Why become a member? ×

TecAmp - Where are they?

AKAK

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just discovered these amps as I was watching bass reviews to online as I need to get an amp. After visiting their website I discovered they have some really nice gear( with aux-in and headphone jack) and I would love to demo them.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now here is the problem, I can't find any place in the south east(let alone UK) that stocks them. Also, information seems very scarce about them even though a few have appeared in the for sale section. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Are they worth it as they seem to be shrouded in mystery.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Feedback appreciated [/font][/color] :sun_bespectacled:

Edited by AKAK

One or two are sold or traded here on BC from time to time. There's one for sale at the moment:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209318-fsft-tecamp-puma-combo-212/page__p__2116651__hl__tecamp__fromsearch__1#entry2116651

I thought about it myself, but ended up buying a similar Gallien-Krueger combo.

BB

Thanks Boris.

Funny you should say that as I was thinking of taking the plunge with a GK MB-212ii. Has all the controls that I need for practise and at 500W is way loud. I tried out a MB Fusion and loved it so GK is my first bet as I feel you get a lot for a very good price. (How are you finding your combo?)

Guess it was last minute itching that had me look at the TecAmps. But it seems a GK may still be the better bet.

Tecamp is seriously good stuff. God only knows why none of the big retailers have picked up on their stuff. I have Tech Soundsystems gear from their previous incarnation which is fabulous. The stuff is properly put together too so I doubt you'd get any problems with it. If/when I buy more gear I will definitely be on the lookout for Tecamp. Try it out if you can.

I don't think they have an official outlet here, which is insane. We go crazy over US amps, but then our close European market offers something and we don't bother.

The Bass Merchant used to be a big Tecamp dealer.

The thing with Tecamp, as with Glock, they are extremely well made and quality is no issue, so the price can be a little higher.

I once had an M212 cabinet that I should NEVER have sold...it was stunning.

I actually prefer the sound of the earlier Tech Soundsystem cabs. They changed the drivers for the Tecamp range.
But then the Tecamp amps are in a different class to the TS. Tech S amps unfortunately were getting a reputation for the odd issue. Not so with the Tecamp range of amps I understand.

I had a Tecamp combo for a while, first the 10 and then the 12 (as the former came with a minor fault so I switched). I had a look inside the box, it was nicely put together using decent plywood, with egg-crate foam on the back panel. The woofer was a Sica 'Standard Lite' series, pressed steel chassis - not their premium cast range. The 4" midrange unit was some no-name OEM pressed steel chassis. These are probably decent enough speakers, but what I didn't think too much of was that the midrange was just high-passed using a single capacitor, with nothing on the woofer. Sounded ok on the 12 but harsh on the 10 which clearly had significant break-up modes of its own, and is overall a bit of a let down for the price point - I'd be worried about blowing the mid without a higher order crossover. I must say though, I think the standalone cabs may use a different crossover/high end which may be better.

Thanks guys for the response, special thanks to Luke for the offer!

Yeah it seams crazy for them not to have an official retailer selling their stuff here. Looking at their specs they look like they ooze quality and judging by the bassist they have demoing their stuff they probably sound great for the grooving bass player(which is what i like).

The things is 'buy right buy once'. Nothing worse than getting an amp only to change it a year or so latter because it doesn't feel right. Hoping TecAmp is a keeper so we can all concentrate on the important part, Playing.

Platypus: Contacted GAK to see what they can do.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Lawrence : thanks. I hope its cost and not quality issues keeping retailers over here from offering them.[/font][/color]

Edited by AKAK

[quote name='AKAK' timestamp='1372014016' post='2120690']
Thanks Boris.

Funny you should say that as I was thinking of taking the plunge with a GK MB-212ii. Has all the controls that I need for practise and at 500W is way loud. I tried out a MB Fusion and loved it so GK is my first bet as I feel you get a lot for a very good price. (How are you finding your combo?)

