Why become a member? ×

Cheap gig-worthy keyboards?

bungle

My band has just recruited a singer/keyboard player, which is lovely. However, she doesn't have gig-worthy kit, and we don't really know where to start with finding her some. Her budget is pretty limited, probably a couple of hundred quid.

All she needs is some decent organ and piano sounds. Less than 88 keys is fine, and it doesn't need any bells and whistles. Obviously we're looking second hand, but I'd really love some recommendations of stuff that would be fine to gig with. Obviously, with such a tight budget, whatever it is might have some limitations.

Would we get more for our money going down the midi controller/sound module route? Or is that likely to be more expensive? I guess it would make it easier to upgrade? We do have an m-audio usb midi keyboard, but it is only usb midi, not the traditional connector, which I think rules out using it with a sound module. Is using the m-audio and buying some sort of cheap portable laptop/netbook/tablet a decent option?

Feel free to reply as if I'm an idiot or tell me I'm asking for the moon on a stick - I don't have much keyboard knowledge!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=m+audio+keyboard&LH_Auction=1"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=m+audio+keyboard&LH_Auction=1[/url]

These are good value, pick up an 88 key semi weighted one for about £150, i think i remember they had about 7 stock sounds including a good grand piano, rhodes and hammomd B3, but they also had a midi usb interface you can use with a laptop and VST soft synths. But im sure someone may recommend something else, probably a Yamaha!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1373904672' post='2142943']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=m+audio+keyboard&LH_Auction=1"]http://www.ebay.co.u...rd&LH_Auction=1[/url]

These are good value, pick up an 88 key semi weighted one for about £150, i think i remember they had about 7 stock sounds including a good grand piano, rhodes and hammomd B3, but they also had a midi usb interface you can use with a laptop and VST soft synths. But im sure someone may recommend something else, probably a Yamaha!
[/quote]

I have the 25 key version on my desk and the standard Oxygen keyboards don't have any built in sounds. I can only dig up the KeyStudio 49i by M-Audio which has a built in piano sound only, although I'm sure you're right and they used to do one with more.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a CME UF6 pro standard Master keyboard I am thinking of putting in the for sale section, this would be great for what you are trying to do. It would give the option of adding keyboard software to get more sounds etc at not a bit payout for full size synths.
PM if you are interested having a look at the keyboard I have.

bit of info
http://www.doctoraudio.com/cmeuf6.html

Ta very glad
BIGd

You could pick up a secondhand Korg M1 for about £150. They were seriously pro and expensive kit (many years ago) ultra reliable and great on board sounds. Expandable with extra cards if you need to but unlikely if you just need good pianos and a couple of organ patches.

You may also find (very cheap, about £100) the M1R rack version. You can then just buy a cheap midi universal keyboard like an evolution for about £50. Failing this, look for a Roland JV1010 module (over 1000 patches and fabulous organs and pianos) About £100 + a cheap midi keyboard.

There are a couple of Korg i3s on fleabay look as if they would go for less than 200

They are a later product than the m1 and would do what you wanted. This was a £2000 instrument when it was introduced.

I will never moan about depreciation on a bass having bought one of these

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1376736471' post='2178503']
I will never moan about depreciation on a bass having bought one of these
[/quote]

Oh yeah, I have 2 Korgs with a combined value of around £2k plus RRP on release which I paid about £450 in total for.

The older analogue stuff has kept it's value but there's a treasure trove of stuff from the 80's and 90's to be had for cheap.

I've got a Yamaha NP11 (which I could be talked into parking with for about a ton, incidentally ;)) which ticks the boxes; not the BEST feeling keyboard I've ever used, but the sounds are good. You'd get a secondhand NP30 or 31 as well, which is the same sounds with a bigger (and slightly nicer-feeling) keyboard

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1379066262' post='2208240']
Look for a Korg 01/W or 01/WFD. They took over from the M1 years ago. Some great sounds and very versatile.

I still have an 01/Wpro (the 76 note version) which I purchased on the day they came out. Then it was £2700. I've used it professionally ever since.
[/quote]

Forgot about the 01/W, nice bit of kit.