Why become a member? ×

We Need Strings - Charity

tayste_2000

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1371998432' post='2120443']
Ste, I can set up a box in the shop if you want? I average about 10 restrings/setups a week on basses.

Are guitar strings any use?
[/quote]

That's great mate and I can bob by to collect every now and then

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1371998872' post='2120451']
Very good point pete. I have an old set of ukulele strings which I was going to put in anyway. They get used or they don't!

Dan
[/quote]

Any and all strings are welcome, they will be sending to as many musicians as they can.

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1372001818' post='2120495']
Have you all got the address from the website? I've not had as many pm's as I would have thought given the comments?
[/quote]

I still need to have a rummage through all my old ones to find anything decent, but I can grab your address from the site. I was on it the other day and saw it posted, so that's fine. I'll give you a PM if you like when I'm sending them off?

This is an excellent idea - I've always felt bad about throwing a lot of perfectly good metal away, and was looking in vain for somewhere I could recycle my old Rotos. Sadly I had no choice but to throw away the last stockpile of old sets as I recently moved house but if you're still happy to collect then I'd be happy to send them to you.

(I will almost certainly have a used set of Ernie Ball Cobalts going spare this time next week - though I'd treat myself to a re-string before our album launch gig!)

What a great idea,for some strange reason when I fit a set of new strings I put the old ones in the packaging that I have just opened,keeping them as "spares".Having never broken a bass string this is stupid. I will be delighted to send you some strings,and will pm you for the address. Even more annoying is the fact that I visited Cuba this year and enjoyed the local music unaware of the problem that musicians were facing.Thanks for bringing this to the forum. Cheers Eddbass

Ste, does this mean you pay the postage out of your own pocket?
In case, many of us could just send directly to the US. That or we could support you in that respect if you feel it gets a bit expensive. Looking at the pic, it looks like it will.

best,
be
;-)

Yeah it does but it's changing all the time, I'm only sending one box at the moment to Janek and the other box when full will go direct to Africa. But I'm happy to give as I don't change strings very often these days it's good to be involved.

Also speaking to Royal Mail as they do some work where they will cover some/all of the postage for charities of this nature.

But I'm more than happy to cover shipping them wherever Janek wants them, so don't worry about sending them to me as it's evolving and it's more and more likely I'll be shipping directly to the people in need.

Cheers

I'll be ordering a new set of Overwater lights for my classic J soon and once they're on I'll be sending you 3-4 sets of old ones. Still some life left in them. Probably more for funk than punk at the moment though :)

And well done to the guys at Overwater for sending you a couple of boxes full! :D

• 2 weeks later...