Why become a member? ×

What tunes have you been learning today?

gary mac

Well tonight Matthew.........I'm going to be Joe Bonamassa and Gary Moore :D

3 new songs today for Thursday :

All your Love- Gary Moore
Slow Train- Bonamassa
You upset me Baby- Bonamassa

...and I went over:

Walking by Myself- Gary Moore
Cold Shot- SRV
Hey Joe- Hendrix

....finished off with a couple of slugs of Jack Daniels out of the bottle. Theres some benefit to doing this Blues stuff B)

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1372029082' post='2120913']
Learnt Pump it up (Elvis Costello).
Awesome tune one of those i think a bassist should know.
[/quote]
+1
That's one of my favourite live songs to play, watching the detectives is another good one, loads of fun.
Cheers
Thebassman

Edited by thebassman

Been learning a bit of Metallica but only half halfheartedly as I'm not really feeling much bass love at the minute I shouldn't really be playing as I am waiting to go into hospital for an op on my hand as I've done something to my tendons so all I have been doing for the last few weeks is 10 mins here and there on the bass booo hooo me lol

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1372059749' post='2120994']
Been learning a bit of Metallica but only half halfheartedly as I'm not really feeling much bass love at the minute I shouldn't really be playing as I am waiting to go into hospital for an op on my hand as I've done something to my tendons so all I have been doing for the last few weeks is 10 mins here and there on the bass booo hooo me lol
[/quote]

Hope you get sorted soon. Maybe bass playing will be recommended as a form of physio for you :)

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1372141224' post='2122011']
Bernadette - 4 tops, just for my own enjoyment.

Also Sittin' on the dock of the bay as I think it's a good song that I can practice singing and playing at the same time.
[/quote]

Heard Bernadette whilst driving to the shops a couple of days back, just love that bass line. Like you, I think I'll learn it just for my own enjoyment.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1372098306' post='2121588']
Just been asked to learn this for a dep gig.... interesting slap solo!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBGMyipUP0o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBGMyipUP0o[/url]
[/quote]

Frigging hell Chay, you don't half get some challenging dep material :lol:

Good luck with that slap solo matey :P

Edited by SpaceChick

• 1 month later...

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1377266459' post='2185588']
Quality tunes there Gary :D

We've added 'Time' into our set. That's a fun bassline, rhythm varies a lot and also varies between staccato notes and sustained notes. Good fun :D
[/quote] Still love that number, after all these years, I always enjoy it and seem to be in the right mood for it.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1370948040' post='2107734']
I decided to look at the notes in the blues bass book for hoochie coochie man. I learned it and realised it actually hasn't improved my ability on the bass. Jeff Berlin was right.
[/quote]

Hoochie Coochie Man!

Cool tune. Have you tried the Albert Cummings version, medleyed with Dixie Chicken? We play that one, and it usually goes down really well with the punters.

RK

• 3 weeks later...

I just been learning 'Stuck' by 'Caro Emerald', 'Here comes the rain again' by 'The Eurythmics', 'If it wasn't for love' by 'The Steeldrivers' and funily enough 'I kissed a girl' but the unplugged version with Dave Brubeck intro for our acoustic band (doublebass).
Were doing the Steeldrivers one with a rockabilly feel which is always fun :)

Oh and I've also got to learn this week for a big gig at The Eden Project, 'Dancing in the Dark' and 'Make me smile (come up and see me)' at the request of the CEO of BT Cornwall ............... hmmm, still BT are paying big bucks so I don't mind :)