Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass

Cosmo Valdemar

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1374675316' post='2151681']
I can't understand why they couldn't fit a tone control, you have 2 knobs one does a 5 position rotary pickup switch and the other volume but no feck'en tone!! Idjits!
[/quote]

+1! Surely the most important control. Won't be queueing for this one.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379360470' post='2211829']
+1! Surely the most important control. Won't be queueing for this one.
[/quote]

Ah but... those were the Made in China ones, has anyone seen the Fender American DeLuxe Series? Now these are interesting, 4 and 5 strings...

Check them out

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGqbupqCrjg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGqbupqCrjg[/url]

More specs here:

[i][b]"Enter a new dimension of Fender bass. Dimension basses now take their place among Fender’s greatest bass designs as the modern pinnacle of pro-level bass style, power, performance and personality.

The company that invented electric bass now brings you an elegantly original body style with all-new pickups, electronics and other fine features that let you sculpt and personalize your tone as no Fender bass ever has before. It is a level of bass artistry unparalleled in Fender history, and it is the future of your Fender bass experience. In every way, it’s an entirely new Dimension in Fender bass.

The five-string American Deluxe Dimension Bass V HH is a phenomenal instrument, with an ash body in the completely new Dimension shape and featuring a comfortable asymmetrical neck heel. [color=#ff0000]Its maple neck is crafted with a great-feeling asymmetrical “C”-shaped profile, Posiflex™ graphite neck support rods, a convenient heel-mount truss rod adjustment wheel, smooth hand-rubbed oil finish and five-bolt neck plate. The compound-radius (9.5”-14”) maple or rosewood fingerboard has 21 medium jumbo frets and a bone nut, while the headstock has a gloss finish and Stealth “A” string retainer.[/color]

The instrument’s sonic sophistication is simply unmatched. [color=#0000ff]Its dual Dimension Bass humbucking pickups are both powerful and nuanced, and its fiveway switching, 18-volt onboard preamp, three-band active EQ (center-detented treble, mid and bass boost/cut) and master volume deliver remarkable tonal versatility with any degree of muscle and finesse[/color]. Other premium features include a three-ply parchment pickguard, knurled chrome control knobs, five-saddle Fender Hi-Mass bridge, vintage-style tuners with tapered shafts and a four-over/one-under configuration, and locking strap buttons.[/b][/i]
[i][b]Hard-shell case, leather strap and 10’ cable included."[/b][/i]

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1379402810' post='2212122']
Horrible tones. Triplebucker one is like Fender doing the Ibanez ATK.
[/quote]

Is that a bad thing, though?

On the one hand, we love the ATK - best bargain Stingray sound, etc, etc, [i]ad infinitum[/i] and a firm forum favourite.

Fender do something comparable, at a similar price point, and now we [i]hate [/i]it? :)

These basses don't appeal to me particulaly ( yet ) , but, objectively, I think that the Am Deluxe ones are quite attractive , if you can divorce the uncomfortable association of Fender making a bass that is reminiscent of a Music Man Sabre . It would be interesting ( and probably quite entertaining) to hear what Sterling Ball thinks of these designs . I think folks would find these basses rather more appealing if it was someone else rather than Fender making them .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379428320' post='2212572']
I think folks would find these basses rather more appealing if it was someone else rather than Fender making them .
[/quote]

That's my hypothesis.

Still, I could quite imagine getting on with something that had an approximate Stingray sound, yet was passive and with the neck of the much-loved P-bass - which is pretty much what we have here, no?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1379428849' post='2212578']
That's my hypothesis.

Still, I could quite imagine getting on with something that had an approximate Stingray sound, yet was passive and with the neck of the much-loved P-bass - which is pretty much what we have here, no?
[/quote]

Yes , that would be a winner in the current musical climate , where retro and lo-fo are the dominant trends and show no signs of abating . You only need look at the demo videos of these basses to realise what market they have been created for . Just as their were legions of interchangable also-ran hair metal bands in the '80's and armies of would -be dissaffected grunge rockers in the 1990's , so nowadays we have a plethora of sensitive men with indie beards , plaid check shirts and way too many effects pedals . The fact that they showcase how the bass sounds with distortion ( ironically, most basses sound approximately the same with a fuzz box on them , truth be told) is an indication of the target audience for these creations . Like I said , I can't see myself with one , but, as ever, I reserve the right to change my mind if Geddy Lee starts using one .

I quite like it. Light in weight, thin neck. I had a noodle on one briefly in PMT Southend and thought a few of the settings were quite interesting. But rather than make me want to buy one it has made me want to try a MM pickup in a non-MM bass to see what it will do. Just need to decide which bass to try one in. Westone Thunder Jet, maybe?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1379430620' post='2212599']
Yes , that would be a winner in the current musical climate , where retro and lo-fo are the dominant trends and show no signs of abating . You only need look at the demo videos of these basses to realise what market they have been created for . Just as their were legions of interchangable also-ran hair metal bands in the '80's and armies of would -be dissaffected grunge rockers in the 1990's , so nowadays we have a plethora of sensitive men with indie beards , plaid check shirts and way too many effects pedals.
[/quote]

A manufacturer makes for a market. No bad thing, in my book.