Why become a member? ×

Best flats for a P Bass guys and gals?

Mr Fretbuzz

Thinking of getting a set for my P but not used them before. Done a bit of research and perhaps TI Jazz Flats or Rotosound Jazz Flats? I like a big warm fat bass note. I normally use nickel round wounds. A shop has recommended Fender 9050CL which are stainless.

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

IMHO, first choice is LaBella FLs. Failing that (they're expensive and hard to find) I'd always go for the Lakland JO (Jo Osborn) flats.

Both of those will give you a rich Jamerson-type sound.

I used to think that phat bass notes required fat bass strings. The FLs ('L' stands for Light weight) were a revelation.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1373463124' post='2137867']
TI's are great but expensive. For £20 I like the Fender Flats on my Jazz and will be putting them on my new P this weekend.
[/quote]

Given that flats last forever, you may need to re-calibrate concepts like "expensive". :D

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1373463666' post='2137885']
Given that flats last forever, you may need to re-calibrate concepts like "expensive". :D
[/quote]

I'm a tight northern monkey, anything costing over a fiver is expensive in my book. We still have t'bread and t'dripping for tea up 'ear

;)

:-D

...bit of a dilemma , buy cheaper ones and bin them quicker if I can't get on with them or buy expensive ones and leave them on forever :-) if it was my Squire P bass I'd definitely get the Fender ones but it's for my Fender AM Standard so I'll get the best ones available and leave them on forever and when I die, sell them up North :-D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1373468531' post='2137984']
Laklands or La Bella FLs for me. Laklands edge it, and they're very reasonably priced.
[/quote]
+1

I've used Laklands for almost a year now. Used to use La Bellas but when I got a Lākland JO5 I though I should try the strings out too.

Blew my mind

I've got Fender flats on a couple of my fretlesses. I find them not as smooth as the ones on my other fretless which I bought off ebay with the strings already on. Don't know what they are but they have black silk. Anyone know what they might be (with apology for the hi-jack)

Best ever for a P-bass IMO IME etc.etc. GHS PrecisionFlats, can be got stateside for reasonable money - close second & excellent VFM are Status Hot Wires, about £20 delivered, they feel good, sound good & suit a P superbly.

IMPO TI Jazz Flats are great on a Jazz & possibly my favourite strings in the world, but for me they don't suit a P, that's a personal thing I know :rolleyes:

If you can, start with Labella Deep Talkin Flats as they seem to be the holy grail for a P-bass (not tried them yet myself but I've researched this one to death - gonna try them finally when my fretless is finished)
In my personal experience I have used Roto 77's, TI's, Chromes, Elites and Fender CL's. I have tried the Lakland JO flats on someone else's bass once and they were lovely. Made by GHS for Lakland I believe. Not tried the GHS Precision flats but they are very well thought of too for a P-bass from all the reviews I've read.
All the flats I've tried have been great but very different from each other.

My favourites are the Fender CL's. Nice and growly when new and beautiful sounding when super played in. They don't really die as some flats do and I like that. Suitable for any style of music. Great for my music, but for you?
There is no definitive answer. You're just going to have to have fun experimenting!

Best of luck,

Si.

Out of the flats I`ve tried, I liked the sound of LaBella Deep Talkins the best. Not right for the music I play, but for that traditional P Bass thump I thought they were pretty much perfect. I also tried Roto 77s (too high tension) & D`addario Chromes (great sound, but ultimately I don`t like the feel of flats).

Yep I'm searching for the Holy Grail :-D wonder how thick strings can be used without having to adjust the nut. I think I'll go La BELLA :-)
Thanks for the advice guys :-) I've found James Jameson ones :-)

http://www.thomann.de/gb/la_bella_760m_james_jamerson.htm?sid=aef259c5d1f4572be486438be1513cb3

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1373479194' post='2138147']
Best ever for a P-bass IMO IME etc.etc. GHS PrecisionFlats, can be got stateside for reasonable money - close second & excellent VFM are Status Hot Wires, about £20 delivered, they feel good, sound good & suit a P superbly.

IMPO TI Jazz Flats are great on a Jazz & possibly my favourite strings in the world, but for me they don't suit a P, that's a personal thing I know :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Going to try the Status on my P. What length for a bridge loading P ?

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1373533462' post='2138621']
Going to try the Status on my P. What length for a bridge loading P ?
[/quote]
Long Scale :) http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/stringsinfo.html

got mine from here a few months back £38 including next day delivery

[url="http://www.electromusic.co.uk/La-Bella-0760M-1954-Original-Deep-Talkin-Flatwound-Bass-Strings-JAMERSON-52-110-FREE-DELIVERY.html"]http://www.electromusic.co.uk/La-Bella-0760M-1954-Original-Deep-Talkin-Flatwound-Bass-Strings-JAMERSON-52-110-FREE-DELIVERY.html[/url]

Mr Frettbuzz,
The absolute best, THOMASTIC INFELD made I think in Austria. I was faced with the same dillema but since I found these I wouldn't use anything else.
The downside is they are expensive, I think I paid about £40 for the set about a year ago.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1373559232' post='2139075']
got mine from here a few months back £38 including next day delivery

[url="http://www.electromusic.co.uk/La-Bella-0760M-1954-Original-Deep-Talkin-Flatwound-Bass-Strings-JAMERSON-52-110-FREE-DELIVERY.html"]http://www.electromu...E-DELIVERY.html[/url]
[/quote]

The Am Std P Bass nut is cut for .045, .065, .085, .105,...so it more than likely would need to be modified if I get them. Think I'll find something with that spec or thereabouts.

[quote name='Drakers' timestamp='1373559640' post='2139082']
Mr Frettbuzz,
The absolute best, THOMASTIC INFELD made I think in Austria. I was faced with the same dillema but since I found these I wouldn't use anything else.
The downside is they are expensive, I think I paid about £40 for the set about a year ago.
[/quote]

They are the number 1 seller Drakers with Thomann.. 3000 sets sold but I read that there is a query over tension?