Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

Just get white. My WKZ guitar head and 4x12 are white and they're not looking too shabby considering the gigs they did in Scandal and live n kickin. Get a good set of covers and don't put your beer on them!! Now there's no smoking in pubs they won't go yellow.

Where is bass gear?

Edited by police squad

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412498143' post='2569261']
Sure you can, M. I need to sell the Bergs first..or that was the plan.
oh.... and decideing what covering I wanted... :lol:
Love the white cabs but can't get my head round the practicalities...
[/quote]

[Devil-on-shoulder-mode ON]
The white 112 I babysat for a while was a head-turner. I reckon, with decent covers, they'll be fine.

:-)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1412498566' post='2569267']
Just get white. My WKZ guitar head and 4x12 are white and they're not looking too shabby considering the gigs they did in Scandal and live n kickin. Get a good set of covers and don't put your beer on them!! Now there's no smoking in pubs
they won't go yellow.

Where is bass gear?
[/quote]

Not helping :lol:
BassGear is Twyford, so just under 2 hrs from me.. but you'll spend two hrs minimum in there so worth it.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1410470324' post='2549886']
I see snakeskin S112's on the horizon, and black S212's with metal grilles and black 1126's with cloth grilles and . . . And . . . :)
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1412498200' post='2569263']
Failing that...can take trip up to BassGear when they have stock
[/quote]

Am I reading this correctly - are BG going to be stocking them? Great excuse for going up again :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1412526661' post='2569592']
First units should be arriving pretty soon :)
[/quote]

Marvellous - always being told what a pain I am for never putting anything on a Christmas list - wonder if I'll get away with one of these!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1414307173' post='2587974']
Yup - new-style S112 on the way to match my S212. That way, my old (and lovely) S112s get to stay as a pair with their new owner....
[/quote]

Not that it matter much, but the previous version of the S112 (front ported) was just called the 112. Your upcoming cabinet is an S112, your old ones were (both) 112:s. The S in the name marks the difference between the old and new style.
:)

[quote name='tks.se' timestamp='1415023501' post='2595724']
Not that it matter much, but the previous version of the S112 (front ported) was just called the 112. Your upcoming cabinet is an S112, your old ones were (both) 112:s. The S in the name marks the difference between the old and new style.
:)
[/quote]

Whoops... I've always referred to them as S112s. Sorry about that! :blush:

• 3 months later...

I bought one of the discontinued cabs last October, but only got to gig it last night. Up until then my only band experience with it has been in the confines of a rehearsal room at a local recording studios. The cab is an H115, to which I had a tweeter fitted before it left TKS. Amp is an Aguilar TH500 and bass is a 2013 Stingray 3eq with cobalt strings.

The gig was in a village hall, better than most of its kind because the natural acoustics were ok when it was empty, but larger than most pubs I would say. Only the vocals went through the pa, the rest of the band consisting of one guitar, keyboards, drums, and bass. The stage was one of those hollow sounding modular affairs so I was glad I took my homemade Gramma pad.

My biggest concern was I wouldn't have the horse power to fill a room of that size and I have spent the last two weeks trying to decide what cab to add to the TKS in order to get the full beans out of the TH500 and add some midrange that I perceived the TKS was lacking(based on the rehearsal room experience you understand). I didn't buy anything as it happens, so turned up with lowish expectations. How wrong was I...

We set up and I adjusted the amp to boost in the low mids (400hz I estimate), turned the volume up to 12 o'clock and off we went on a sound check, with a muso friend stood at the back of the hall to have a listen.

The first revelation was that I was asked to turn down a bit, to the point where my volume was exactly where it normally sits in rehearsals. The second, and very best bit about the cab, is that I could hear every single note in every single song (whoops) as a solid, clear, well defined punch all the way up the fretboard and into the second octave. Midrange was there in abundance and my stingray sounded just fabulous. You couldn't tell if the cab was a 4x10 or a 2x12 or a 1x15 because it sounded like it could have been any of those cabs!

[As a side note, I have found that if you boost mids on the Ray a little, then there is little change in the sound, but if you decrease bass by the same amount there is a significant increase in mids. I then add a bit of bass at the amp to compensate, and there is the sound I'm after].

I bought the H115 on a whim and then spent some time wondering if I should have waited for a 2x12(everyone else was). After last night's experience I am convinced that I made the right choice and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a one cab solution. I believe you need a tweeter to bring out harmonics but I had mine set at 20% and this added a little top end sparkle without sounding harsh.

I shall add to the Aguilar TH500 review in a bit because this particular amp adds to the TKS experience in quite a special way.