Why become a member? ×

Any one used the Korg MS-20 ic usb mini?

DanEly

I'm starting to play synth in some projects now and I'm looking for something special.

I found the Korg Legacy collection Ms-20ic or something..|

As well as this sounding [i]like [/i]the real MS20 it looks cool, we people like things that looks cool huh?
I know they have small keys and that the quality of them isn't all that great but I really want a controller thats going to look killer on stage as well as function half decent and behave it's self.

Has anyone used one? Do they work well?

Edited by DanEly

Are you talking about the new version of the Korg MS20, or the controller that you could get with the original issue of the Legacy collection plug-ins?

Having owned an original MS20 and used it as my main synth for many years, I think that they are good (if you like the sound), but on the whole over-rated. The patch-bay looks like it's going to give you some fantastic routing options, but when you get into it you'll find that there's almost no audio path access and most of the modulation connections are managed with a simple set of switches on synths from other manufacturers. So what you are left with is a synth that looks cool, but offers little sonically that can't be done by any other dual oscillator mono-synth, and is actually much harder to set up for more complex sounds. Of course if you're using the plug in version then you can get around this by saving your patches, but as a stand-alone synth it's not so good.

My advice as always would be to look at the Nord Lead. Mk1 versions go for stupidly cheap prices. It does pretty much everything that the Korg MS20 does, It has patch memories so you can use it easily with out a computer, but it also has a fantastic MIDI spec that asigns every knob and switch on the front panel to a MIDI CC for ultimate sequencer control. If I could only have one synth, this would be it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371484289' post='2114426']
Are you talking about the new version of the Korg MS20, or the controller that you could get with the original issue of the Legacy collection plug-ins?

Having owned an original MS20 and used it as my main synth for many years, I think that they are good (if you like the sound), but on the whole over-rated. The patch-bay looks like it's going to give you some fantastic routing options, but when you get into it you'll find that there's almost no audio path access and most of the modulation connections are managed with a simple set of switches on synths from other manufacturers. So what you are left with is a synth that looks cool, but offers little sonically that can't be done by any other dual oscillator mono-synth, and is actually much harder to set up for more complex sounds. Of course if you're using the plug in version then you can get around this by saving your patches, but as a stand-alone synth it's not so good.

My advice as always would be to look at the Nord Lead. Mk1 versions go for stupidly cheap prices. It does pretty much everything that the Korg MS20 does, It has patch memories so you can use it easily with out a computer, but it also has a fantastic MIDI spec that asigns every knob and switch on the front panel to a MIDI CC for ultimate sequencer control. If I could only have one synth, this would be it.
[/quote]

I'm looking at the MIDI controller with the smaller keys that comes with the software

Thanks for the info!

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1371548934' post='2115232']
I'm looking at the MIDI controller with the smaller keys that comes with the software

Thanks for the info!
[/quote]

I've used keyboards with mini keys for recording and it's hard work but do-able with practice. I wouldn't want to use one live.

However if you have no previous keyboard playing experience you probably won't find it any harder to learn provided that you haven't got very big hands.

• 2 months later...

[/quote]

Yep thats about it
i had a ms20 did not like it, and it was noisy on straight pad sounds you could hear the oscillator faintly in the background so you could not do a say soft string sound, and it was..... fizzy is the only way to describe it,
it may have had it.
i then got a MS2000 had that a short while, but while i had that i also had a novation KS rack, iv sold the Ms2000 as the novation
is alot better despite all the retro hype about the ms2000, the novation is fatter, warmer, and punches through the mix better, the arpeg on it is great, i love it, still got it would never part with it.
I did look at the nord as i like the nord stuff, i got an electro 2 seventy three when it came out, still have that too, another piece of well used great sounding gear i would buy again if broke.
You have inspired me to go look for nord synth now .... bugger :facepalm: .
here is my novation... :gas:
[attachment=142507:nov.jpg]

Edited by funkgod

My advice as always would be to look at the Nord Lead.... it also has a fantastic MIDI spec that asigns every knob and switch on the front panel to a MIDI CC for ultimate sequencer control. If I could only have one synth, this would be it.
[/quote]

Other synths do this as well.