Why become a member? ×

Vic Firth endpins

chrkelly

Was having a look through Chuck Traeger's bass repair book and one of the first things he talks about are old school wooden endpins. They're meant to vibrate more freely than mordern day steel ones and therefore improve your sound. I've got a 5/8inch diameter spike on my new Tarrantino which according to the book, will fit a 2B hickory drumstick perfectly. A pair of sticks costs only about £7 so I give it a try. It actually works. My bass has a pretty big resonant sound anyway but now it sounds even more open, especially in the higher register. I wouldn't say it's louder, just a more free sound. Better still, the instrument vibrates a lot more with the low C shaking every bone in your body. This is with arco, I found the effect is less pronounced for pizz. Looks a bit weird though setting up with a drumstick in your bass, I'll see how many funny looks I get at the gig tomorrow.

Your avatar makes me queasy!

[quote name='chrkelly' post='212599' date='Jun 4 2008, 04:46 PM']Was having a look through Chuck Traeger's bass repair book and one of the first things he talks about are old school wooden endpins. They're meant to vibrate more freely than mordern day steel ones and therefore improve your sound. I've got a 5/8inch diameter spike on my new Tarrantino which according to the book, will fit a 2B hickory drumstick perfectly. A pair of sticks costs only about £7 so I give it a try. It actually works. My bass has a pretty big resonant sound anyway but now it sounds even more open, especially in the higher register. I wouldn't say it's louder, just a more free sound. Better still, the instrument vibrates a lot more with the low C shaking every bone in your body. This is with arco, I found the effect is less pronounced for pizz. Looks a bit weird though setting up with a drumstick in your bass, I'll see how many funny looks I get at the gig tomorrow.[/quote]