Why become a member? ×

Gigged a DB for the first time!

citymariner

Hey all,

Some of you may remember that I was loaned a 1/2 size DB it have a play around with.
Well, it didn't take long to get hooked - I've played fretless E-bass but the DB just gives me so much more freedom.
The gig went down really well and had many comments on the bass, from different points of view as well.

1) sounded great - shocked with my make shift attempt at PUs

I bought the J-tone reds and found that I got horrendous feedback at any sort of gigging voluming so I ended up getting an old bass pickup and placing it at the end of the fretboard. I put a piece of shaped hardboard under the fretboard and carefully zip tied it in place. The pickup sat on some foam and again zip tied. This was then fed into a Boss LS2 with the Jtone pickup and blended together on the A+B or Bypass mode. It didn't feedback once and meant I had enough back line to hear myself.

2) looked great on stage (I have practiced performing with the DB so I'm not just super rigid)

So, I've been offered a bass at a cut price (it will be 2nd or 3rd hand - not that bothers me) - not discussed prices is yet but will do this week. As I'm plunging into this world I'm after some more dedicated kit.

[color=#ff0000]Firstly - the bass I'm playing is a 1/2 size - being 5' 10" it's on the 3rd peg. I see everyone on here has a 3/4 or 4/4 - should I go for a 3/4 or a 4/4 - bigger bass more feedback issues? or is it just a size thing/ being comfortable thing? [/color]

[color=#ff0000]Secondly - Pickup and preamp stuff - I know very little about this territory and having read around a little I see the fishman gets good reviews. I've a limited budget - probably around £300 - can anyone recommend?[/color]

[color=#ff0000]Finally - Are there any other gadgets etc. that would be worth getting?[/color]

I've a snark clip on tuner and Rufus Reid book/DVD that I practice with.

Thanks in advance,

CM

Most people use a 3/4s . The 1/2 size is more suitable for small build/ shorter/ younger player . You may have discovered that it is quite easy to play if you come from an electric bass background as it is closer to the scale length - I wouldn't recommend it though if you are a normal height and build adult!.

The 3/4 will take a bit of getting used to with a string length typically of around ± 105/106cm . If you are very tall and have big hands then a 4/4 will be fine too with a string length of around ±110cm ( the 'frets' are wider apart if you get my drift ). If you are amplifying anyway theres no great value in going with a monster of a 4/4 for that bit of extra volume.

As for a pick up well that will be a hotly debated subject - but if you are up for spending around £300 the a-dyn by Schertler is pretty darn excellent!

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1373278941' post='2135511']

So, I've been offered a bass at a cut price (it will be 2nd or 3rd hand - not that bothers me)

[/quote]

This is the way of things with double bass - most DBers would even consider a bass to be properly 'played in' until it had been through 3 or 4 owners.

Regarding size, go with whatever suits you best. There are plenty of rockabilly guys out there using 1/2 size basses because of the lower tension but at 5' 10" a 3/4 will definitley be a better fit. If you have a free choice in the matter then go for a 3/4.

Chosing a pickup is a dark art, exceeded only in darkness and artyness by the art of chosing strings.

A good place to start is a K&K Bassmax and a Fishman Platinum Pro Plus preamp (most DB pickups will need a preamp to buffer the signal from the pickup to a level more suited to your amp's input). New, these will set you back about £250. They sometimes come up for sale on this very forum. If the K&K doesn't suit you, you'll easily sell it on.

You could also do a lot worse that the Underwood on offer here:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211806-clear-out-exchange-or-sale/

You'll still need to invest in a preamp.

Cheers

Dave

Ok, thanks for the advice guys.

Really as always.

I'm thinking the 3/4 is the way to go - I'm lucky that my place of work backs onto the Lincolnshire Music Service rehearsal and storage rooms - I've a rack of double basses to play - I just need to pop in and have a play.

I understand that the PUP thing is a dark art/ hotly debated. Maybe the style of music I'm playing will have a bearing on how expensive to go...

I play in a unplugged Rolling stones tribute and a covers band with the DB. The DB is adding a really nice thump to the mix (I'm not slapping just Pizz and the occasionally arco (all that practicing with it and definitely going to get it in there somewhere!!) It's main rock stuff - we do a jazzy/ rocky version of tainted love for example and the walking bass in the pre chorus allows the song to peak and trough with its dynamics and timbre. As a result I don't think I neeed the purist of pure double bass tones if that makes sense and I'm not bastardising the use of the DB too much. Sorry if I am.

Any chance you can link to where you can get the K&K and the Fishman Platinum Pro? Searching I'm seeing stuff that's similar but there are a range with all similar names etc.

Kind regards,

CM

My first two years of DB have taught me that there is every bit as much choice in the DB world as in the electric bass world, but that being DB stuff it is always FAR more expensive. :lol:

It follows that you need to think things through pretty carefully.

