Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1370550260' post='2102666']
I love Groove is in the Heart.... Simple bassline yet grooves like nobodys business :D

Today, I haven't picked up my bass, but have been working in composition.

This weekend I have to put some SERIOUS practice in..... Only three weeks tomorrow until my festival gig, and Ultimate Floyds first gig!!
[/quote]

Good luck with the gig Deb :-) I've been learning Hey Joe by Hendrix and Dancing in the Moonlight by Thin Lizzy but I've got a couple of SRV and a couple of Gary Moore songs to jam next Tuesday and I won't be getting a bassline or two from Mr Ace until Saturday :-0

Today is my first real opportunity to get back into some focused shedding since our baby no.2 arrived and I have mostly been learning that the super skinny Am jazz special neck that I bought for my custom P project is far too super skinny for my shovel-like hands and it's giving me hand cramps :(. Geddy Lee I am not! (in many many ways ;))
Beyond this I've been learning Jerry Scheff's kickin' bassline to L.A. Woman. :)

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1370947009' post='2107721']
I do sometimes when I can find some TAB but they are always more complex.. I haven't done any transcribing yet :-0
[/quote]I always find TAB completely confusing as 99% of the time there's no real indication of note length, added to which most of what I have found on t'internet is utter blx.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1370947009' post='2107721']
I do sometimes when I can find some TAB but they are always more complex.. I haven't done any transcribing yet :-0
[/quote]

Internet tabs are often rubbish.

You should give transcribing a go Paul!

All I do is listen to the track, and work out the root notes first.....I have a notepad at the side of me to jot them down. Then once I have my root note "starter for ten" I go back through the tracks trying to work out the lines in the different passages. I don't worry about getting it note for note the majority of the time, it's more about getting the feel and something that serves the song.... I suppose you could make it as easy or complex as you like!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained ;)

I always find it rewarding when I work out a line myself rather than rely on outside influences :P

Yep, sometimes. Songsterr isn't too bad if you can find the song.... It has the notes as well... But it usually has all of the bars, so I get my paper out and work out the riffs etc.. onto a single sheet. Problem is that it doesnt break down to simpler riffs that would work usually..

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1371370692' post='2112934']
Wifey was out last night, so I took the opportunity to start learning Queens Don't Stop Me Now for an upcoming gig. Quite enjoyed myself :)
[/quote]

Were you having such a good time? Were you having a ball? ;)

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1371383758' post='2113134']

Indeed I was Deb. More so than Mrs Mac was having at the party, so I'm told :unsure:
[/quote]

If she wanted to have a good time, she should have given you a call ;)

I'll stop pissing around with the lyrics now..... Couldn't resist today :P

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1371384325' post='2113145']
If she wanted to have a good time, she should have given you a call ;)

I'll stop pissing around with the lyrics now..... Couldn't resist today :P
[/quote]

Well it gave me a chuckle, so thanks. :)