Why become a member? ×

AXE Bass guitar

hookys6stringbass

Anyone here have one of these basses?? I found a photo of my bass collection way back when and in amongst them was a black bass made by a company called AXE (i think)... Anyway it was my first bass, and i seem to remember it was quite a good bass for a cheapo. If anyones got any info on thse basses i'd like to know

[quote name='Alien' post='213937' date='Jun 6 2008, 04:13 PM']I remember them. Solid (if a little chunky) necks, cheap & cheerful hardware and electrics, god-awful plywood bodies with 1/2 inch thick polyester all over them.

Andy[/quote]

I've still got mine (i think) in me ma and pa's loft if they haven't chucked it out. I think i'll dig it out and have a look for old times sake....

Axe basses & g*it*rs turn up on the Bay occasionally. Never had one myself, but I had an Axe chorus pedal, think it was a re-branded Aria. Sounded quite nice but was really noisy & a right battery muncher. :)

Jon.

I bought one off ebay about 18 months ago for 20 quid, bought it for a project i fancied doing, the neck was knackered but the body was fine, nasty plywood,heavy as hell, i still have the body,pickups and tuners,i've just started on it, only got as far as priming the body.

[quote name='ashgeezer' post='214212' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:45 AM']I bought one off ebay about 18 months ago for 20 quid, bought it for a project i fancied doing, the neck was knackered but the body was fine, nasty plywood,heavy as hell, i still have the body,pickups and tuners,i've just started on it, only got as far as priming the body.[/quote]

Any photos, what colour was it originaly??

Got a blood red one of these. A mate gave it to me for my lad to learn on. Alex has moved on now to a Fender Jazz. The Axe is, as others have said bloody heavy. PJ pick ups, Precision sized neck. The paint job does look really thick. Considering how old it is it's in pretty good nick, hardly any knicks or dings. The one I have is in need of a good set-up or replacement electrics. I have been thinking about it as a project but not got round to starting yet. Was going to post to see if anyone had heard of them, saved me the trouble. If I get chance I'll put a pic up

Frank

I started out on an Axe bass, back in 1991. Mine was black and came with a small amp, a curly lead, and some sample basslines photocopied onto sheets of green paper. I still have the audio tape that went with it, and the lines were actually pretty decent. I sold my Axe back in 1993 i think, and hae always regretted it, and would love to get it back. Better check Ebay!

Stu

• 9 years later...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1500894131' post='3340845']
Most of the aspiring bass players I knew around that time had AXE basses or Marlin Sidewinders.
[/quote]

Marlins had the worst hardware ever. It was made out of cheese and then painted black.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1500894326' post='3340848']

Marlins had the worst hardware ever. It was made out of cheese and then painted black.
[/quote]

I borrowed one once. We were opening for another band at a rugby club do in 1993. The other bassist was using my amp so he said I could use his Sidewinder. I handed it back after one song, it was terrible. The other bassist smashed it at the end of their set. A fitting end.

Here's one I defretted earlier :
[attachment=249738:Axe Logo.jpg]

Fretboard was dyed black . Sanding revealed a nice aromatic piece of rosewood underneath .

With black nylon tapewounds and chickenhead knobs .
[attachment=249739:Defret Mk1.JPG]
Heavy, but ok in a good way .

I remember seeing these in the back of music magazines!! With a really cheesey shot of a rock dude :)
I really wanted one (I wanted the guitar as well) but ended up with a Marlin sidewinder guitar and a Vantage bass!! I think I did ok -lol :)

[quote name='marc1966' timestamp='1500820296' post='3340360']
i bought a axe bass for £60 pick it up tuesday my first bass and looking forward to learn how to play it here's a pic[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/43369-marc1966/"][/url]
[/quote]

:crigon_04: , and have you picked it up yet ?