Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1395487810' post='2402942']
Tell me about it. But if you want to make a decent living out of music you're not always going to play what you want. I've had years of doing that. Started off playing in a 50's 60's Blues Rock band, playing Allman Bros and obscure Beatles songs, to now, getting prepared for the cruises in late summer.

Even one MD told us that throughout the 6-week tour they do not want nothing before 1980. Sucks, but if I'm getting paid to play music, I'll play Robbie Williams and KOL to shitmunchers all day long.
[/quote]

Absobloodylutely mate.

I am going in the reverse direction to you. Started on the paid gigs, went pro and played whatever was put in front of me. Learned a lot (i hope). Now i am playing songs ONLY from before 1980 in one band and another band whose choice of covers just about surface a hit on Google

Edited by BottomE

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of John Mayer been learnt up today, pretty much the whole of Continuum, Vultures is perhaps one of my favourites as it's so simple yet so groovy! Also HUGE shout for Belief and Bold as Love Hendrix cover!

Gotta love Pino's playing!

• 3 weeks later...

Had a fun session, [I]not[/I] learning songs for the covers band last night, worked out Bulls On Parade and I'm Housin' by Rage Against The Machine and revisted a couple I used to know but not played in ages - Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke and Beyonce's De Ja Vu

• 1 month later...

our bunch have selceted this on the 'to do next' list

[media]http://youtu.be/At3OP5CvIRY[/media]

ive categorically told them i will only start looking at it if they are 100% on it - not technically difficulty to play, more of a memory feat, two and half minutes , 64 plus bars and no two bars the same, and my grey cells are deteriorating daily here at an rapid pace :blink:

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1412405218' post='2568599']
Mr Brightside by The Killers, I've been having a tinker with this on my own this week, and played it with the boys last night, a good fun song.
[/quote]

That one seems to always go down well. We haven't played it in a while but I would like to see it back in the set.

Today I've been refreshing the memory for a dep gig I've got fast approaching:

Sweet Child of mine, Welcome to the Jungle, It's so easy, You could be mine, Slither, Fool for your Loving, Free Bird, Back in Black, You shook me all night long, Highway to Hell, The Pretender (Foo's), Black Dog (tricky little blighter!), Heartbreaker, Gimme Shelter & Reelin' in the years.

Very enjoyable & productive day. :)

.. A simple twekve bar, transposing the notes and creating my own turnaround for an open mic night jam... With a session pro guitard
No pressure there

Yeah I know it's simple stuff but he advised to keep it simple for my first time in front of an audience

• 1 month later...