Why become a member? ×

Jaco pastorius.

marcus bell

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1374102048' post='2145406']
Just amazing!

Been learning some of his stuff over the last few days and it's just mind blowing how good it is! And to think its nearly 40 years old!

The bass solo in havona ��
[/quote]

You don't mean to say there were good bass players 40 years ago?

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1374131856' post='2145517']
If so, they must be standing on the shoulders of giants.
[/quote]

... and don't forget Jaco died aged just 35... scary and far too young, but hey - his music lives on.

It's good he's still inspiring people today

His life was a complete car wreck ...but that maybe is what made his music the way it was! [url="http://www.bronxbanterblog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/4758_001.pdf"]http://www.bronxbant...10/4758_001.pdf[/url]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by ubassman

You might also enjoy this link to Ingrid Horn Mullers ( Jaco's 2nd wife) web site - it kind of gives you a different take on the music !

[url="http://www.jacop.net/homepage.html"]http://www.jacop.net/momsintro2.swf[/url]

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374167012' post='2146068']
Better than Jaco ? I don't think so... ;)
[/quote]

There are many players today who can do things Jaco did not do. It's the same with guitarists. Eric Clapton was once called God but there are many guitarists who can do so much more than Clapton these days. Clapton can't do what Eddie Van Halen does. Jaco couldn't do what Michael Manring or Gary Willis do. Playing moves on and develops. Jaco was an innovator. The developers come afterwards and take the instrument on to new places.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1374168379' post='2146091']
I understand the respect for Jaco on here. However, I have tried to listen to his playing objectively, but its just not my thing, just a bundle of notes really. :(
[/quote]
I only ever like him when he's playing with someone else - Joni Mitchell, Weather Report (although I prefer them with Miroslav Vitous).

I don't get it at all when he's solo.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1374167694' post='2146082']
There are many players today who can do things Jaco did not do. It's the same with guitarists. Eric Clapton was once called God but there are many guitarists who can do so much more than Clapton these days. Clapton can't do what Eddie Van Halen does. Jaco couldn't do what Michael Manring or Gary Willis do. Playing moves on and develops. Jaco was an innovator. The developers come afterwards and take the instrument on to new places.
[/quote]

I see where you are coming from , but the expansion of technique does not neccesarilly make subsequent players better than Jaco . Only creating better music would make them better . Gary Willis and Michael Manring have not made better music than Jaco did . Maybe Jaco was so great not just because of what he could do , but also the taste , style and feel with which he did it . Jaco had soul and authenticity in his playing . He was a virtuoso who said something about the human condition with the music he created . That is what gives him his stature . There are loads of other good players who have come along since Jaco , but he hasn't been bettered yet . Also bear in mind that players who have come along in his wake had Jaco to listen to and to act a a role - model , whereas he himseld was a true original with a disparate collection of influences that he synthesised into his own style . Gary Willis and Michael Manring ? They pale in significance in comparison to Jaco , whether you are a fan of Jaco's playing or not . It seems to me you are missing the point a bit if you think that because Eddie Van Halen uses certain techniques that he is neccesarilly a better musician than Eric Clapton . I can guarantee you that Eddie Van Halen definitely doesn't see himself in relation to Eric Clapton that way .

Edited by Dingus

As always with Jaco threads we are going to have to agree to disagree.

[size=4][quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374171990' post='2146136'][/size]
...the expansion of technique does not neccesarilly make subsequent players better than Jaco. Only creating better music would make them better . Gary Willis and Michael Manring have not made better music than Jaco did .
[/quote]

I think a lot of both those players music is equally as good, if not better, than anything Jaco did. But then, that is the subjectivity of this.

There are cool players, musical players, technical players and then are rare people like Jaco who are all of those but are also visionaries who do something that (at the time) nobody had ever seen or thought of before.

That for me is why Jaco stands out in a league of his own - its the uncontainable spirit of his music that I love . Everyone who knew him describes him as 'one crazy cat' , a risk taker, a guy who lived like every day was his last day on the planet, a complete genius. His legacy is that he redefined the role and possibilities for the modern day bassist - there are only a very small handful of people that can shine a light to that and to become a true legend you have live for your music and die young!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374167012' post='2146068']
Better than Jaco ? I don't think so... ;)
[/quote]

I really can't understand this sort of attitude.[size=4]Not just for Jaco, but Shakespeare, Mozart and others as well. Yes they were good at what they did, but the attitude that no can ever be better (which I know is not what you said) seems very negative and backward looking. All budding bassist, playwrights and composers might as well pack up now.[/size]

Jaco may have been technically brilliant, but his music (esp. the solo's) do very little for me (in fact bass solos generally leave me bored to tears). There are plenty of bass players I much prefer to listen to, which in my mind makes them "better".

Besides Jaco's been dead for 26 years - time to move on.

Edited by Count Bassy