Why become a member? ×

What to play in "Eleanor Rigby?"

fretmeister

It has indeed got a real bass part, played on a real bass too, not one of those electric things. :)

What to do live wasn't a problem for McCartney as they'd stopped playing live by the time Revolver came out.

If you're going to try & replicate some of the string arrangement on a bass I wouldn't think an Ebow would be much use as a lot of it is quite staccato.

Edited by RhysP

I do a version with a band that improvises around classic songs. We do a fairly funky version and I use some of the cello phrases, the descending scale sounds good if you play around with it and use the dynamics. Always goes down well and there's a lot of room to play around in.

You might also find some inspiration in the version by David Schommer with David Jensen.
Be aware that this version is very different, but who knows, maybe the bass still provides you with something.
Me, I think it's worth one's time even if it doesn't:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TpPCNR9CEc[/media]

Good luck with this!

best,
bert

I'd forgotten all about that Thrice cover, recording sounds like a demo though, its pretty raw. They did a storming version of Helter Skelter as a b-side a few years ago, that's worth looking up on YouTube. I Want You (She's So Heavy) too, didn't know about that one until just now. Thanks for making me go looking! I love Thrice but haven't explored all the B-sides and non-album stuff thoroughly yet.

You're going to be playing this with your band?

If that's the case what you play will depend on what the others in your band play. If it was me, I'd work out some simple lines based on the chords and then wait to hear what the rest of the band are doing.

If you are just playing along to the track for your own amusement, then anything you want that fits.

BTW I've never managed to get a Ebow to work with bass strings.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1370767071' post='2105181']

BTW I've never managed to get a Ebow to work with bass strings.
[/quote]

It can be done but it's going to take an up-rated field generator for the heavier strings and properly spaced guide channels to make it work as well on bass as it does on guitar. Sustained notes are ok but arpeggios are almost impossible because of the string gaps.
Maybe we should petition Ebow to make a bass version.

Myk

PS. I've even used the Ebow on my Variax bass, which doesn't have mag pups, by starting the string vibrating with my little finger behind the Ebow. Fun, but not good enough for band use.

Technically if you can get the Ebow to work on the average low E guitar string then it should also be able to drive at least the G on a bass. I've never managed to make it happen.

You could never have used that Variax technique with the original Ebow as it required the presence of a magnetic field to switch the circuit on. They only added the switch after complaints from guitarists who rapidly ran down the batteries by leaving it when not in use in the handiest place - on top of their amp!

Personally I'd prefer someone to have another go at getting the Gizmo to work as usable commercial product.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371300491' post='2112298']

Personally I'd prefer someone to have another go at getting the Gizmo to work as usable commercial product.
[/quote]

Well, I haven't heard that word for years. (at least not in terms of a mechanical actuator of guitar strings!)

The guitarist I was working with at the time had one fitted on to his Ovation Breadwinner - it was a brilliant thing.

1970s - great time to be playing music!

Cheers

Ed

Edited by EMG456