Why become a member? ×

Pedals with DI out?

tonyquipment

As topic suggests ..

Are there many pedals out there with a GOOD DI out?

Is there much point to them? Are they of any good use?

I saw the deluxe big muff has DI out but many said it was a bit crap and pointless

The only decent application I can see for DI is for amp simulation etc like sansamp BDDI etc..

Pointless on fuzz and distortion etc

But is it? And are there other good examples out there ? Maybe I'm wrong or not?

You've mentioned the BDDI but I would throw the MXR M80 into the mix (I've been using one for years), the Sadowsky pre amp pedal, Aguillar Tone Hammer pedal, EBS Microbass and I'm sure other BCers will add some others.

I guess the point of them is if you get your sound purely from pedals and use your amp mainly as a stage monitor, the sound guy can run his/her DI from your pedalboard which gives them a bit more control (and takes out one more thing that can go wrong ;)).

Out of the ones that I've used, the M80 is indeed excellent, and on the cheap the Behringer one's surprisingly good. Hartke Bass Attack has the feature as well, I'd take one of those...wasn't mad-keen on the EHX Bass Metaphors though, good enough unit but quite hard to 'dial in' and didn't play well with other pedals on the same power supply.

For preamp pedals a DI can be very usefull, for other types of pedal not so much, it will very much depend on what you are looking to accomplish soundwise. Use one to bypass the preamp on the tatty house rig, go straight to FOH, for recording, use to take the tuner out of the signal chain... it's nice to fall back on sometimes.

Adding to the list:

Harley Benton BDI-2000
Markbass Superbooster
MXR m80
Aguilar Tonehammer
Behringer BDDI
SansAmp(s)
DHA
Sadowsky preamp pedal
EBS Microbass
Hartke Bass Attack
Lehle BassWitch
Eden WTDI
Radial Bassbone
EXAR IB-04 IBEX

Edited by Bolo

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1373650599' post='2140277']
[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/page29.html"]http://www.davehalla....uk/page29.html[/url]

Good DI? Check (whisper quiet) and a really flexible tone shaper/overdrive/clean boost too.

Oh, and it's also a headphone amp... :gas:
[/quote]

I have one of these and use the DI at band practice. It is excellent.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1397678045' post='2426460']
I've used the DI out on my Zoom B3 live and it's VERY good indeed for the cash, even if you don't use the amp sims and effects!
[/quote]

Yep, these are very good. Another nice one is the Tech21 VT DI - basically an Ampeg-in-a-pedal.

I think that nine times out of ten i would prefer to have a dedicated DI box to a DI out on a pedal. That way im not stuck being forced to have that pedal last in the chain. At the moment i use a BDDI sim (zoom ms60b), and after that i have a sound gate, delay and a loop pedal, which all sound better after the preamp, and I toy with putting light distortion/OD after it instead of before sometimes as well. Its just my opinion, but i think having your DI built into a pedal greatly limits you regarding pedal order, and itll be luck if that particular pedal sounds better to you at the end of your particular chain.

Just my opinion though.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1397742497' post='2427012']
Aphex Bass Xciter also has a DI out.
[/quote]

I've got the new version of the Xciter - it's not bass specific this time round and has a knob to adjust the harmonics for guitar or bass (not that I can hear any difference!). I had the old blue bass one and it used to distort with a hot passive bass going in (like a SPB-3 or a Yamaha BB), but this new one doesn't. It works very well set to subtle settings at the end of a chain as an overall tone sweetener and DI.

Talkbass's resident compressor guru Bongomania is working on a new DI under his Ovnilab label. It will have 3 switchable filters, a Thumpinator style HPF, a cab sim, and a notch filter for eradicating feedback/boominess. I asked about adding an fx loop to apply an amp sim pedal to the DI output only and he liked the idea, maybe it will be included. If all this comes together it will be the best swiss army knife DIs going!

Edited by dannybuoy