Why become a member? ×

Bass Player wanted for Session Work (Vegetarian)

Gweb

[quote name='Bassclef' timestamp='1375436206' post='2161165']
Why is it that meat-eaters often resort to "humour" when they encounter a veg*n? Perhaps what we have to say might make you feel a bit uncomfortable so you try to deflect attention away from the real issues?

Guys, the jokes are crap and pointless. Please leave it out, we've heard them all before.
[/quote]

Indeed. They just don't want a ham-fisted bass player. What's wrong with that?

Why is it that meat-eaters often resort to "humour" when they encounter a veg*n? Perhaps what we have to say might make you feel a bit uncomfortable so you try to deflect attention away from the real issues?...[/quote]

What makes you think that we're 'meat-eaters'..? As it happens, I resort to 'humour' when encountering most situations, that's my nature. Vegans, Vogons, no discrimination from me.

It may be more informative if these 'real issues' were aired, or is there a reason for not divulging..?

[quote name='Bassclef' timestamp='1375436206' post='2161165']...Guys, the jokes are crap and pointless. Please leave it out, we've heard them all before.[/quote]

I'd have to agree with you on the mediocrity of the 'jokes', but some of us haven't heard them (at least, not in this context...), and, after all, it's only light-hearted joshing. No malice, no harm intended, and sorry if you're offended. There seems to be some super-sensitivity, here, though.

Yes, I'll stop; I didn't intend to spoil things, but I'll still be thinking to myself of the puns. I'm sorry; I haven't a clue as to why... :mellow:

Let's not forget that music/bass playing isn't just Mustang Sally down the local.

It can also be an art form and a means of social and political statement.

I'm guessing the guys just want someone involved with their music to be of the same mind as they are.

I don't see the need for extremely childish replies to the guy's advert.

There was an advert earlier in the year from someone who wanted the bass player to use a certain type of amp, and didn't want MarkBass users, that again drew a whole load of stupid replies. If someone wants to post an advert looking for a musician with certain beliefs or with a definite sound in mind then they should be able to without a load of moronic replies.

What kind of impression do they take away from this forum ?

Do they go around telling people not to bother posting wanted adverts on here, 'cos you'll only get stupid replies.

Should there maybe be a rule that if you've nothing constructive to say regarding someone's advert then you don't say anything ?

It's just a bit of gentle fun, and the OP knows it:

[quote name='Gweb' timestamp='1373479191' post='2138146']
Thank you all for your replies. I have had some enquiries and there's a couple of people who look to fit the bill, all being well!

Thanks again for the replies and humour :)
[/quote]

To be honest, a sense of humour would be a high priority for me looking for a band member, and where's the harm in a bit of light heartedness?

Does anyone care to guess whether I'm a carnivore/omnivore/pescitarian/veggie/vegan based on my post? Do you really think you could tell? Does it really matter?

I'm sure everyone here respects the request, and I haven't seen any rudeness on the replies, mainly just a genuine interest in the reasons behind the spec given.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1375482741' post='2162248']
Let's not forget that music/bass playing isn't just Mustang Sally down the local.

....... I don't see the need for extremely childish replies to the guy's advert......

[/quote]

See, I was thinking that this was actually a spoof advert. Anyone else considered that?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1375456169' post='2161700']

Indeed. They just don't want a ham-fisted bass player. What's wrong with that?
[/quote]

Probably the best post on this thread ;) ;)

Btw; I have had one or 2 serious fopics I have posted, and loved the witty comments .
The o p liked them here . I assume he got somebody, and seems to be a really nice bloke .

Some veggies need to lighten up

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1375521320' post='2162425']
The o p liked them here.
[/quote]

I suspect, as a non-bass player advertising on this site, he was probably just being polite. It sounds like his musical project is about the politics of food, so he clearly has a serious point to make. I guarantee you he'll have heard jokes like these many times before. Believe me the novelty effect soon wears off and it becomes hard to laugh sincerely.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1375521320' post='2162425']
Some veggies need to lighten up
[/quote]

Ray, I love good humour as much as you do. Please tell me why you think people feel the need to keep referring to meat, ham, beef and so on in a vegetarian post.

If an ad says "Female bass player wanted for Grrrl band" do these same people stick up posts saying things like "I'll e-male you" or "I'm a bloke but what if I wear a bra to rehearsals"?

If an ad says "Christian bass player wanted" do they feel they have to say things like "Promise you won't get cross if I don't quite nail the line"?

