Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass

Cosmo Valdemar

Tried a Modern Player version in PMT Birmingham yesterday. It was ok but didn't really inspire me. Of the 5 positions on the switch, the 3 middle sounded utterly identical. I think the 2 pickup active model will be a lot better but then I can just see it being an L2000 copy, irony overload.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1381659120' post='2241814']
Tried a Modern Player version in PMT Birmingham yesterday. It was ok but didn't really inspire me. Of the 5 positions on the switch, the 3 middle sounded utterly identical. I think the 2 pickup active model will be a lot better but then I can just see it being an L2000 copy, irony overload.
[/quote]

I am totally uninterested in the switch, I think it's overkill. There is a difference in tonality, but not enough to provide a variation in tone that would be useful live.

However, I wonder if this is more of a "it comes in 5 slightly different flavours, choose the one you like!" thing.
You know when you pay a bass, you like it, but thing... hmmm, I wish the pickup had a bit more ooomph on the mid range... or brighter... well, the switch may just give you access to those flavours without a pickup switch (which is out of the question, right now, on that bass).
Personally, I'd still prefer they did away with the switch... but maybe that above is part of their thinking, allowing more people to like the new bass?

I still want to try the Dimension V... and I hope I don't like it. :P

I played a white one of these in a store recently, and loved it! Amazing bass for the money. Fell in love with the sound, even though it wasn't terribly versatile, to me it sounded very Stingray-ish, which I'm really in to at the moment.

The only reason I didn't buy it then and there was the gloss neck and fretboard (tinted satin would be preferable to me)

It had the tiniest bit of neck dive as it's so light. But, nothing that a leather strap wouldn't solve.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1381667630' post='2241962']
It had the tiniest bit of neck dive as it's so light. But, nothing that a leather strap wouldn't solve.
[/quote]

This seems to be being mentioned a lot on Basschat recently . Neck dive whilst balanced on your knee when you play sitting down is inherent in Fender - style basses , regardless of the weight of the body . It's because of the relative balance point when the bass is cradled on your knee by the bottom bodycut . In many or even most cases, the same bass will balance much better when on a strap. I don't think heavy bassses balance any better than light ones , it just seems like they would when you play a light one that neck dives.

( Notice how I managed to completely avoid using the phrase "strap on " there , and thus avoiding the oh-so-hilarious posts that would inevitably follow . )

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1381672360' post='2242038']
I played it standing, with a cheap nylon strap :)
[/quote]

Ah , nylon strap :) . I like to try out basses with a nylon strap so I can tell if it is the bass that balances rather than the strap that is holding the bass in place .

In that case , it might not neck dive on a strap with a bit of friction , [u]but [/u], it may well tug a bit . The root cause of this tendency towards diving on that bass is the shape of the body rather than the weight . If you look at the shape , the top horn doesn't extend as far far towards the twelth fret as it does on a traditional Fender , thus altering the balance point for the strap . Being severely neck dive-averse as I am, I wondered if that might be a problem with these basses as soon as I saw them . It looks like Fender have tried to come up with a new shape to avoid the accusation that all they have done is put a Music Man-inspired config on a Fender bass , but it from what you say sounds like gravity is working against them with the resultant body .

Edited by Dingus

I really wish I'd had my strap with me when I tried it out, as I would have had a much clearer picture of whether it would be a problem for me.

If Fender brought one out in those colours (white/black/maple) with a satin tinted neck, and added an active 2 band EQ, I think I'd have a really hard time passing it up.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1381676788' post='2242140']
I really wish I'd had my strap with me when I tried it out, as I would have had a much clearer picture of whether it would be a problem for me.

If Fender brought one out in those colours (white/black/maple) with a satin tinted neck, and added an active 2 band EQ, I think I'd have a really hard time passing it up.
[/quote]

You could easily change the finish on the back of the neck yourself, or get it refinished professionally at minimal cost.

