs & glitter on for 7, 29, 30 & 34

Seven Nation Army was a busk having not heard it, or the version (from Jools) to be covered - my busk was[u][i]nothing[/i][/u] like the track when I finally came to hear it - more Madness than slappity funk - but hey it sort of worked though I need to go back & work on that

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370550260' post='2102666']

This weekend I have to put some SERIOUS practice in..... Only three weeks tomorrow until my festival gig, and Ultimate Floyds first gig!!
[/quote]

youre going to debut a new band at a local festival gig? :o :blink:

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1370613667' post='2103480']
the ones ive had to do this week have been made of stone(stone roses) and Australia(manic street preachers) for tonights set.and 99ways to die(megadeth) just because its a cool tune
[/quote]

Quite an eclectic mix of material.

I've mainly been learning loads of old blues numbers. The band's been running the same old set for a while now and we're having a bit of a shake up. Obviously the structures are fairly simple and the keys aren't too tricky either (mainly E, A and G) so I've just been working on ways to make my walking baselines more interesting.

Grabbed a copy of Ed Friedlands 'Constructing Your Own Walking Bass Lines' and I'm raring to go!

Songs that got special attention for being so frickin' awesome are:

Mess of Blues - Elvis
Walk the Dog - Rufus Thomas
Kansas City - Wilbur Harrison
Something Else - Eddie Cochran
Before You Accuse Me - Eric Clapton

All totally walk-tastic and great fun!

Truckstop

[quote name='shybaldbuddhist' timestamp='1370551695' post='2102713']
I spent most of the afternoon working out the bass parts from the Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem.

Mainly to work on my ear but also to learn more hip hop lines because they're so simple but groove so well!
[/quote]

The title track to that album has some nice playing.

I've never sat down and worked out the parts but they sound good.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1370613825' post='2103483']

youre going to debut a new band at a local festival gig? :o :blink:
[/quote]

Yep.... It's either a brilliant idea or completely mental....can't decide which.... But it'll certainly be an experience :lol:

We have the first slot on the Friday night, so if we stuff up there will be others behind us..... But in fairness, I hope we will go down well... Everyone is working hard :D

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370638028' post='2103934']
Yep.... It's either a brilliant idea or completely mental....can't decide which.... But it'll certainly be an experience :lol:

We have the first slot on the Friday night, so if we stuff up there will be others behind us..... But in fairness, I hope we will go down well... Everyone is working hard :D
[/quote]You've got to start somewhere, so why not - mind everything thereafter will be an anticlimax :lol:

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1370804155' post='2105813']
Last night remembered I was meant to have learnt Jump by Van Halen 5 minutes before I was due to leave for my gig. Fortunately it only took as long to learn as it did to listen to!
[/quote]
Good man :)