No. They may not agree with these "belief systems" but at least they respect them.

[quote name='Bassclef' timestamp='1375611933' post='2163339']
If an ad says "Female bass player wanted for Grrrl band" do these same people stick up posts saying things like "I'll e-male you" or "I'm a bloke but what if I wear a bra to rehearsals"?
[/quote]

I'm almost positive that someone would say something like this :)

If an ad says "Christian bass player wanted" do they feel they have to say things like "Promise you won't get cross if I don't quite nail the line"?

[/quote]

I totally would if I was sharp enough to come up with that. :D

I suspect, as a non-bass player advertising on this site, he was probably just being polite. It sounds like his musical project is about the politics of food, so he clearly has a serious point to make. I guarantee you he'll have heard jokes like these many times before. Believe me the novelty effect soon wears off and it becomes hard to laugh sincerely.

Ray, I love good humour as much as you do. Please tell me why you think people feel the need to keep referring to meat, ham, beef and so on in a vegetarian post.

No. They may not agree with these "belief systems" but at least they respect them.
[/quote]
I can imagine all of those things being said, go and read the honest opinions thread about Vicki and his cross dressing if you enjoyed these puns ;) That said you might prefer to get involved in the halal meat thread unnaturally oversized breasts is the topic title so I imagine your fancy will not be tickled by it!

Good luck with the veggie bassist search anyway, I can see the OP has a humour and if I was veggie I would at least give it a shot :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I'm seriously considering searching down the thread about halal meat and oversized breasts. But my dilemma is this - if it actually exists it is likely to have me laughing even more than I have done already at some of the comments in this thread. And that's a lot, believe me! But I am really worried about long term psychological damage. I mean, halal meat and big breasts all wrapped up on one topic! That's got to be seriously warped. If I read it and decide afterwards that I wished I hadn't, I can't exactly un-read it can I. It could turn me off meat altogether, and then I'd be a veggie too. This could open new doors for my music career, so I can't knock that either.
Ah, choices, choices.........

[/quote]

I have seen both of these things happen before, no offence was taken (though the Christian bass player wanted thread went a bit wrong later on)

Though to be fair, your jokes are slightly better than the ones that did turn up on those threads.
:)

Why is it that meat-eaters often resort to "humour" when they encounter a veg*n? Perhaps what we have to say might make you feel a bit uncomfortable so you try to deflect attention away from the real issues?

Guys, the jokes are crap and pointless. Please leave it out, we've heard them all before.
[/quote] I think humour is resorted to because a lot of people are fed up of hearing tree hugging sandal wearing hippies bang on about save the planet don't eat meat blah blah blah if they didn't try to force there views on people they most likely wouldn't get the piss taken out of them food for thought hmmm :)

Thank you all again for the replies. We have quite a a few people to go through now!

For the record, I never meant to spark debate or 'force beliefs down anyone's throat..' with this thread; as Thunderbird sort of / maybe suggests. I take the humour on this thread the same way I take it in real life; in one ear and out the other; I, too, have heard them all before; at least I think I have! I do think it a sign of some strange deep seated insecurity on the meat-eaters part; a knee jerk reaction to mock or joke but I've never spent too long researching this; perhaps food for thought? In the meantime, the jokes are fine with me.

Also, someone suggested that this may be a spoof thread; I should say it's not. It is a genuine request for someone who shares, at least, some of the beliefs of the creators of the music. This isn't a function band or the like - nor are any of the songs specifically about vegetarianism; more just looking for like-minded people. That's not to say I / we get on with all vege's... I've met plenty (of course) and plenty of them are arses. But, never-the-less; I'd like for this music to come from people with similar hearts.

As for being a tree-hugging, sandal wearing hippy... I couldn't be further from it. That stereotype is funny considering the people I know who are vege / vegan... however, I myself may have hugged some trees in my time: Junipers are my absolute favourite!!! ;)

EDIT TO ADD: This is a great forum and I'd never be put off with any banter. As well as the people who posted here, I had many PM's from others. So, at some point in the next few weeks, I hope to have this all set up. Thanks again :)

Edited by Gweb

Great post in what has been a very funny and entertaining thread. Thanks Gweb.
All the very best of luck with your band project and keep hugging those trees.
Will your band be featuring a Quorn section ? Apologies if that gags been done already.
I was a veget for 12 years ,Mrs Lonestar still is, but i will now eat anything that once lived I've heard the jokes too and find the 'ism bit the worrying thing about a lot of veggies.