Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR 1600

lushuk

i tried one not too long ago, it was fantastic and those nordstrand big singles have some real power too, great basses.......however i felt the sr600 although didnt sound quite as good felt exactly the same to play, in fact it had a touch better action and was around £400 less. (not as pretty though)

Edited by winterfire666

Thx for the reply, i was surprised as its not really my thing but it played nice and was so versatile, i did try the 600 and yes it played nice as well but did look cheaper....................., i only went in for some strings!

thanks guys, yeah ive seen the 1000 its only 8 miles from me maybe worth a peek, if not may go to the shop with me amp and cab for a play, that worrying thing was it made my precision seem a bit like a 1 trick pony (compared too) maybe i need to sleep on it :)

Hi,

I've just bought an SR1205 moving from an SRA505.
The difference in terms of sound and quality is massive, but:

I have to return it since the back of the neck as an odd profile issue in the position between the 1st and 2nd freet.
I bought it from GAK and they confirmed free replacement. I'm waiting for the details.

Generally speaking the sound is very nice, very very nice and the overall feeling is good.
The bag itself is very good too.

but there are some other things I would like to see improved to call it perfect:
1) it makes some strange static electrical noises while playing it through the cable, absolutely noiseless using Line6 wireless
2) the action is too high for me, I will have to go to a liuthier to reduce the height at the nut since I don't want to risk it myself
3) the action at the brigde can go so low as I would. Strange that the G string saddle has been insterted 1 mm into the body while all the others are just at the surface level.
4) I don't like how the freets are smoothed on their sides since I clearly feel them on the side of the neck - they could have smoothed them in a better way
5) in the current one I have to return there are at least two frets that need to be lowered a bit
6) the pan pot makes some cracks while moving it

Overall, I'm happy but I would like to have a factory quality control more sever: mine has passed all the QC inspections with that neck issue...

Edited by andreapenna

I've got a SR1000. Bought it new in 1990 & it's been my main gigging bass since then. I've tried quite a few other basses & whereas there was a lot of good ones (including a rather nice Dingwall), the only benefit I could find would be to get either a 5 (or 6) string or get a fretless (or both).

If I had spare funds, I'd get another 1000 & get one defretted.

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1371249193' post='2111861']
thanks guys, yeah ive seen the 1000 its only 8 miles from me maybe worth a peek, if not may go to the shop with me amp and cab for a play, that worrying thing was it made my precision seem a bit like a 1 trick pony (compared too) maybe i need to sleep on it :)
[/quote]
Yup, your P bass is a one trick pony in comparison... It is a trick that is usually good though.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1371288991' post='2112110']
i cant comment on the SR 1600, though I do have a K5 . I think the sound is vastly different to your P's or J's. Its a much more modern tone which , not all people will like. personally I love it, but its never going to take the place of either my P or my J
[/quote]
Yes. It's evolutionary.

The P & J designs obviously were born in a different era...and represent that in all of their goodness. It's interesting to consider that when they were conceived everyday items such as the microwave oven, cars without manual chokes and colour TV were the stuff of sci-fi,...,never mind mobile phones, LCD flat screen tv's, wi-fi and the internet etc.

P & J's are like classic car design, your SR1600's of this world are the latest highly developed, evolved variation on the classic theme.

Edited by White Cloud

Bit of a grim tale above regarding the QC hope it gets sorted ok, yeah one trick pony but no complaints as you say as to the trick it does, although I must bear in mind the sr1600 will sound different in a band situ than a shop at low volume, think I'm going back next week for another play, as mentioned above the sr600 is tempting at half the price but im not a wood fan and the burl wood gets away with it, I took a photo in the shop ill see if I can post it!

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1371291530' post='2112187']
Here is the actual sr1600 in front of the sr600 although the pic does not do it justice imho :)
[/quote]
Both basses are very tactile and need to be played to be appreciated. I had a 605 as a back up gigging bass...it was a wonderful bass.

Yeah Mr L glad you recognised it :) like ive said I dint even like it till i played it, since then its been growing on me all weekend! I think the boys said someone had ordered a 5 er, must have been you! think im going to have one more test run...............

Just a quick update on my SR1205 issue: GAK customer service guy organized the collection for tomorrow morning.
But they are not sending a replacement, they want to inspect it before.
then they do not have another one available in stock, so I will have to wait at least for another week.

I got a fautly item from an Amazon seller and got the replacement delivered the same day, and the faulty one collected few days later. Customer first.
In this case instead is "shop first, customer... maybe".
So this week I'm back to my old one, this Satuday gig will be with the old one and, who knows, maybe next week willl have a new SR-1205.

Hmmm.... is this the standard approach?

Only ever brought once from GAK and there were a few problems with the transaction, but to be fair with them they sorted it out quickly and compensated for my troubles to my satisfaction so can only put it down to one of those things, guess you need to sit back see what happens and then take it from there! I think depending on the product would determine how they go about exchanging/repairing etc. good luck, let us know! :)

I've ordered an sr1605 which is due to land in October. I based my purchase on my experience with the SR1205 and SR1200. The nordstrands are much better than the Bartolinis in the SR605/SR600 which the closest thing ive tried to the 1200/1205. I'm really excited because on paper it's exactly what I'm after and if its as good as the SR1205 ill be happy :) It was only the burl top that swing it to the 1605 for me!

[quote name='lushuk' timestamp='1371493810' post='2114612']
Yeah I think (lol) I like the burl top, i think its different and i guess each one unique! its a long wait till October! :)
[/quote]

Tell me about it! The worst thing is, there's only one really poor demo by GAK online (the sound quality is bad and it doesn't do the pickups/tonal palette I know the bass has, any justice) and there are hardly any photos other than stock so I can't even get a feel for how the burl top could turn out. It's going to be my reading bass and it looks ideal. Any tone at my finger tips and the low range making reading positions more comfortable and more efficient. Excited!!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1371495629' post='2114660']
Tell me about it! The worst thing is, there's only one really poor demo by GAK online (the sound quality is bad and it doesn't do the pickups/tonal palette I know the bass has, any justice) and there are hardly any photos other than stock so I can't even get a feel for how the burl top could turn out. It's going to be my reading bass and it looks ideal. Any tone at my finger tips and the low range making reading positions more comfortable and more efficient. Excited!!
[/quote]
Congratulations! Beautiful basses cannot praise my 1205 enough...and I love the burl top on the 1605. It looks like a boutique class bass to me.

The tones on offer are wonderful at volume...lovely.