I think Fender have tried very hard but ended up with what looks like someone else's product. Fair enough most of their selling point is based on 1950s design but I feel that this should have emulated this and Fender should avoid modern vibes that other brands will wipe the floor with.

When I first saw these , I was in two minds , but I've long since come to the conclusion that I would never buy one myself . Like Billy says , they are probaby really good in many respects , but I can't see what would recommend them over lots of other basses with their own very distinctive character . That Music Man-but -not -quite sound really reminds me of G&L basses , and if I wanted that I would buy a G&L .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381679519' post='2242198']
I can't see what would recommend them over lots of other basses with their own very distinctive character. That Music Man-but -not -quite sound really reminds me of G&L basses and if I wanted that I would buy a G&L.
[/quote]

Yes, I'd mostly agree with this. But would you be tempted in future should one appear for sale on here at a reasonable price? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381681242' post='2242224']
Yes, I'd mostly agree with this. But would you be tempted in future should one appear for sale on here at a reasonable price? :)
[/quote]

I have so far resisted so many nice basses come up for sale on Basschat at very tempting prices that I am sure that one of these wouldn't force me to relinquish my doctrine of being happy with what I have got already. The thing is, to me a Fender is all about the complex midrange and focused sound that we all know and recognise. By contrast, these basses have got a much more scooped tone that I don't really associate wuth something that says Fender on the headstock . I have got a bit a psychologucal problem with this bass for that reason . I will , of course, reserve final judgement until if and when I get to play one ( and I like the look of the pickups and bridge on these Dimension basses, I must confess) , but as I always say , if you have to think twice about whether you want one then you probably don't.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381682648' post='2242247']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...these basses have got a much more scooped tone that [/font][/color]I don't really associate with something that says Fender on the headstock.
[/quote]

That's interesting. My 76P has a definite mid-scoop atypical of the marque. Whether that's due to its one-piece maple neck I wouldn't like to say. Agree about thinking twice. I do that all the time on here. I have also thought thrice and sometimes four times, but have (mostly) resisted.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381687594' post='2242359']
That's interesting. My 76P has a definite mid-scoop atypical of the marque. Whether that's due to its one-piece maple neck I wouldn't like to say.
[/quote]

That is very unusual , I must say. You would usually expect a 76 P to be honking like a seal with a fish stuck in its' throat.

Edited by Dingus

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1372720392' post='2129239']
From the blurb: "... a special five-position rotary pickup selector switch that delivers enormous tonal versatility
[/quote]
It's not just versatility, it's enormous versatility. At least thats what she said.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1383773280' post='2269043']
It's not just versatility, it's enormous versatility. At least thats what she said.
[/quote]

A Gibson EB3 has a 4 way pickup selector. As I have discovered, the fact that switches are there doesn't mean that they actually do anything!

Still this could be a cool feature.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1383773280' post='2269043']
[/quote]

That's right. And next year's model will boast versatile enormity. That's the one I want, as long as I can play it sitting down.

• 5 months later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here but today I tried a single pickup Dimension today (the active 18V MIM one). It was OK, competent even. Lovely smooth satin finish on the back of the neck, everything seemed well screwed together. Soundwise I felt that the active EQ could have done with a bit more range, especially in the bass and scooping out mids department. I couldn't get this bass to sound "old school" without some help from the amp EQ. I wasn't super enthused with the sound - and this was through a Mark Bass LM3 into a Mark Bass 1x15 cab - no crappy practice amp here so it certainly wasn't being constrained or held back.

Ultimately, this perfectly acceptable, capable bass lacked the certain qualities to make it into my collection. It's ... alright.

I actually own one of these and cant wait to get rid of it.

I've found only two on the 5 tonal ranges are actually worth using as the other 3 have a dramatic volume decrease.

When playing with a pick, if you manage to hit the pickup there's a horrible clattering sound as well.

Though It looks absolutely fantastic in my opinion, so I'm heartbroken that it plays so awful for me.