Why become a member? ×

Fender pots: sound control difficulty

Grangur

Hi All,

I've just fitted 2 Fender 250k CTS pot in my bass build. The sound is great; deep solid thump. But wben I turn the pots to dial the tone or volume all the control is up one end. So all I would be using of the total turning of the pot is about 10% of the length of its distance.

The packaging didn't say they are logarithmic, so my guess is they are linear.

Is there anything I might have got wrong in the wiring?

The bass is a p bass and the circuit is the standard Fender one with the cap betwen the 2 pots.

Edited by Grangur

[IMG]http://cdn.seymourduncan.com/images/support/schematics/std_pbass.jpg[/IMG]

I'm not sure what you are asking, but I could read you wanted a circuit diagram for a p-bass, there isn't much difference between them all.

If you can't find the problem then, map out what you have done with any markings of pots and values of parts.
And post it, we'll see if anyone can help then.

Thanks for the reply, and for letting me know I'm not communicating.

The wiring diagram I used was this one:

The problem I'm having is as follows: If we imagine the tone pot is marked with calibration 1-9.
If "1" is full bass/treble-cut. Then if I turn the pot, by the time I've turned to "3" the treble is at full.
Positions 4-9 are all the same; no change.

I bought them in seperate packs and each was a universal Tone/vol pot. Both came with a capacitor, which I have used as the tone cap.

So both would be the same. I was wondering if they were logarithmic and maybe I'd got one or both connected the wrong way round. This morning I disconnected the wiring and measured the resistance with a multi-meter. They are linear, so seem to be anyway.

While I was re-doing it today I also reconfigured it all in the circuit that came with the pups (Bartolini) This is similar to the one posted by AngelLaHash. I think it works a bit better. I don't know why, they're all variations on a theme.

I think I'll consider it done though. There's only so many times you want to keep unscrewing the pick-guard :D

Over all I'm happy with the sound. Many t[size=4]hanks guys.[/size]

Its your sound/tone so will be a bit different, more the case that you like it

I've played around with multi tone pots/switching and its very hard for me to hear the difference
The tone controls more just cut off the top of the frequency,
Mine is A500K with 0-100nF cap in 2nF steps, but to hear the differences is very hard
Would love to hook it us to oscilloscope or one of the 3d graphic eq too see it