Why become a member? ×

Sterling By Musicman Ray 34 CA

clauster

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1374775605' post='2153150']
Please tell me these Sterlings are awful basses and I shouldn't consider buying one.
[/quote]

I'm afraid not they are very nice basses. You can go with your heart or your head as either way they are a good choice. If in doubt go 2nd hand.

Don't let the pickup configuration influence you as its the sound thats important. My Ray35 has given me a nice problem as its one of three really basses that I love and I keep changing between then. I want to get down to two but really can't decide at the moment.

I don't know where in Kent you are, but if you're near the Sussex border I have a USA SB-2 your welcome to try?

I can't speak for the necks on the Tribute models, as I've only played American versions of the SB-2 but if you want to get a feel for the electronics it may be of help.

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1374775605' post='2153150']

One I hadn't shortlisted was the one in the title. The Sterling Ray 34 CA. The one with the skinny neck and no body contouring. What a neck! Incredibly playable and comfortable. I can't stop thinking about that bass. But it's a bit over budget. It also doesn't have a P pickup (which was top of my list of requirements) and it's active eq is on my list of no-nos. Still want it though.

I'm having real trouble finding an SB-2 to try, which (on paper) looks like it might have as nice a neck.

Please tell me these Sterlings are awful basses and I shouldn't consider buying one.
[/quote]

I played one of these last week. Great pkayer, neck too thin for me though. If it were the same as on the Ray34 I would have probably bought it. Sterling by Musicman basses are really good quality, imv.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1406973120' post='2516318'] Sterling by Musicman basses are really good quality, imv.
[/quote]
I have a Ray35 and would love a USA MM. In fact I know the exact one I would have if I had the necessary £1700 to buy it. Having said that when I took my Sterling for a set up the tech told me "that is a really nice bass, better than most of the USA ones I have worked on over the years" and he has worked on a lot of basses. That backs up what you said.

You may have come across some of my posts.
I loved mine, it didn't feel quite as 'upmarket' as the various rays I've owned, cheapo chrome work etc but nothing too bad, and had a coolness of it's own. It kinda felt like generic Korea built type basses. Sadly mine had to go back as the neck was hugely unstable and had terrible fret sprout and a shockingly badly made neck/fretboard.
Not a problem used, but I payed full new price cause I wanted the colour scheme/thin neck.
I'd try another in a heart beat though.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1407018176' post='2516763']
You may have come across some of my posts.
I loved mine, it didn't feel quite as 'upmarket' as the various rays I've owned, cheapo chrome work etc but nothing too bad, and had a coolness of it's own. It kinda felt like generic Korea built type basses. Sadly mine had to go back as the neck was hugely unstable and had terrible fret sprout and a shockingly badly made neck/fretboard.
Not a problem used, but I payed full new price cause I wanted the colour scheme/thin neck.
I'd try another in a heart beat though.
[/quote]

Wow, sounds like you got a real stinker!! I have a used SB14 that I picked op for 395. Definitely feels like a bass made for the £700 pricetag. It's built very well, and the ray34ca I picked up in the local guitar shop was the same, very very good neck. My luthier was also very impressed with the neck on it when he set it up for me, he said it's one of the best he's seen on any instrument.

I would be tempted to find a used EBMM rather than buy new, but if you can find one used, it's incredibly good value for money.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407499033' post='2521162']
They are ok but there is no way I'd pay £700 for a new one when you can pick from loads of used ebmm ones for less money that won't be worth less than £400 as soon as you walk out of the shop with it!
[/quote]

+1

it seems a crazy price...
I paid £700 for the Stingray in my avatar, immaculate, not a single mark on it, including the EBMM hardcase, 4 years ago. I see that s/h prices have not changed all that much.

I used to have a first gen Ray34 a few years ago and thought it was a really nice bass. I'd never played a real SR before so couldn't say how close it was ot the real thing, but as a bass in its own right i could find no fault with it (especially after putting a Norstrand in it)

I do still hanker after a Ray34CA though, mainly for the neck. Although liked the Ray34 neck i prefer more jazz width necks.

Im a bit confused with the posts that say these are only a couple of £100 cheaper than a real SR. Considering the CA has more of a Sterling neck, and has matching headstock its not the same thing at all (nor the same as a SUB)

I think those posts are mainly aimed at the depreciation factor. If you buy a Ray34 new at £700ish, a year from now you are going to be looking at a re-sale value of £400-450. Whereas if you buy a used USA 'Ray for £700 in a year of so it's still gonna hold roughly the same value. I've never played a SBMM so can't comment on the sound or build quality. However, the USA 'Ray that Pete mentions collecting in his above post is mine, and have to say I'm blown away by how good it is!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1407949294' post='2525660']
Oh I get the price comparison bit, totally, but the fact is this thread is/was about the basses with the smaller necks, not the standandard ones.
[/quote]
Ah yes, I see your point now! My apologies, that will teach me for not reading the whole thread!

I picked up a second hand Ray34, and as a fellow small handed man (I weep every night), I must confirm that the neck on these kids feels much more comfortable than the classic Stingray. Still weigh an elfin ton, though.

[attachment=169325:DSC01017.jpg]

That's my particular lady, picked her up for just over £400, as a nice but knock around bass. Found out recently that apparently there were only only 149 (or something stupid similar) made in this colour. A very rare, beautiful knock around bass. Great logic, aye? Bought a mexican P - bass (antigua remake) after that for similar cause, later find out there were apparently around 249 of them made. I give up.

I picked up a Ray 34 3 band eq model a few months back for £400, I am still desperate to love a Musicman bass, I have previously owned 3 USA Stingray's and have sold them all as I just couldn't find a sound I liked.....anyway I was seriously unimpressed with the sound of the Ray 34, the tonal range is nowhere near as broad as its American brother......as a last ditched effort I purchased a John East pre-amp and a Delano pickup.......finally I have the Stingray I always wanted, it now has the full growl that I always found the ones I had lacked, so I am a happy bunny, the biggest problem is £400 for the Bass plus £200 for the pre-amp and second hand Delano pickup brings it into the range of a decent used American Sterling which will always have better future values than mine but at least I have finally got the sound in my head.

[quote name='SammyDamacy' timestamp='1408219114' post='2528227']
I picked up a second hand Ray34, and as a fellow small handed man (I weep every night), I must confirm that the neck on these kids feels much more comfortable than the classic Stingray. Still weigh an elfin ton, though.

[attachment=169325:DSC01017.jpg]

That's my particular lady, picked her up for just over £400, as a nice but knock around bass. Found out recently that apparently there were only only 149 (or something stupid similar) made in this colour. A very rare, beautiful knock around bass. Great logic, aye? Bought a mexican P - bass (antigua remake) after that for similar cause, later find out there were apparently around 249 of them made. I give up.
[/quote]

I dont think your standard Ray34 has a narrow neck does it, the ca models do? By Classic do you mean the actual model ClassicRay4 or are you just using the term to sum up regular Stingrays in general because the proper ClassicRays have a standard nut width but shallower profile front to back, I presume made possible due to the high grade maple reserved for them, they are super slick!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407952518' post='2525717']
In that case id just get a ebmm Sterling instead if you want the jazz nut :D
[/quote]

You could get a Stingray SLO special (regular US Stingray with narrow neck like the Sterling). Even rarer though!