Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass

Cosmo Valdemar

Regarding the Am Deluxe version , it would be a bit more enticing a prospect if Fender had actually got round to designing a good-sounding preamp . All their previous efforts have been depressingly dull and unsatisfactory, to my ears at least . Fender make some excellent pickups here and there , and it's about time they had a preamp that was worthy of them .

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1379431330' post='2212609']
I quite like it. Light in weight, thin neck. I had a noodle on one briefly in PMT Southend and thought a few of the settings were quite interesting. But rather than make me want to buy one it has made me want to try a MM pickup in a non-MM bass to see what it will do. Just need to decide which bass to try one in. Westone Thunder Jet, maybe?
[/quote]

Sandberg Basic?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1379432566' post='2212634']
A manufacturer makes for a market. No bad thing, in my book.
[/quote]

Absolutely . Manufacturers that don't tend to go out of business . Fenders' biggest problem is that they already dominate that market , so how can they make further inroads into it without taking business away from themselves? At the risk of stating the obvious , by taking sales away from their major competitors is their answer , judging from these latest offerings . My observation about the aesthetics of these basses is that the old adage that what is most current at the time is what ends up looking most dated in the future . The cheaper ones won't age well , but the Am Deluxe ones are classic enough to withstand the scrutiny of time , in my opinion .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1379573420' post='2214242']
Has anyone seen this video? The more I see and hear about this bass the more I am liking it
[size=4][/quote][/size]
[size=4]Sounds like a Jazz with humbuckers. Is anyone using flats in that vid..?[/size]

Edited by discreet

Well if Fender are going to diversify, then hopefully they'll have learned a thing or two from Gibson. Mostly to drop the "if it doesn't outsell the Precision in a month then it's getting binned" strategy ;)

On a Gibson related note - the pickguard seems reminiscent (to me at least) of an Epiphone Embassy Deluxe :)

errr..... wait! Has anyone seen this video? The more I see and hear about this bass the more I am liking it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkXfSD-CvE
[/quote]

Crikey, HH? Am now fully sold.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I'm starting to really like these.

HH in Violin Burst.

Would possibly change the pickguard.

An unlined ebony Fretless would be lovely.

But I can see the merits of this bass, as mentioned earlier, it sort of fills the gap of the roscoe beck bass, as well as trying to attract Musicman and G&L customers.

I wouldn't mind a closer look, it may be dangerous though!

Wow , in that latest video they really sound like Music Man basses. I never thought I would see the day ! I am still not hugely keen myself , but I can certainly see the appeal . Contrary to my initial impressions , I think these will be a big hit for Fender . A couple of good reviews and these will be selling in numbers , I expect .

errr..... wait! Has anyone seen this video? The more I see and hear about this bass the more I am liking it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkXfSD-CvE

[/quote]

That all sounds quite tasty, if Fender are trying new things I'd quite like to see them try something along the lines of the bass they did for the lad from Alien Ant Farm.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

They look cool, more G&L than Musicman to my ears....I think the bridge H is out of the Stingray sweetspot on the HH...(not sure). This would make the HH model more like a Bongo HH.

If they are reasonable prices they could do quite well with these. I imagine they are having to tread VERY carefully not to be 'too Stingray' to get into trouble.

I think Fender having some cool stuff out at the moment...they just need a GOOD passive 5 string PJ model to the standard of something like Sandberg. That would go down VERY well.

Edited by Musicman20