Your band is "unplugged" but how loud is it? If you still manage to be loud then maybe a magnetic pickup is the way to go, but if you're at acoustic levels then piezo may well be better.

Do you have backline? If you're running your DB through your own amp then that sends you in one direction, if you're going through the PA only then that could be different.

I have both the Fishman Platinum Pro and the new Radial Stage Bug. Chalk & cheese.

The Bug is a one-trick pony ... it's tiny, built like a tank, very simple to use, sounds awesome, but can only be used if you're going through the PA. It's also cheap.

The PlatPro is a general purpose tool ... large, rugged but still plastic with bits you can break off, has knobs and switches and functions, can sound great if you get it right but can also screw up your sound, but is extremely flexible & you'll always find some way to use it if you need it. It's also (very) expensive.

[url="http://www.fishman.com/product/pro-eq-platinum-preampeqdi"]Fishman Plat Pro Plus[/url]

[url="http://www.kksound.com/products/bassmax.php"]K&K Bass Max[/url]

For rock style thumpy bass lines, you can't really go wrong with this pairing. I've tried a couple of different preamps and pickup combinations over the years and I keep coming back to these two. Addimttedly, the Basmax isn't amazing at picking up any thumb position, G string jazzy noodling (at least on my bass...) but I've found it really works well for country/folk/non-noodling jazz.

I really like the Plat pro beacuse it's quick and simple to use and because of the phase reverse switch. I've also got Headway preamp, which is much more musical and versatile, but I seem to need to speand a lot of time setting it up wheras the Plat Pro is just plug in and go. There are cheaper preamps and there are much more expensive preamps but this works very well for me. If you want real value for money and If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can download the plans for the Fdeck HPF, which is a highly regarded little gizmo which will buffer the impedance of your piezo puckup and help reduce feedback with it's high-pass filter (the 'HPF'). the guy who builds them doesn't sell in this country, so you either have to build your own or get one of the freindly Talkbassers to buh one on your behalf and ship it over to you.

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1373284757' post='2135597']

I'm thinking the 3/4 is the way to go - I'm lucky that my place of work backs onto the Lincolnshire Music Service rehearsal and storage rooms - I've a rack of double basses to play - I just need to pop in and have a play.

[/quote]

You, sir, are extremely lucky. Most of us would give a treasured organ to have that sort of choice! Play every single one and choose the one that feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry if it's scratched or a bit bashed - as long as there isn't any major damage it's all repairable. If possible, get someone else to play while you stand 10ft away so you can hear what the bass really sounds like.

Many thanks all for your replies. I think the PlatPro is a starting point. I'm sure I can always flog on etc. if needs be.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373288152' post='2135650']
My first two years of DB have taught me that there is every bit as much choice in the DB world as in the electric bass world, but that being DB stuff it is always FAR more expensive. :lol:

It follows that you need to think things through pretty carefully.

Your band is "unplugged" but how loud is it? If you still manage to be loud then maybe a magnetic pickup is the way to go, but if you're at acoustic levels then piezo may well be better.

Do you have backline? If you're running your DB through your own amp then that sends you in one direction, if you're going through the PA only then that could be different.

I have both the Fishman Platinum Pro and the new Radial Stage Bug. Chalk & cheese.

The Bug is a one-trick pony ... it's tiny, built like a tank, very simple to use, sounds awesome, but can only be used if you're going through the PA. It's also cheap.

The PlatPro is a general purpose tool ... large, rugged but still plastic with bits you can break off, has knobs and switches and functions, can sound great if you get it right but can also screw up your sound, but is extremely flexible & you'll always find some way to use it if you need it. It's also (very) expensive.
[/quote]

I do run a backline but it goes through the PA too. As I run a cross between DB and EB during the gig.
One band is unplugged the other is not so I need something really for the non-unplugged (or plugged) band.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1373289002' post='2135679']
[url="http://www.fishman.com/product/pro-eq-platinum-preampeqdi"]Fishman Plat Pro Plus[/url]

[url="http://www.kksound.com/products/bassmax.php"]K&K Bass Max[/url]

You, sir, are extremely lucky. Most of us would give a treasured organ to have that sort of choice! Play every single one and choose the one that feels and sounds best to you. Don't worry if it's scratched or a bit bashed - as long as there isn't any major damage it's all repairable. If possible, get someone else to play while you stand 10ft away so you can hear what the bass really sounds like.
[/quote]

Thanks, yeah quite a stash of DBs - they are not top spec by means - I'm sure there will be one that suits- thanks for the links too.

If you went down the Bassmax route, there's a lot to be said for the preamp from the K&K "Rockabilly" system too. It may lack some of the versatility of the Plat Pro, but you can get your hands on them for a lot less, they're tiny and clip neatly onto your bass and I've always managed to get a sound I liked from it, whether playing slap, pizz or arco.

• 3 years later...