Why become a member? ×

We Need Strings - Charity

tayste_2000

I don't know if any of you have seen this? http://weneedstrings.com/

But it's an excellent scheme setup by Janek Gwizdala, helping to provide strings to areas of the world that just can't get them. Now this might seem trivial but I spent a few years in Venezuela and getting strings was a nightmare, cheapest sets were £40 (Ernie Balls) (this was 8-10 years ago) and to a lot of people that's an entire week's salary. Hell I've got uk friends who can't afford to replace a £15 set of strings after breaking one, who I've just bought strings for because, well sometimes you just gotta help people out.

So I've offered to be a UK hub for this, lets face it, it isn't going to be cheap to send a set or 2 to LA. So I've offered to act as a hub and post the strings across once a month (maybe more often if it proves really popular). I'm hoping that this cost saving to you all helps encourage you to send your strings across.

At this time I'd rather not publish my address but if people who want to send strings across PM me, I'll flick the address across.

Additionally please share about and let as many players know as possible.

I'd appreciate if a Mod can sticky this?

Official http://weneedstrings.com/central-donation-location-for-the-uk/

Just in case people thought I was after free strings.

Had some promising donations, can I urge people to speak to their locals techs these guys do a couple of restrings a day, same with roadies and techs out with bands.

I'd like to share this story from Talkbass

[QUOTE=Baird6869]Great cause.

I have about 20 nearly new bass string sets that I was about to sell in the classifieds, I will send them to Janek ASAP.

A quick story thy some of you might find interesting....

As a Canadian, I have travelled to Cuba on vacation a few times. Each time I go, I bring a couple of bass string sets as well as 3 or 4 acoustic guitar sets (MAYBE worth $35 total).

On my last trip I saw a guitarist tying a knot (the 3rd on that string) on his broken G string. I asked him if he could use a new set if strings and he hugged me, invited me to play a few songs with the band, invited me to his home for dinner and brought me a bunch of cigars the next day. Of course, I didn't ask for anything and only took the cigars as his brother rolled them for me.

A couple of days later, I saw a great band playing in a market in Veradero, Cuba. Bass player was pretty good considering she had no E string! I gave her a set of bass strings and she was actually crying. She was so excited it was crazy. Over a stupid set of $12 strings.

Strings may be cheap and easy for us to discount as necessities, but to many people in countries like Cuba, they are nearly impossible to come by and they are very expensive imported goods if they can even find them.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1371666244' post='2116829']
Get yourself a facebook page (not group) set up and you'll have a ton of them sent to you
[/quote]

Yes, do this for sure. And then ask every one of us on basschat to like and share the page and let's get some strings out there.

Edit: I shared their website on Facebook - I'm friends with enough guitarists and bass players to get a few sets sent out and I've got 3-4 old sets I can send. I also singled out one of my dad's old friends who's a very experienced session musician (keys though, not guitar/bass) so he can hopefully send it out to his contacts. In fact, from his website: "I have a musical career spanning almost 30 years, You can hear my Keyboard playing on many albums & TV shows Featuring the following artists.

Ray Charles, James Brown, Lionel Ritchie, Joe Cocker, Hue & Cry, Curtis Steigers, Lulu, Will Young, Sister Sledge, Elaine Paige, The Nolans, Sarah Brightman, Boy George, Russell Watson, Katherine Jenkins, The Roly Poly’s, Michael Ball, Shirley Bassey, Beverly Craven, James Morrison,The Feeling, McFly, Sophie Ellis Bexter, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes." So I'd say he knows a few people!

Edited by Mornats

I have a few sets of old strings. Don't know how good they are though. I'll maybe have a hoke through my used string bin and pick up some alright looking sets :) But I do seem to recall having a set of D'Addario half rounds with very little use! I'll share this on the Relay page!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1371669313' post='2116863']

Yes, do this for sure. And then ask every one of us on basschat to like and share the page and let's get some strings out there.

Edit: I shared their website on Facebook - I'm friends with enough guitarists and bass players to get a few sets sent out and I've got 3-4 old sets I can send. I also singled out one of my dad's old friends who's a very experienced session musician (keys though, not guitar/bass) so he can hopefully send it out to his contacts. In fact, from his website: "I have a musical career spanning almost 30 years, You can hear my Keyboard playing on many albums & TV shows Featuring the following artists.

Ray Charles, James Brown, Lionel Ritchie, Joe Cocker, Hue & Cry, Curtis Steigers, Lulu, Will Young, Sister Sledge, Elaine Paige, The Nolans, Sarah Brightman, Boy George, Russell Watson, Katherine Jenkins, The Roly Poly’s, Michael Ball, Shirley Bassey, Beverly Craven, James Morrison,The Feeling, McFly, Sophie Ellis Bexter, Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes." So I'd say he knows a few people!
[/quote]
Is that Malcolm maddock at all?

This string donation is a wonderful idea, and really seems to be getting about. I have a set or 2 I'd happily donate.

Dan

So, I've organised for my store in York to donate all used strings from shop floor models and customer restrings (unless otherwise stated) in addition to informing all customers purchasing strings about the scheme in the hope they too will donate. Hopefully this will help :)