Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote]Not really. We focused on getting the best sounding cabs we could. The 410 is very compact but it weighs about 80lbs. How it turned out its worth the extra weight.

We'll probably do some lightweight Nes once the cabs get rolling.[/quote]

Found the reference: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/darkglass-microtubes-700-class-d-amp.1200895/page-21#post-18297292

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1453707741' post='2961890']
Thanks Wolverinebass!

Doug from Darkglass said the Darglass cabs so far are 210 and 410s. I know Tommy has been testing 10s, but he wasn't convinced I think. But the Doug said somewhere (FB, Talkbass, can't remember) that they where quite heavy cabinets. I can't imagine Tommy building a heavy cabinet. So my guess it isn't a TKS Darkglass collaboration. However much I think it would be cool.
[/quote]

Ah, false alarm... they look pretty, though!

• 2 months later...

NCD!

Well it's finally here - 6.5 week wait since ordering but that's all forgotten now I've got it home. Had a good try-out of everything bassgear had to offer & the tks s112 really spoke to me when I heard them.

I was really tempted by the aguillar sl112 which seemed to be more bassy but lacked a little definition. Another option was a tiny pjp 4x5 thing which was quite incredible but I didn't think it would be able to hack my current bands different needs (really impressive for the size though).

The tks is a funny little cab - seems very polite at low-ish volumes but it's very clear & articulate/musical. But once you crank up the volume (not ridiculous as I'm still in the house) & maybe one notch of bass and it really kicks - the cab definitely has its own tone & I think that's what attracted me, its just the sound I'm after whilst still being very responsive to instrument/eq changes.

Just the one for now - will get another one in a couple of months once I've properly given this one a few blastings.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/greeb0uk/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Tone cabs, pure and simple, IMO.

I put them above the SL and the Berg in that regard, in a shoot out...and we ran the cabs a bit.
I'd not use one on its own, but then I'd say that about the other 2 as well.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1461426265' post='3034564']
NCD!

Well it's finally here - 6.5 week wait since ordering but that's all forgotten now I've got it home. Had a good try-out of everything bassgear had to offer & the tks s112 really spoke to me when I heard them.

I was really tempted by the aguillar sl112 which seemed to be more bassy but lacked a little definition. Another option was a tiny pjp 4x5 thing which was quite incredible but I didn't think it would be able to hack my current bands different needs (really impressive for the size though).

The tks is a funny little cab - seems very polite at low-ish volumes but it's very clear & articulate/musical. But once you crank up the volume (not ridiculous as I'm still in the house) & maybe one notch of bass and it really kicks - the cab definitely has its own tone & I think that's what attracted me, its just the sound I'm after whilst still being very responsive to instrument/eq changes.

Just the one for now - will get another one in a couple of months once I've properly given this one a few blastings.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/greeb0uk/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

With or without tweeter?

NCD!

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

The S112 is a beautifully sounding cab isn't it?
Pretty too! I have a pair of blue ones... without the V frame. Hmmm, I maybe should have gone for that. They look amazing!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1461429209' post='3034600']
I'd not use one on its own, but then I'd say that about the other 2 as well.
[/quote]

I understand what you mean - I wouldn't use just one with my metal/hardcore band as it just wouldn't cope (though I think two would sound great) but my pop/rock band play small venues & have a pretty low stage volume so I think it'll be fine - plus in order to get to the gigs I have to walk a mile, get the train, move around the London tube network then walk to the venues so it needs to be something I can fit on a trolley yet still kick out some volume!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1461498735' post='3035120']
The S112 is a beautifully sounding cab isn't it?
Pretty too! I have a pair of blue ones... without the V frame. Hmmm, I maybe should have gone for that. They look amazing!
[/quote]

I think I've seen your blue ones - very nice! The v-frames are very much a faux-vintage thing, some people hate it but I think they look quite smart & I need the cabs to look as nice as possible because I keep them in the dining room or lounge so have to keep the girlfriend happy!

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/IMG_20160423_155703_zps5jpyizox.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Man, that colour is killer! Wish that was an option when i'd ordered mine, so very jealous! :P
Grats on the new cab!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1461510236' post='3035256']
I think I've seen your blue ones - very nice! The v-frames are very much a faux-vintage thing, some people hate it but I think they look quite smart & I need the cabs to look as nice as possible because I keep them in the dining room or lounge so have to keep the girlfriend happy!
[/quote]

the V-frame looks great. You can put a retro valve hifi amplifier on top and it would be accepted as livingroom furniture. Classy :)

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1461580324' post='3035763']
Man, that colour is killer! Wish that was an option when i'd ordered mine, so very jealous! :P
Grats on the new cab!
[/quote]

Cheers - I was going to go for just black covering with the oxblood grill but took the risk on the green, I really like it - looks good in the house but on dark stages it's probably just going to look black (which is good as it's not too flashy).

