Why become a member? ×

Which are the loudest?

Maude

I know I know, different basses, different players etc, but all things being equal which of the Innovation strings are the loudest would you say?
I mean played pizz not arco by the way.
The reason I ask is I played a gig this Saturday acoustically and I didn't feel I was keeping up with the two guitars, it may have been louder out front as being stood behind the damn thing seems to be the worst place be :D .
I'll add that I'm new to acoustic double bass, been playing EB for 20 years and EUB for just over a year. The EUB has whackers on and is obviously always amplified so copious volume on tap probably hasn't helped with technique and with better technique comes more volume.
I ordered my new acoustic bass with Rockabillys on as I'd hoped they would be similar in sound to the whackers on the EUB (which work very well) but with more tension and a bit more refinement, which they are, just not particularly loud. Saying that the D and G are pack more punch than the E and A so it could be bridge related. I did sand the bridge feet on the bass so they sit better as I wasn't happy with how they were when I got it, I'm pretty hands on and enjoy doing this sort of thing so no biggy.
The gig was in an underground cavern so strange, but very good acoustics.
Anyway I'm going off on a tangent now, back to the original question, which Innovation strings would be louder than the Rockabillys, does more tension necessarily mean more volume, I doubt it's that simple.
I've put my name down to try the Honeys and I'll probably try the Ultras after that as they seem like my kind of thing.

Hi Allan,
Good question! :)
Well, yes, tension is probably the biggest factor; so the ultras, which are basically a higher tension version of the Rockabillies will be louder, and the same goes for super silvers which are a higher tension silver slap (don't write them off because it says "slap" - its a really nice pizz string)
The other factor is how it cuts through a mix - the ultra/rockabilly has s a darker sound than the super/slap but arguably has more mids which may help cut through, though the super/slaps have more top end.... (So It could even come down to the range of the instruments you're playing with!)
I see you've signed up to try the honeys too - I think that's a good move; volume wise they'll be up there too, but as they're all such different strings, trying them yourself is really the only way to be sure!
One last thing - if you do plan on doing any arco you really should go for a metal wrap... (I.e. honey/braid) it will make life much easier!
Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Daf :)

Thanks Daf,
I prefer a darker thumpier sound sound than a bright jazzy one, excuse my definitions, so I'll try the Honeys when they're available and will put my name down for a try of the Ultrablacks in due course.
I've had another proper look at my bridge and although the feet look to be in good contact the bass side will twist relatively easily compared to the treble side which won't budge without considerable pressure (which I didn't want to try), adjustable bridge by the way, so I assume it must be pivoting slightly on a high spot in the centre, a bit more fettling tomorrow as we have an small acoustic gig on Monday.
I'm happy with higher tension as I've always prefer a higher tension string on EB, the whackers only went on the EUB as the strings it came with weren't my thing and the the whackers are cheap to try, but they sounded really really good with the rigidity of an EUB, made it more DBlike.
The band want me to bow on a couple of tracks but it'll be a while yet, just long, low notes which isn't too bad, anything higher up the fingerboard and it sounds like whales mating :D .
I'll look foward to trying the Honeys, it's fantastic being able to try strings first with the price they are.

Hi Allan,
If you're happy with the higher tension and like a darker, thumpier tone, then I think you're going to really like the Ultras :) and actually, though they're not the easiest to bow, you still can and they have quite a nice baroque sort of sound...
Also, thanks for the comment about the string trial - always nice to be appreciated! :)