Why become a member? ×

How often do you change your strings?

jim_bass

I broke an A string the other weekend about 4 bars into the first song. No spares and no backup bass. I had to remove the offending string mid song and keep playing without it. This lead me to my question - How often do you change your strings?

My first bass went for 10 years without a string change! Never broke one, stayed in tune fairly well, no problems. After deciding to change the string on a whim I then went through about 3 A strings in a couple of the months! I suppose I did wipe the strings down after each gig which seemed to keep them in good condition.

My current bass (a Squier CV jazz which I bought from this forum about 4 years ago) has done me proud for about 4 years without a string change until now?

I read an interview with Matt Freeman form Rancid who said that he avoided changing the strings on his 70's P bass as he didn't want to do anything to change it.

So I just put on a set of Fender nickel coats strings as they were only 12.99.

Any thoughts?

For me it was always once I really had no life left in them - Rotosound Steel Rounds - usually about a year, year & a half. Am now using Rotosound Nickel Rounds, and on my main bass, had a set on there for 5 months now, which is nothing, but they seem to retain more of their original sound than the steels. Hopefully, the answer will be unless breakage, never.

Been playing in a band for 8 years now, and I've never broken a string, although I do change them from time to time, I'm down to about once a year now, that's with about 30 2 hour gigs and a band practice about every other week, last time I changed them (DR neons) I couldn't tell any difference, so the next change will probably be even longer, I play punk with a pick btw

Every couple of months. Depending on when the 'zing' goes. I do have a very agricultural technique. Slightly angled plectrum bashing away near the bridge. D'Addario Pro Steels seem to be lasting longer than coated strings and other similar brands I've used. I've just put a nickel set of D'addarios on to see how they go.

When I buy a new bass, I put flats on and leave it. I haven't bought a bass in over 3yrs so at least that and counting....

I restrung my upright bass last week as I wanted to put some rockabilly weedwackers on it. That was a workout in itself! Nobody would moan about restringing guitars or bass guitars ever again once you've done a double bass :)

Many years ago I changed strings every month to keep the "zing". Then I started using DR's which were twice the price of the Rotos I used at the time so I changed every 2 months. Now I never change them. If the bass gets set up then I'll put new strings on but other than that they're on til they break.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1371572449' post='2115708']
I change strings every gig. I hate "old " strings. I hear a difference after a few hours of playing . I use rounds , but find flats also " go off" after a short period of playing
[/quote]
I dread to ask what that costs you. I flinch at the price of decent strings. Probably why I now never change them, lol!

Roto trubass on acoustic bass same set from new, that was in 1980 or thereabouts. I am serious, and they are still ok. TI flats on what was main bass, 7 yrs plus. Ti flats on current main player 3+ years. What is this string changing thing?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1371562439' post='2115547']
How often you play is just as important as how often you change strings!

I rarely change strings (once a year or so) but I don't play much more than an hour or two a week.
[/quote]

+1 :)

I change them when they go..which is anything from 2 weeks onwards...but 6 weeks max.
Since I gig two basses, they are set up the same so I can probably get more time out of them if I need to.
My current sets are Newtones and they come very clean out fo the pack..something I noticed that changed with my other regular brand, so these
will clean up ok..or have done so far.
I do think fatigue will kill the string after a while and the max re-cleans I've been able to get has been 5 changes.
This needs very careful restringing as you can get weak points. Also, you have to be careful how the strings settle into the bridge
as again, you can promote stress points.
Any strings that don't clean up well, get binned ( which is why I moved from DR ) as you can't have an unbalnaced set..and I never change just the one..always a set.
The packs cost about £30 per set per 5 st... and I have 3 sets of Newtones sitting around waiting to go on...so I have done well to
make the sets last. What with rotation and new orders, I generally don't have to buy more that 3-6 per year.

With the festival season coming up...I find strings can go off a bit quicker when outside...
I wouldn't say I am hard at all on strings and I keep them clean without being anal about it..
My second bass..which I practice on, has strings that need changing but my preamp/comp pedal keeps them
from being useless, but I will change the strings for the weekend and the next run of gigs.

I play at least two 2 hour sets a week plus about 6 hours worth of light playing (rehearsals/practice etc) in the week.

I change the strings (LaBella Stainless Steels if anyone cares) annually along with a truss rod tweak and any other work that might need doing. Normally in the spring time when the temperature starts to rise a little bit. I give the instrument a little clean with some polish, clean the fretboard with some lemon oil, spray the insides with some switch cleaner, oil any moving parts and generally take care of it!

I haven't broken a string for about 7 years and if I ever did I'd change the set straight away.

Truckstop