Why become a member? ×

fdeck Hpf

takes 2-3 weeks as Francis Deck is a one-man band who has to send his pedal to caeman first, who will then send on by the always-slow US postal service. But a very useful preamp and - as I mentioned - caeman is a friendly guy. I f you can't get hold of him I believe bassace (Roger) got his via Talkbass' drurb as middle man (his real name is Les and he seems to be one of the more senior/respected DB players there)

fdeck don't have a CE mark (or whatever the European official designation is for a tested instrument) and its proprietor Francis Deck can't afford to spend the money to get one. As a consequence he sells to the US market only. Hence you need a middle-man to get one outside the US

Cheers Clarky, I know the background but I'm surprised none of the small UK makers have taken his design forward for the Euro marketplace. People here like SFX and Orchid sell similar products that are/not CE marked...just seems odd to me? For example, my Orchid DI has the CE and I'm pretty certain John hasn't spent a fortune getting it "certified" as his business isn't exactly huge....

• 7 months later...

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1390423110' post='2345375']
Did the wheels grind to a halt?

I quite fancy an Fdeck preamp for this years festival gigs - anyone this side of the pond handy with a soldering iron?
[/quote]
Had one a while now, does exactly what its supposed to, very uncoloured sound however I dont use it live as I like the ease
of the pro plat and its graphic eq ,which is a massive help as I play upright and electric bass on gigs so the proplat takes care of the upright eq.
I dont think the notch quite goes as wide ranging as the pro plat either.
Its in the gig bag as a more than worthy backup !

Hmm. My pre of choice is the Pro Plat, but I was thinking that as the Fdeck is a bit smaller I could just tuck it in a pocket of my gig bag with my leads and tuner for the 1/2 mile schlep across a muddy field.

If it doesn't do anything above the Plat pro, then I might as well stick to the Plat.

Fdeck doesn't havean XLR out either. I like the XLR out on th Plat - it means I can give the PA a clean flat signal that doesn't change while I'm desperately clawing at the controls of the Ampeg SVT that's been provided as backline, trying to remove the subsonic feedback rumble that happens every time I hit a Bb.

I find that i don't tend to use the EQ (rarely) or compressor (never) on the Plat pro - does anyone know of a preamp that just has a gain control, phase switch, HPF and XLR DI (as well as the regular jack output)?

Edited by TheRev

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If it doesn't do anything above the Plat pro, then I might as well stick to the Plat." [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I wouldn't bother changing as you already have the plat. Both are good and I like the simplicity of the Fdeck, but the Plat does a great job and as you say the XLR is great. [/color][/font]

Hi Rev, the radial looks ok but for the extra couple of inches, I'd personally stick to the plat pro. I use all the features of the plat pro and it has come in especially useful with back lines at festivals because you can use the eq of the plat pro for the PA (via xlr) and also for the stage amp (just plug into the effect return rather than into the main input and you have full control of the stage amp too). Especially in these situations, the platpro has saved my bum a number of times.

Edited by Rabbie

The newest Headway is pretty amazing, if pricey. This is what I use. It has a high pass filter (albeit a fixed one) and while my fdeck has much more control of the low frequencies it lacks that all-important XLR out

http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product/edb-2/

for "at a glance" set up I dont think anything will improve on the plat pro. Since the start of this thread I dug out the Fdek and yes it does sound more natural, but the proplat is double bass in a box. Sometimes you need confidence in something when fighting the devils feedback, for me thsts the proplat.
Sunday Sermon over, so is the bottle of wine!