Guess it was last minute itching that had me look at the TecAmps. But it seems a GK may still be the better bet.
[/quote]

The GK MB212-II is a belter. I wrote a BC review (not a desperately technical one) here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210401-gallien-krueger-mb212-ii-500w-combo/

Bestaluck

BB

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1372017875' post='2120751']
GAK stock Tecamp
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/tecamp-puma-500/29873
[/quote]

If GAK say 'please phone' I think that means they don't actually hold any in stock.

May be special order only.

Your right Molan. GAK got back to me and they mentioned that TecAmp does not have a distributor here and it would be difficult to get in a single purchase order, understanbly.

Boris: checked out your review, this maybe the way to go for my next amp. Funny but the Aux in and Headphone jack is a big deciding factor for me as where i live a pin drop can cause some neighbours serious irritation. Why do most amp manufacturers miss that for quiet a few of us we just can't practise without headphones due to where we live? :)

A few yrs back Guitar Guitar had a huge blowout on Tecamp most of which I think ended up in the hands of forum users. It's nice gear and I wouldn't have minded a go on the bad bull heads. Ironically at the time of the blow out I had a power amp in for repair which I bought from guitar guitar and they eventually gave me a refund days after the heads and combo's had pretty much sold out :(

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1372124716' post='2121982']
A few yrs back Guitar Guitar had a huge blowout on Tecamp most of which I think ended up in the hands of forum users. It's nice gear and I wouldn't have minded a go on the bad bull heads. Ironically at the time of the blow out I had a power amp in for repair which I bought from guitar guitar and they eventually gave me a refund days after the heads and combo's had pretty much sold out :(
[/quote] ... and guitar guitar forgot to put one cab on... and it sat lonely, with a pleasure pump, in their glasgow store till I found it and as I was buying the cab they gave me the pleasure pump for free! :D

Have you seen that new Virtue Camp they have with the 12" and 10" which you can select between using the side switches? WOW that seems like the best cab design ever(design not sound being the word as I have not heard it in person and youtube videos with super bassist demoing equipment is not a clear indication of what 'tone' another bassist would get out of it.)

Molan: i sense a business opportunity for someone who has a music store as obviously there is interest in their gear.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1372177721' post='2122538']
Luke I was gonna buy that cab but you beat me to it :)
[/quote] :) You should have seen me, walking from guitar guitar to st enoch's low level with my lightweight cab and the pleasure pump they gave me! One of them was lightweight, the other was big and bulky

[quote name='AKAK' timestamp='1372176103' post='2122504']
Have you seen that new Virtue Camp they have with the 12" and 10" which you can select between using the side switches? WOW that seems like the best cab design ever(design not sound being the word as I have not heard it in person and youtube videos with super bassist demoing equipment is not a clear indication of what 'tone' another bassist would get out of it.)

Molan: i sense a business opportunity for someone who has a music store as obviously there is interest in their gear.
[/quote]

the switching between 10's and 12's seems a bit gimmicky to me personally but I like the idea of different tweeters

I was wondering if those with experience of TecAmp can help identify the TecAmp 'sound' as none are to be had nearby incase i take the plunge(long time away).

A little bit about my amp playing experience first,

- Ampeg SVT-450 + Ampeg 4x10 cab
- Markbass 2x10, 1x12 and 1x15 combos
- Markbass Big Bang + 15" Traveler cab
- GK MB Fusion head into 15" Traveler cab
- Aguilar TH350 + GS212 or GS410(can't remember now)
- Fender Rumble 150, Laney, Peavey etc (the usual suspects in a studio)

Out of all of these the most impressive was the Ampeg, absolute stunning clarity and warmth worked amazing with a passive Jazz. Then the GK, very bright but with a bottom end, overall very nice. Didn't like the Markbass gear no matter what I tried to turn or how many times i played them, i also felt that the natural 'tone' of the bass was swallowed up by the Markbass 'tone'.

So the big question - where is TecAmp in this? specifically the Puma.

Any help appreciated :thank_you: