Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

Sounds like a great result!

Is this the 'old' taller 115? If it is, FWIW, my experience with it was pretty much the same.

In a small room, it sounded just... OK. But at the gig, with room to breathe, it's a different thing entirely. It opens right up, the mids shine, the lows are so supportive, and I never felt like I needed to turn it up particularly loud. Even with my Walkabout putting about 180w into 8ohm, it was solid and authoritative.

I've just spotted that Tommy has [url="http://tks.se/tks.se/_vframe.htm"]added a page to his website[/url] that explains the effort he even puts in to the grille cloth.

Along with the greatness of the cabs, it's that kind of attention to detail that should make others sit up and take notice, IMO.

Yes, it's one of the tall versions. Sat on my homemade Gramma pad, the whole rig is at a decent height for stage monitoring.

I omitted something quite important in my review, and this is to confirm what others have said about the construction quality of TKS cabs - top notch in every respect.

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1425199221' post='2704846']
I omitted something quite important in my review, and this is to confirm what others have said about the construction quality of TKS cabs - top notch in every respect.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/249947-tks-engineering-speakers-thread/"]Have you posted pics in here yet[/url]? If not, it doesn't exist :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1425198874' post='2704843']
I've just spotted that Tommy has [url="http://tks.se/tks.se/_vframe.htm"]added a page to his website[/url] that explains the effort he even puts in to the grille cloth.

Along with the greatness of the cabs, it's that kind of attention to detail that should make others sit up and take notice, IMO.
[/quote]

I like this.. and I appreciate that extra effort and little detail which suggests to me that people who can and do do this
do it as a labour of love and belief and have real pride and passion in what they do.
It is hard to put a price on that..and maybe you can't realistically, but it does set them apart IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1427207436' post='2727153']
Not sure that this is the best place for such a discussion chaps... This issue seems to be nothing to do with TKS themselves.
[/quote]

From tks webpage: [size=3][color="black"][font="verdana"][i][b]All UK orders are handled through [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk"]Bass Gear[/url], if you're located in the UK, contact Bass Gear to or purchase one of the cabinets they have in stock or place your order.[/b][/i][/font][/color][/size]

If Bass Gear is an official retailer of their products in UK, I guess this is a good place for the discussion.

[quote name='mSz' timestamp='1427210136' post='2727225']
From tks webpage: [size=3][color=black][font=verdana][i][b]All UK orders are handled through [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk"]Bass Gear[/url], if you're located in the UK, contact Bass Gear to or purchase one of the cabinets they have in stock or place your order.[/b][/i][/font][/color][/size]

If Bass Gear is an official retailer of their products in UK, I guess this is a good place for the discussion.
[/quote]

Fair comment - but it did look as if it was going to progress in a rather unpleasant way, and that is unlikely to do anyone any good. Better to wait till it is resolved before posting here I think...

Y'know Gareth, I look at that photo and what I'm thinking is

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/robby-the-robot-poster-edition_zpsoiyqp5fy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/robby-the-robot-poster-edition_zpsoiyqp5fy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Have you considered going the 'scantily-clad young lady' route at all?

• 2 weeks later...

Just read all of this and these cabs have my attention!

I have the same rig now as what JTUK had earlier in the thread, DB750 and DB212, love the DB cabs, like the punchiness, think I may slightly prefer the 4x10 over the 2x12, but thats just looking at it from a personal perspective rather than what works best for what I do and the 2x12 probably does a better all round job!
So, I'm sticking with aguilar for now and will be going to a TH500, with the intention of trying one of those lovely Demeter minnies at some point in the future
As for cabs, I was considering a pair of DB112's as they seem to bean obvious replacement for the DB212, was going to go white hot, but, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the price of Aguilar stuff has took a big hike up compared to were it was at a few years back!
I like the vertical stacking option and a good choice of vinyl's, so a pair of S112's look like they could be a good option for me!

Tony

Would it be too difficult to engineer removable grills, so that one could 'pick'n'mix', collect all the colour variants, change one's 'look' at a whim..? Magnetic fixture for quick change-over between sets..? A whole new 'accessory' market to be had, no..? No, I don't want royalties from the idea, but I'd be willing to test your prototype model, if it's adopted..! ;)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428070723' post='2737753']
Would it be too difficult to engineer removable grills, so that one could 'pick'n'mix', collect all the colour variants, change one's 'look' at a whim..? Magnetic fixture for quick change-over between sets..? A whole new 'accessory' market to be had, no..? No, I don't want royalties from the idea, but I'd be willing to test your prototype model, if it's adopted..! ;)
[/quote]

Depends if the speakers are loaded from front and back... but no, I don't want bits having a chance to fall off, tbh.
I've seen these cabs up close and they are very well made indeed... don't risk that with a changeable magnetic type fix...???

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428071176' post='2737764']
Depends if the speakers are loaded from front and back... but no, I don't want bits having a chance to fall off, tbh.
I've seen these cabs up close and they are very well made indeed... don't risk that with a changeable magnetic type fix...???
[/quote]

I'm confident that Swedish (and, indeed, British..!) engineers are more than capable of overcoming these potential problems and come up with a quality solution. :)

The new facility is up and running with no less than 120 cabs in production!

There's a few changes coming with some more vinyl and grille cloth options, steel grilles for the H115 and some other design changes.

Prices on some cabs are rising from 6th April. This is principally due to currency fluctuations adversely affecting production costs ($ is pretty strong at the moment and some components are US sourced).

We've got quite a few orders in the production schedule so people should be able to see / hear a few more of these around in the coming months :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1428069418' post='2737725']
White and oxblood grill is getting my attention just now.... but I'll probably end up with classic black with the silver blue
cloth in the V frame..
Love the sounds of the S112's so I use a horn in one of them.
[/quote]

I had white and oxblood DB112's for a while - looked great!

The TKS cabs I went for are amazing.
Tommy was brilliant. So helpful and accommodating.
I ordered through Bassgear and they were equally brilliant.
I think I've only seen one TKS cabs in the for sale section.
In my opinion this isn't a coincidence.
I have no cab GAS anymore

Played through these at Bassgear today with Billy Apple's Orange OB1 and Spector Helium when I went to pick up my new Berg HD112. Amazing cabs - Massively impressed with them. Completely different beasts to the Berg and if I thought the missus would let me have them too, I'd be ordering some as well.

Fit and finish was top drawer and they where the first neo cabs I've played through that didn't feel like a compromise to me.

[quote name='LLOYDWT' timestamp='1428794797' post='2744687']
Played through these at Bassgear today with Billy Apple's Orange OB1 and Spector Helium when I went to pick up my new Berg HD112. Amazing cabs - Massively impressed with them. Completely different beasts to the Berg and if I thought the missus would let me have them too, I'd be ordering some as well.

Fit and finish was top drawer and they where the first neo cabs I've played through that didn't feel like a compromise to me.
[/quote]

Which cabs...? as they aren't all NEO.