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1461602386' post='3036050']

Cheers - I was going to go for just black covering with the oxblood grill but took the risk on the green, I really like it - looks good in the house but on dark stages it's probably just going to look black (which is good as it's not too flashy).
[/quote]

Just got my second in the aforementioned combination... one sounds great but two is something else!! I've played through Mesa, Aguilar, Ampeg etc in the past and these are right up there (whether I'm using my LMIII or a bigger valve head).

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1476002548' post='3150291']
Just got my second in the aforementioned combination... one sounds great but two is something else!! I've played through Mesa, Aguilar, Ampeg etc in the past and these are right up there (whether I'm using my LMIII or a bigger valve head).
[/quote]

Looking good - I got my second one recently too.

I know what you mean about the cabs; they're not the loudest cabs money can buy but they more than make up for it in tone & are plenty loud enough for the gigs I do (both metal & pop-rock).

[url="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/greeb0uk/media/882711ef-7f00-4896-9882-cf47eebc22c4_zpsyiiv1s0j.jpg.html"][/url]

Oh yes - when I say they're not the loudest I don't mean they are quiet, they can go very loud & I can't see a need for anything louder for me (in fact I'd like to be at a gig where people feel these cabs have ran out of oomph - I just can't imagine the situation). I just meant that it is possible to buy cabs that have the ability to go louder, be that due to box size or speaker design - but it's all swings & roundabouts they those cabs [for me] either aren't defined enough, are too harsh or are too heavy!

I used 2 TKS112 cabs outside up against a loud drummer and 5150 gtr..and my sound reached further back on the Camera we recorded it on.. (where the sound was mixed by stage/backline only as we were running Vox only thru the P.A)
So, these things run very well, IMO....

After using them for 2 years, I think they are very well thought out, well designed and built cabs and they have always done whatever I've asked of them...
I've not found their limit yet.... but having said that, I'm glad about that...AND I always need to use plugs on my ears so these gigs are too loud, IMO.

I'd describe my sound as FULL but not deep ( as in bassy)... and these cabs continue to surprise me.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1476099771' post='3151199']
Oh yes - when I say they're not the loudest I don't mean they are quiet, they can go very loud & I can't see a need for anything louder for me ([b]in fact I'd like to be at a gig where people feel these cabs have ran out of oomph - I just can't imagine the situation[/b]). I just meant that it is possible to buy cabs that have the ability to go louder, be that due to box size or speaker design - but it's all swings & roundabouts they those cabs [for me] either aren't defined enough, are too harsh or are too heavy!
[/quote]

Oh, it's not that hard...
It's not just loudness,, you can dial in a very midrangey sound with no bottom and be really loud and be heard but... it won't be very... dare I say it... 'hefty' :P
edit: I'm not saying that that's how these cabs sound... just giving an example that you can be loud but not sound great. The S112 do have a very sweet sound.

I love their sound, and like you say, I found other cabs that can be louder/bigger sounding but then they're either too bulky/heavy for me to be worth it, and/or they just don't have the well defined sound I love in these.

It's because of this that for a while I actually had 4x TKS S112s. That sounded really sweet. But it was no longer practical, even if each individual speaker is light and compact.

So I'm still with 2x TKS S112, and they do very well... but in some gigs they're really near their limit.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1476104027' post='3151270']
I used 2 TKS112 cabs outside up against a loud drummer and 5150 gtr..and my sound reached further back on the Camera we recorded it on.. (where the sound was mixed by stage/backline only as we were running Vox only thru the P.A)
So, these things run very well, IMO....

After using them for 2 years, I think they are very well thought out, well designed and built cabs and they have always done whatever I've asked of them...
I've not found their limit yet.... but having said that, I'm glad about that...AND I always need to use plugs on my ears so these gigs are too loud, IMO.

[b]I'd describe my sound as FULL but not deep ( as in bassy)... [/b] and these cabs continue to surprise me.
[/quote]

That's it. As long as you don't need too deep a sound, these cabs can do very well.

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1476470545' post='3154689']
Picked them up yesterday. Not quite as pretty as many here, but I'm chuffed to bits :)

[url="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/mylkinut/media/DSCN7255_zpsqgxyjrz2.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with them, and that's the correct amp on top as well 😉😉😉